Oh My God

by Lindsay on August 26, 2010

in Miscellaneous, Spirituality

Who or what is God?

We’ve all likely contemplated that question at some point in our lives. Peter Rodger took it a step further and took that question to the far corners of the earth in his documentary Oh My God. He asked people what they thought about God. He asked celebrities, children, rich and poor, people of all religions, atheists. A multitude of belief systems were represented. As someone who balks at organized religion, it was hard (sometimes wildly uncomfortable) for me to hear some of the religious fundamentalists speak about what they believe God is and what is right or wrong. In my mind, God is inexplicable, a concept you can’t put into words. I don’t believe God is an all-mighty man in the sky who will strike you down for being a bad person –fear mongering and God just don’t go hand-in-hand. I like to think of ‘god’ as an infinite energy. I tend to think in terms of the ‘Universe’ – a positive, loving energy that is in everyone and everything. Some of my favorite quotes from the movie were:

“The heart of man is really the heart of god.”

“No matter what religion you are, I feel that God is the same to everyone. It’s just the leaders who seem to lose sight of the true God consciousness through gaining power.”

“When I think of God I like to think he’s created one race. And that race is the human race.”

“Is the God that your club worships the same as another club worships?”

“If you feel that you can name it, you haven’t understood it at all.”

“We need to feel God, not to understand God.”

“God is like an energy that gives love. And happiness.”

Click the image here to check out the preview and read more about their movie on the official website.

At the end of the day, there are as many different beliefs out there as there are people on this earth.  My favorite quote in the movie was:

“We should each do one kind act to one person each day. If we did this, the world would be a much better place.”

Who or what is God to you? Do you have a personal relationship with God or believe God dwells within all of us? Share your thoughts here!

Paul / Jen Dare August 26, 2010 at 7:08 am

No comments yet? You must have just posted this.

I'm sure I'll get raked over the coals for this but…:)

Great blog, very well laid out and I love the concept.

But this post is a travesty. Couldn't be more filled with wrong-headed thinking, inconsistency and contradiction.

There is only one true and living God and He has revealed Himself in the pages of the Jewish and Christian Scriptures in part and fully in the person of Jesus Christ of Nazareth approx 2000 years ago.

Only because we reject His true authority, kingship and love over and for us, do we go off and invent these wildly imagined concepts of gods (small 'g') made in our own image, fitted for our own comfort and appealing to our desire to do as we see right in our own eyes.

I do not judge anyone, the movie, you, any of the people in the movie or really anyone. Judgement is left to God and His son. But I do judge (and we all should, and you have even done it in these posts) ideas and concepts that contradict what God has said in His Word, the Bible.

My prayer is that we would all reach out, seek after and find the true and living God. May we forsake our idols, return to the Lord God almighty who is both the judge and the gracious, kind, forgiving King of kings and do what we were created to do, serve, praise, love Him and our neighbor as our self. He is the lawgiver and the great lover all at the same time.

Grace to everyone,
paul

Lindsay August 26, 2010 at 7:15 am

Paul,

I'm definitely not going to rake you over the coals for sharing. While I don't agree (and as you know you'll find billions of others who don't because they subscribe to different religions/belief systems) it doesn't mean I'm going to chastise you for it. I know you feel passionate in believing that you are absolutely right, just as a Muslim would feel the same and an atheist would too. We all want to believe that our belief system is what's 'right' and everyone else is 'wrong'.

In my heart, I truly believe that 'God' is the same for every single person on this earth, whether they're Christian, Jewish, Muslim, agnostic or even atheist. We're all entitled to our own beliefs and I think, if we live our lives based on love and being of service to others, then we're doing the right thing in the eyes God/Allah/the Universe – whatever anyone feels comfortable calling it.

All the best,

Lindsay

mandymcadoo August 26, 2010 at 9:23 am

My thoughts about God tend towards an idea of a universal energy connecting us all. It was funny, when I was a kid in Sunday school and we were taught about the Holy Trinity, the teachers would almost always say something about how it was hard to understand the idea of the Holy Spirit as a third of the trinity. God the Father and God the Son were assumed to be easy enough concepts to understand, but the Holy Spirit was assumed to be more difficult for a 7 year-old to understand. I found the opposite to be true. I felt I knew what the Holy Spirit was, and how it was God, but a lot less sure about God the Son and the whole fully human/ fully divine thing.

Lindsay August 27, 2010 at 4:23 am

I think kids can grasp the concept of spirit within all of us more than adults, Mandy, because they aren't indoctrinated with a certain set of beliefs yet. If the Holy Spirit is within all of us, and we're born with it, it's easier to 'remember' as a child. Thanks for sharing!

jayanne Coe December 29, 2010 at 3:16 pm

“If you feel that you can name it, you haven’t understood it at all.”

That was the bit that I can relate to. I am enjoying exploring this site. Thank you.

1997 ford explorer transmission June 20, 2014 at 6:12 am

I don’t even know how I finished up right here, however I assumed this put up used to be
good. I don’t know who you might be but definitely you are going
to a well-known blogger for those who aren’t already.
Cheers!

quest bars February 8, 2016 at 10:34 am

Good way of telling, and pleasant article to take facts concerning my presentation subject matter, which
i am going to deliver in college.