How to read auras

How to read auras

by Lindsay on May 12, 2011

in Auras, Reiki

Photo credit: leeze5 on flickr

This morning while I was standing in line for my coffee – just like I do every morning – I was entertained by a baby girl who was probably about 6-7 months old. She was looking at me and smiling and so, of course, I was smiling back and trying to engage her (helloooo biological clock). I noticed she was looking at me but seemed to be focusing above my head. I think she was looking at my aura.  Normally I’d say she was looking at the guy behind me and I’m not nearly as entertaining as I’d like to be, but there nobody was behind me.

We often say babies can always tell who is safe and who isn’t – right away their “spidey senses” go off. I’m sure you know some people who are baby magnets – they’re good people, aren’t they? Baby repellants, on the other hand…not so much.  It is my belief that we are all born with the ability to see auras and in fact, do see them during at least the first year of our lives. But somewhere along the line, we stop seeing them. We grow up and lose our innocence and with that, our memory of where we came from. And for most of us, our ability to see auras. That is unless we work hard to be able to see them once more.

I began seeing auras when I started practicing Reiki. Every time I was giving Reiki to someone, I would see beautiful colors – each one as unique as the person I was giving Reiki to. I came to learn that I was seeing the auras of the individuals. Realizing I was able to see auras was one of those “Yay!” moments in my life, but I wanted to know how to do it “on command” and not just when I was practicing Reiki.  Slade Roberson discussed how to read aura’s in his Automatic Intuition course, which was very helpful. Here’s a quick how-to guide if you’d like to be able to read auras:

• Start with yourself: Turn off all the lights and make sure the background/environment is dark. Hold your hand in front of your face and just stare at it for a moment or two. Move your fingers slowly and see the energy that emanates from them. If you can’t see it, you can feel it if you really concentrate. Most of the time the energy you see will be white/light colored during this exercise.
  • Practice on living things: Have a pet who will let you stare at him or her for a little while in a darkened room? (Boy that sound creepier than I mean it to!). Do the darkened stare/focus with a pet or a plant and you can see their energy, too.
  • Don’t look directly at the object – look around it. While you’re looking at your hand, dog or house plant, look around it and not directly at it.
  • Blink: Don’t dry your eyes out staring. You can blink and still see auras! Promise.
  • Pictures: Pictures are how I do aura readings for clients. I ask you to send me a picture so I can focus not on your face (no matter how lovely you are), but the air around you. Sometimes clothing color or the color of the walls can throw you off. Just be mindful if you think someone’s aura color is the same color as the wall behind them, chances are it’s just the wall.
  • Practice Reiki: if you’re already attuned to Reiki – fabulous! The next time you practice on someone, set the intention before the session to see their aura color.

Of course, each aura color has a meaning. Check out this article to see what your aura color represents: Aura colors and their meaning

Reading copious articles on how to read auras won’t do as much for you as actually practicing will. As with nearly anything, we need to practice, practice, practice! Give it a try and come back and tell me what results you get. Don’t get discouraged if you don’t see auras your first (or first several) tries. And if you have any specific questions, contact me. I love getting mail from readers!

Photo credit: PhotoGraham on flickr

If you can read auras, how do you do it? What tips, tricks and pointers do you have for beginners?

If you like what you read here – subscribe to The Daily Awe. Each month a subscriber is chosen for a free intuitive reading. And be sure to spread the love and share the article with friends/family/your neighbors/coworkers. I really appreciate it!

Anna Barlowe May 12, 2011 at 11:15 am

Great article, Lindsay! I should learn some more about Reiki, since I don’t know much about it.

I too seem to have some ability to read auras, but I do it clairvoyantly rather than visually. I wrote a post about it fairly recently, in fact, and included my own Kirlian aura photo, which I had taken at a psychic fair a few weeks ago. It was an illuminating experience! I recommend it.

Julie May 12, 2011 at 2:46 pm

You know, I was pretty proud of myself when babies decided they liked me :) It actually came at a big turning point in my life; before that, I used to make them cry!

I have still only seen aura colors in meditation – sometimes it’s visual, and other times, I am told what the aura color is when I ask. But I also see certain fields around people that I’m not sure is exactly an aura. For example, I will see a thick, brown mud around someone who is depressed. Once the first client told me they were depressed, I knew in future that’s what it meant for other people and it held up. Would you consider that an aura though, or something else?

Lindsay May 12, 2011 at 3:35 pm

In that case Julie, I'm not sure I'd call that an aura. It seems more like sign for you to know what that person is going through or how they're feeling at the time. Like – your guides speak to you in a language they know you are going to understand. Seeing a thick, brown mud around a depressed person isn't so much an aura as it is how they're feeling emotionally and is easy for you to translate.

