Navigating relationships with Astrology

Navigating relationships with Astrology

by Lindsay on April 21, 2011

in Astrology, Readings, Relationships

Photo credit: JimmyFor on flickr

Have you ever heard yourself saying, “Oh, he’s an Aries – I won’t ever date an Aries!”? Yeah? Well, you’re not alone. I’ve done it, too. Astrology is a topic many of us like, but most of us don’t fully understand.  Even though we don’t understand it, we want to know: should we date a Sagittarius? Woo an Aquarius? Love a Libra? It’s just not that simple. We need to start looking at things with a different perspective when it comes to how we relate to each other and how we use Astrology.

Let’s start with what we are all familiar with — your sun sign: what does it even mean?  It means that your life path, your developmental process of destiny is in many ways coordinated by the forces & archetypes within that sign. Whatever your sun sign is, it does not mean that is innately what you are. That is a complete myth. You can have qualities of that sign in your archetypal architecture, absolutely. But you are not innately your sun sign.

Your sun sign represents something you are growing into and growing toward as part of your destiny. So, when you are looking at who you want to be in a relationship with, it is so incredibly myopic to say “Oh, I am not going near a Scorpio – oh no. No way, no how. They are mean when they’re mad and have stingers that hurt.” When in reality, part of a Scorpio’s contract is to know and work with the emotional survival drives of the ego. They’re here to learn the emotional waterways of feeling and connection.

The next time you consider putting someone in a category based on their sun sign, think again. Instead, you can use the traits associated with that sign as a way of seeing what someone is growing toward. For example: a Cancer is here to work with the archetype of family: feeling safe, opening up the heart, learning how to connect and nurture and mother and caretake. That’s what it’s about, not a moody person (but oh yeah – there are moods) who never leaves the house.

The sun sign represents a force of movement into development.

Photo credit: JimmyFor on flickr

People approach Astrology as a strategy of protecting vulnerability, which completely cuts off intimacy. If we say we’ll never be with a Sagittarius or all Aries people are too difficult then we are just, in a way, protecting ourselves.

Don’t strategize who you should or shouldn’t date based on their sun sign alone. To truly use Astrology, you have to see the whole birth chart to understand the different things going on with that person. Even then you use it as a tool to engage intuition; not as a way of categorizing them and boxing them into a certain category.

———————————————–

Astrology has been a hobby of mine for a while now and I’m opening up to the world of exploring our soul contracts using Intuitive Astrology as a baseline. Is there any interest amongst you readers for this type of information? If so, contact me to talk about doing a reading based on your birth chart or a compatibility (synergy) reading regarding a relationship (past, present or hopeful).

If you like what you read here – subscribe to The Daily Awe. Subscribers get entered into a monthly draw for a free intuitive reading or Reiki treatment.

Vicki Miller April 21, 2011 at 11:53 am

This was a really good article for me, I knew that sometimes I could understand people according to their sun signs, connecting to them in that way and moving through their energy. Your way of telling this makes so much sense to me, thankyou.

Lindsay April 21, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Great Vicki, thanks! I am continually amazed by Astrology. It's so layered and who we are goes so beyond just our sun signs. I liken our moon sign as our recent past life (or lives) – that's who we are by default. Our sun sign traits are what we are here to learn to be.

Sol April 21, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Oh, Astrology.

I’m an Aquarias and I mingle with Cancers – that blackmail me for pieces of my poor soul! Astrology is not one of my primary interests, even though every intuitive I’ve worked with uses it to point out the gender of my primary guide. Bah, or should I say Hab?

Oh, and by the way, what’s the addon you’re using to get your comments so neat and.. well, neat?

Julie April 21, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I love astrology! I would be very interested if you posted more on the topic. I have been working on learning more about it but have found that beyond using sites where they instantly draw up your chart (which is cool in itself, no more searching through books) that I get lost in all the minutia of the astrology blog conversations. Not enough room in my head for all of that! My head is too crowded already 🙂

Lindsay April 22, 2011 at 11:19 am

Oh yeah Julie: the minutia (great word!) of Astrology is way too much for me at times. I follow one particular Astrology blog that uses so many words that I haven't a clue what they mean! Like, "Transitioning Quincuxes". Right over my head!

Justin | Mazzastick April 21, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Lindsay,

I have been interested about astrology for over a decade now. I am an Aries sun sign with Cancer rising. What a mixture this is. I am an outgoing sensitive take charge moody person.

Talk about your dichotomies here.

Lindsay April 22, 2011 at 11:20 am

What a combination, Justin! One of my best friends is just like you: Aries sun & Cancer rising. Oh & her moon is Sag. Incredible combo. I say the Cancer helps balance out her otherwise very fiery temperament.

Justin | Mazzastick April 27, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I have come to realize this later in life.

Sol April 22, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Ooh, I have Aquarius as sun sign and Leo as rising. I wonder what that means. My apologies for the somewhat rude comment above. It was never my intention to sound insulting. Had some bad days!

Have you heard of numerology? I find it very interesting, and it certainly was interesting divination tool to discover after I had studied astrology for a while!

Todd | ChannelingMyself April 30, 2011 at 1:44 am

I remember visiting this Mayan sun sign calculator site a few months back and thought I would share it with everyone here.

Lindsay April 30, 2011 at 12:19 pm

This is really cool, thanks for sharing the link!

quest bars February 8, 2016 at 8:50 am

If some one wishes expert view about blogging after that i propose
him/her to go to see this weblog, Keep up the nice work.