Spring cleaning: get rid of your junk

Spring cleaning: get rid of your junk

by Lindsay on April 7, 2011

in Attitude, Personal Growth

Go from feeling like this...

A few days ago I was cleaning out my storage closet (I just love scratching things off my ‘to do’ list) and felt half exhausted/half embarrassed at the amount of stuff I had that I don’t need or use. As I threw the piles of stuff into bags for garbage, donation or recycling, I began to feel lighter. By the time I was finished, I felt so light that I worked out afterwards. (A rare occurrence these days!) I felt not only lighter, but freer. Just all-around happier.

Spring cleaning is the time when we (are supposed to) donate old clothes we no longer wear, dust off the shelves and scrub the fridge, clean out our closets and get rid of the things we use so little that we forgot we had. Spring cleaning is time-consuming and labor intensive, but it feels so good when it’s all said and done. Spring is a time for new beginnings. Out with the old, in with the new.

While you’re cleaning your closets and scrubbing every nook and cranny, think about the emotional spring cleaning you can do. If you’re like me, you might even find the cleaning itself to be therapeutic.

Take the time to ask yourself:

• What old emotional baggage am I hanging onto that longer serves me well?
  • What emotions have been weighing me down?
  • What things/people/situations in my life are causing me to feel heavier?
  • What steps can I take to deal with these situations, lighten the emotional burden, and move on?

Taking this kind of self-inventory – like cleaning – is labor intensive. It’s not easy working through our baggage (both literal and figurative), but as we do, we begin to feel life getting better. We can move around more in our physical spaces while opening up room in our hearts for love, friendship, kindness and abundance.

This kind of work isn’t always fun. It’s sometimes painful, this business of getting rid of the things we’ve been hanging on to but no longer serve us well. But as we do the work and sift through the junk, getting rid of what we don’t need, we begin to see the benefits. When we are finally finished (and sometimes while we’re still working), we can look back and feel proud and accomplished. And relaxed.

...to feeling like this.

What emotions, situations or relationships are you hanging on to even though you know they are no longer working to your benefit? What sort of work do you need to do to clean house and heart this year? Join me in spring cleaning now: physical and emotional clutter begone. Let this Spring be a time for a fresh start and new beginnings. We can do it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you feel like you might need some guidance about how to work through your emotional ‘stuff’ you want to get rid of, why not contact me for an intuitive reading? I can help point you in the direction to the right path that serves your highest purpose and help you as you work towards new beginnings.

If you like what you read here – subscribe to The Daily Awe. Subscribers get entered into a monthly draw for a free intuitive reading or Reiki treatment.

Laura April 7, 2011 at 11:48 am

You are so correct about emotions being tied to physical items. My dining room is full of items I don’t particularly like anymore and don’t have a lot of current use for, but they were inherited and carry a lot of memories of the person I received them from. That has been a tough room to dive into cleaning, but needs to be the next room on the to-do list.

I love the fact that we both posted on the same topic on the same day! Synchronicity is alive and well.

Lindsay April 7, 2011 at 2:39 pm

We always seem to do that, Laura: same topic, same day. Even though I've almost grown to expect it, it still surprises me every time! I guess we're just tapped into the Universal collective. Or at least on the same wavelength. Getting rid of family heirlooms and things passed down from generation to generation would feel next-to-impossible, I would imagine. Maybe finding a nice storage closet for them would do the trick?

Kimberlee April 7, 2011 at 2:04 pm

You are so spot on! I am feeling the need to clean out everything inside and outside of me! Yesterday (I work from home) I got up with a huge agenda for my business work. I went to put something away in my cabinet, and 2 hours later found myself still in my PJs, starving, and reorganizing the kitchen cabinets. Ohhh the life of a virgo!

Lindsay April 7, 2011 at 2:40 pm

My moon and ascendant are both in Virgo, so I can totally relate! At least we're well organized, right?! 🙂

Sol April 10, 2011 at 3:44 pm

You know..
It occurs to me that I should’ve read this sooner. Time to do the spring – cleaning, because I’m full of emotional cobwebs – WITH spiders! Horrible, I know.

Too bad I’m not very good at decluttering. Especially not in the physical. Cramped living spaces become even more cramped! To share something: there has been this relationship that I’ve had problems letting go off, but that’s exactly what was the problem . letting go. Perhaps things are simpler than they look at first glance? As you write, Lindsay, it might not be easy.. but does it really have to be hard?

Oh, and here I am rambling yet again! I’ll come back with something useful in the next article, I promise!

The kitten is cute by the way.

Sol

Lindsay April 12, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Letting go is rarely easy, Sol. Sometimes even when we know we need to let go for our own highest good, it feels almost impossible. We know we need to let go but yet…we still hang on. Believe me, I speak from experience! The first step is acknowledging you need to let go though…and you already did!

I like that little kitten too. 🙂 So cute!

Julie April 12, 2011 at 6:53 am

You know, that last paragraph was really loaded! I could be thinking about that one for a while. In planning to move, I’ve been in the throes of decluttering for months now. It’s amazing how you simply acquire more stuff to fill the space you have. I’m really looking forward to our community garage sale next month because there are only so many trips you can make to Goodwill before they get sick of seeing you 🙂

Lindsay April 12, 2011 at 10:57 am

Ohhhh community garage sale! Just make sure you don't end up buying the neighbor's junk and filling up your newly cleaned space with more stuff!

Spirit September 12, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Great post. Thanks for the share~

Jennifer Flint ~ The Aura Reader March 23, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I’ve been doing this lately myself, big time, on all levels. Shifting stuff really does shift other things, and vice versa. Feels lovely to get all the cobwebs out. Now if someone could just convince my boyfriend… 🙂