I know our auras reflect our emotional well-being, but I think in this case it's more of a sign that is unique to you. I find that pretty incredible. I've never seen anything like that. Usually when I encounter someone who is depressed, I just absorb that and take it on — exhausting! I think I'd much rather "see" the mud. Teach me your ways! :)

Maria Cosby May 12, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Thanks Lindsay. I can’t wait to try it. I’ve always been able to see auras, but I’ve never tried it with the lights out. Rather than acutally seeing them, I get a “sense” about what colors are around them. When I look at your picture, I see a lot of blue and purple equally. I can see the colors, I just have no idea what they mean. :-)

Lindsay May 12, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Thanks, Maria! Believe it or not I haven't had my aura read in YEARS so I really appreciate you telling me! Blue & purple sounds about right to me. In fact, they are my favorite colors! There are so many resources out there that explain what each aura color means. I compiled a list just based on my experiences of doing readings for people and based on the tons and tons of things I've read.

Lisa at Practically Intuitive May 12, 2011 at 9:04 pm

GREAT article, Lindsay!

Some of us “feel” the aura rather than see it. I’ve seen one, I think, and that was around the head of a priest. That was cool and it happened because I did soften my focus, like you suggest.

Auras hold lots of information in all the chakra databanks. Once you learn to read them, it takes on a whole different path – it’s not about colors, really. It’s more about seeking information that can help you in a lot of ways like picking a partner, a doctor, a mechanic or even a professional intuitive! :)

Really interesting topic – I’d love to see you speak more about this.

Lindsay May 13, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Ya know, Lisa – I had never even considered that people could "feel" auras. Thanks for that heads up! And you're absolutely right — it's not just about colors (no matter how pretty they are), but rather the information that these colors can give us. I will definitely write more about auras in future articles. It's one of my favorite topics!

Kimberlee May 13, 2011 at 1:44 pm

You’re so funny!

Mama to Baby J and Bean May 17, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Hi, Lindsay–

Your blog is full of wisdom and inspiration. I don’t know much about reading auras but I’m fascinated by this post. You are so right about kids instantly recognizing good from bad. That is so clear in my oldest son. I’m wondering if some education might help my youngest son when he gets a bit older. He has a condition, Williams syndrome, that makes him unusually social and empathetic. He lacks the “stranger danger” gene which will present some safety concerns when he is a little older and has more independence. Food for thought. Thank you!

Lindsay May 19, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Your site taught me so much about WS in such a little period of time. Your little guy is so adorable he makes my heart melt! It's interesting how children with WS lack the "stranger danger" sense. I suppose it's both a blessing (anyone who meets him loves him) but also comes with it's challenges.

Rae May 18, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Lindsay~

I don’t actively practice Reiki, but my friend who does says I do similar things and I’m able to sense auras and ‘see’ them–I can’t see much with my physical eyes (I have rather poor eyesight and have never relied on them much), but I can picture them in my mind, colours and all, though I’ve never tried with a picture. I’ve learned that if you see the colours, it often connects to the chakras as well as the elements that person is closest to.

For example, my fiancee’s is strongly green with orange and red undertones. it sort of looks like this (green[orange&red{person}orange and red]green). The outer colour is the chakra which is most open–heart in his case. The inner colours are his elemental affinity–fire. I haven’t gotten around to doing this widely enough to see if this is true of all beings, but it’s useful.

The colours and the condition of them can also indicate if there’s a health issue. One of my friends has a lot of health issues and she regularly asks me to help her work out the pains in her shoulders and back. One time I noticed that her aura felt off–the colours felt dim and grey-ish. I did some further examination with her permission and found something in her leg–she had torn a muscle and just thought it was badly bruised.

One more thing–some people have gold or silver or other metallic colours in their auras. I’m not sure what it means, but it’s very rare and I’ve only found it in people with strong leanings towards various psychic-like abilities. The friend of mine who practices Reiki has silver, one of my old professors who teaches judo and has coppery-bronze, another of my friends has gold. They look a little like soft lightning bolts.

I hope this provides something to think about!

Pax Animae, ~Rae

Lindsay May 19, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Rae, your skills are INCREDIBLE! You should consider using these to help others beyond just friends/family. I'd actually be interested in chatting with you about your experiences and all you've learned. (PS – My middle name is Rae)!

reeling in the years June 7, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Fascinating–my late mother studied this for years. My daughter could pick up on auras when she was a child.

Lindsay June 7, 2011 at 6:36 pm

I strongly believe that psychic abilities are passed down from generation to generation. Not that reading auras is a “psychic” thing, per se…but it sounds like your mom passed down the ‘gift’ to your daughter. I believe we can ALL see auras, but some of us can just seem the more readily than others, without trying. I would love to speak with a kid who can see them to hear how they describe auras. How did your daughter describe it when she was little?

Clara August 3, 2011 at 5:21 am

HI! I’m wondering if, with practice, we can all see auras without doing anything much… I used to be able to see an aura of a news reporter on TV every time there’s news when I was a young kid (It’s weird but I’m only able to see hers and not anyone else’s, AND on TV…). I don’t suppose I’m able to see anything surrounding things now, have I lose my power or what?

