Psychic or intuitive: what's the difference?

Psychic or intuitive: what’s the difference?

by Lindsay on April 17, 2011

in Intuition, Readings, Souls, Spirit Guides

Photo credit: vpickering on flickr

I’ve been hearing from a lot of readers and getting the same question: What is the difference between a psychic and an intuitive? Opinions vary and I’m not the final authority, but here’s how I differentiate the two.

Psychic: The word psychic derives from the word psyche, which is the Greek word for soul.  Most of us, when we talk about our psyche, are talking about our consciousness. A psychic is someone who can delve into your psyche, merging their energy field with yours, picking up on information about you. A psychic absorbs and feels. Being psychic means working with feelings, sensations. When I am near someone (or even just looking at a picture) – whether I know them or not – I can feel their grief, anger, depression or happiness. Whatever is in your energy field, I can pick up on it. We can all do this. Some of us do it all of the time and have no idea we’re doing it! If you ask me, this isn’t a rare gift given to a chosen few. We all have psychic abilities.

Intuitive: Being an intuitive means that a person has wiring that allows them to reach a different vibration within their conscious mind that connects them to information that is transcendent to them. I know you read that sentence and thought  — huh”?! Let’s break it down: An intuitive person is able to get information that comes from a source that is a higher vibration than us. (Spirit guides, guardian angels and Akashic Records guides for example). The information an intuitive channels gives you guidance on what actions you should take.  Intuition is a way of getting information that allows you to “download” coordinates and directions on how to get from where you are in your life today, to what your potential holds .

So why do I call myself intuitive and not psychic? I pick up on both psychic hits and intuitive hits, so technically I’m both.  I feel the energy of those around me and I also am able to “download” information about people I do readings for to help them along their path. I simply choose to call myself an Intuitive because there are a lot of associations around the word “psychic” that I don’t care to associate with or be a part of.  Besides, in my practice I am more of an Intuitive. I’m here to give you guidance and information that leads you to transformation.

When I do a reading for you, I give you information that shows you what your potential holds for you through your soul contract. I help identify the coordinates and tell you what’s possible within your soul contract.

We all have our own unique Akashic Record

If you’ve been on the fence about getting an intuitive reading but haven’t been sure. ..(You know who you are!)

What can a psychic or intuitive really tell you?

First, I should tell you: I’m not here to tell you what to do. I’m not here to tell you when you’ll meet your soul mate, either. I’m here to give you soul contract coordinates and information that inspires you and helps you co-create your life. I can help you discern between the things you can change and can’t change. I can get information that will help you improve your life. If you’re feeling stuck or in a fog and feel like you need some direction and guidance, an intuitive reading can help you move along on the right path.

A good Intuitive knows that we come to want a reading in our most vulnerable moments and that needs to be respected as sacred. This is a sacred revelatory process, so make sure you always get a reading from someone who treats it that way.

If you’re interested in getting a Soul Contract reading from me, April is the month to do it! I’m offering them for $40. Once May 1st rolls around, the pricing and structure will change a bit. Readings are available via phone and email.

If you like what you read here – subscribe to The Daily Awe. Subscribers get entered into a monthly draw for a free intuitive reading or Reiki treatment.

Justin | Mazzastick April 17, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I resonate with being both psychic and intuitive as well. I have always been sensitive to the energies around me and would confuse what is my energy and what is not.

I read Sonia Choquette’s book Trust Your Vibes and even took an online course she offered about building your psychic muscles.

It would have been nice knowing about being Psychic and Intuitive when I was a child. The world would have made much more sense to me back then.

Lindsay April 19, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I read that book by Sonia Choquette too, Justin! Right around the time I started discovering this side of me. You're right – knowing what we know now when we were younger sure would've come in handy! At least to know we're not alone & it's not scary. I'm going to go check out your site now!

Julie April 20, 2011 at 1:53 pm

You’ve put your finger on something that I’ve been trying to work out for a while. The difference seems to be that a typical psychic will predict what will happen to you, almost without your invovement, whereas an intutive (at least, the way you do it), provides you with critical information that you can use to make choices and have clarity around those choices.

If anyone is “on the fence” about having Lindsay do a reading for them, I’ll just say,”What are you waiting for?” It’s the best $40 I ever spent.

I read another of Sonia’s books, “Ask Your Guides” but I will have to check out Trust Your Vibes.

Lindsay April 20, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Julie, your kind words mean SO much to me. Thank you! You hit the nail on the head re: the difference between a psychic and an intuitive. I've had some psychic readings where the person just mouths off a bunch of "facts" (true or not) without any real guidance. Just lays it out and sends you packing. An Intuitive is taking on more of a counseling role.

Btw – Sonia's books are good – especially for those just delving into this world of using our intuition. For someone like you with real experience as an Intuitive, you might find the points in "Trust Your Vibes" a little repetitive.

Sol April 20, 2011 at 5:54 pm

You know, I’m a psychic and intuitive myself and like Julie, I’ve been trying to work out this for a while too.

So I thank you for clarifying it. It’s strange how synchronities can occur, since I just decided to offer some free intuitive or psychic readings myself on my blog.

I really wish I could write something more useful, but for now, I feel that a thank you is enough. So thank you.

I once got a reading from a psychic/intuitive and she said I was blessed in my early awakening – referring to my age of course, but I think this ‘awakening’ has already happened. We don’t know where in our soul, though. When we do discover it, we don’t always know how to make use of it, so do we reach out or up? Do we get impressions like a psychic does, or connect with other dimensions like an intuitive does?

I have to think about this.

I wish you all a good day!

Lindsay April 20, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Great questions here, Sol. You're kinda making my head spin! 😉 It's like a logic problem: If all intuitives are psychics, are all psychics intuitive? Ah, I've had a long day and can't even think about it right now! Everyone has a different opinion on this and that's just fine. But to me, an Intuitive connects the dots for us — guides us with the psychic/intuitive hits and direction they get.

I love the URL of your site, btw.

Sol April 20, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Ooh, I made your head spin!

Thanks for loving the URL! I’ll be sure to tell it!, even though the writer is currently suffering from a writer’s block… again!

Lindsay April 21, 2011 at 10:03 am

Blogging isn't always easy, is it? When I first started, I was posting DAILY! Now looking back, there is just no way I could keep up with that now. Holy writer's block batman! Inspiration will come to you soon. :)

free public record searches January 15, 2014 at 6:15 am

Awesome issues here. I am very glad to see your article.

Thank you so much and I am having a look ahead to contact you.
Will you kindly drop me a mail?

home schooling curriculum April 25, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Thanks to my father who shared with me regarding this blog,
this weblog is in fact remarkable.

registreren February 4, 2016 at 7:20 am

I found this blog a lot awesome and I wanna say thanks. We hope that u keep going the good job!