Early riser challenge

by Lindsay on August 9, 2010

in Personal Growth, Relationships

Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Here’s how a typical (work) day starts for me:

7:30 am – alarm clock goes off. Groggily press snooze.

7:39 am – alarm clock goes off. Groggily press snooze.

Repeat 2 more times.

By the time I finally jump out of bed, I’ve given myself somewhere between 20-30 minutes to shower, pick out my clothing, make myself a breakfast and lunch (and usually I end up buying my lunch because I haven’t left myself enough time to make one), tie the dog out, let the dog back in, put my shoes on and bike quickly to work. What this means is most of my mornings are spent in a frenzied rush — I don’t make healthy meals for myself, though I had the best of intentions. I don’t iron my shirts and end up going to work looking frumpy and disheveled. I haven’t given myself any time to have a peaceful, slow start to my day which is what I really love.

So, I’ve decided to embark on an early riser challenge. Zen Habits has some pretty good suggestions for how to get started here. Last night I went to bed around 11:00 and this morning I got up at 6:50. That might not sound early to some of you, but to me, it is. I gave myself almost 2 hours to get ready and wow…I really enjoyed my morning. I made myself a healthy breakfast. I packed a healthy lunch. Spent time reading, a few minutes listening to relaxing music, cuddling my dog and sipping my coffee. On the way to work I ran into an old friend and was able to spend 10 minutes with her just catching up and chatting – something I never would’ve been able to do had I followed my normal morning routine.

At the end of the week I’ll post the results of how this early rising challenge has gone for me as well as some tips (as long as I do it right!). Anyone care to join me? Maybe one day I’ll even get up early enough to watch the sun rise…

Patti August 9, 2010 at 10:27 am

WONDERFUL IDEA, LINDS! When I sleep in, I feel sluggish all day. When I get up early, I’m definitely more productive.
I’m not including my work days because, as you know, I get up at 3:00 AM to be to work by 4:00 AM. Don’t really want to get up any earlier than that on work days. LOL

Have a terrific week!

sarah August 9, 2010 at 8:50 pm

i get up early every day and i love it! granted, i leave for work later than most people, but the two hours i have completely to myself in the morning are some of the best hours of my entire day.

Lindsay August 10, 2010 at 11:31 am

Well, today wasn’t as successful because I got up at 3:15 am and stayed up for a few minutes. But I still managed to get up early enough to not rush around!

Melissa August 12, 2010 at 9:49 am

I have my alarm clock set for 6am everyday. I had to put it across the room so I have to get out of bed to turn it off, so that keeps me from hitting the snooze. I get up, make a pot of coffee, shower, dress, enjoy my coffee, and check emails. The kids wake up around 7am, so I really enjoy that hour to myself. I have been a little lazy this summer, but I need to get back in the habit because school is just a couple weeks away.

Lindsay August 12, 2010 at 10:00 am

An hour to yourself every day must be nice with little ones running around, Melissa. So far my early riser challenge has gone okay. I’m not waking up as early as I’d like but I’m not in a mad rush like I used to be, either. I like the idea of putting your alarm across the room. I may use that one!

sewer line repair January 31, 2016 at 9:12 pm

Wow, incredible blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is wonderful,
let alone the content!

quest bars February 8, 2016 at 10:38 am

Hey there! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my old room mate!
He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this post to him.
Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!