Lindsay August 3, 2011 at 9:13 am

You haven’t lost your power, Clara. I firmly believe we all have the ability to read/see auras and we all did when we were younger. Do you have a copy of my eBook, “Aura Reading: 101″? It is free for all subscribers. It’s a comprehensive guide to aura reading and explains that everyone can get their aura reading abilities back (and honed)!

Nurse Hatchet November 21, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I read a girls aura at County chorus. It was light blue

Lindsay November 22, 2011 at 7:29 am

That’s great! Did you intentionally try to read it, or it happened naturally?

Nick December 28, 2011 at 10:42 am

Very interesting ! It amazes me how different everyone’s experience is when it comes to giving and receiving reiki. I can see auras (takes a bit of focusing) fairly naturally on people however when doing reiki I only see purple. When doing reiki and closing my eyes I also see the online of my hands in purple as well and now I’m curious … when performing reiki are you seeing the auras with your eyes open or closed ?

Nick

Lindsay December 28, 2011 at 10:50 am

Hi Nick! Nice to hear from you. When I see the colors during Reiki, it is with my eyes closed. I’m willing to bet that the purple you’re seeing is the Reiki energy…I usually see it as white, but purple makes sense to me – it is the color associated with our 3rd eye chakra, after all!

Deevendra Jugmohan May 29, 2012 at 8:10 am

I GET A BURNING SENSATION IN MY LEFT HAND PALM.DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT MEANS?ALSO A STAR SHAPE FORMING IN THE SAME PALM.

Lindsay May 29, 2012 at 9:19 am

Hmmm…not a clue! I’d consult with a palm reader for that. :)

Vani Devi September 3, 2012 at 4:58 pm

As a child and into young adulthood, I was very, very in tune with my spiritual gifts. Life happened and now I’ve come full circle in a lot of ways, and am trying to again find things that I had buried. I have always been able to sense auras rather than see them. For example, I can meet someone and within seconds have a color pop into my head and then interpret it, without actually getting the visual. My coolest experience ever with this was a woman’s “kaleidoscope” (that’s the closest I can get to actually describing it) aura. It was the closest I ever got to actually seeing one and appeared in flecks of shimmering rainbow colors all around her. Stunning! I later found out she was a very advanced spiritual worker, and a very compassionate person who lived outside of herself. Almost like she wasn’t human at all… Anyway, I am trying to redevelop that skill, and would love to be able to see as well as feel, as I believe it may give me more depth to readings. I have also had a sense of healing. My hands get hot and I feel my heart chakra burst open and things seem to happen on their own after that. I have a family and a career path now, and almost don’t know where to start. I just feel like I’m supposed to do…something.

Jonathan Landriault September 18, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Hi Lindsay, my names Jonathan and i’m 13. I have been training myself to see auras for about a year and a half now, And i am great at seeing them now ^-^ Ok so i was in one of my classes the other day and i looked at my teachers aura, It was light Green, Its quite accurate. I know it is cause my teacher’s personality is just like a green aura. Hmm also i check mine everyday and today i have a light green aura on my palm chakras, and my crown all the way to my crown, A sky blue aura on my third eye, throat, heart and my solar plexus chakras. I’ love just randomly checking my aura cause its just so cool and amazing. I never gave up, kept working at it and had an awesome time doing it! I am truly happy that i succeeded! G’day Lindsey and good luck with your reiki energy work! ^-^

Lindsay September 19, 2012 at 7:22 am

Hi Jonathan,

What a gift you have! I’d love to hear more about your experience: how did you first get into this? Does your teacher teach you 1:1 or in a class of other kids your age? I am thinking about opening up a course/class for kids who are intuitive/psychically sensitive and would love your feedback on what is best.

Keep up the good work – so much good ahead of you, Jonathan!

Lili January 24, 2013 at 4:22 pm

I know I am entering into this conversation pretty late, but perhaps somebody still checks in. This may be a funny question, but maybe not. My whole life I have seen auras, according to my mom, I started speaking of a persons “colorful butterflies” around the age 2 or 3, throughout my childhood and into my teen years I believed I had magic eyes…in hindsight, although I didnt know it, I was seeing auras. As an adult, I “shut off” my senses, never studied auras, denied the whole concept all together. Well after teaching a yoga class lastnight, my students started talking about auras and it came up that I can to see them, they all asked if I could read theirs. It was very easy to tune in again, all I had to do was look. Well, this morning, the auras are everywhere, the trees, plants, animals, my family of course, even the wood furniture. So here’s the weird question, how do I turn it off? I don’t want this “gift”, quite frankly, it hurts my eyes. I have extreme sensitivity to light and all of the energy is blinding. Is it possible to turn off again, or do I just need accept it, study the auras, and learn to control it? Thanks for any help :)