From freaky to fitting in

by Lindsay on June 16, 2011

in Attitude, Empath, Kindness, Personal Growth, Relationships, Souls

Photo credit: Janak Prajapati on flickr

Remember that quiet girl in your classroom who would sink down into her chair and blend in, turning the darkest shade of crimson when anyone would mention her name? The only with only a few other friends – the other outcasts? That girl was me in high school. I spent a lot of my life feeling like an outsider, living in my own little world – daydreaming about the life I would have some day, knowing there was more to life than the day-to-day mundane routine, yet having no idea how to get there. Wherever there was. I felt lonesome. A lot.

Yet at the same time, knowing I didn’t fit in didn’t bother me too terribly. I didn’t try to fit in. Okay, there was that one time I tried to be a cheerleader, but I failed myself and the other cheerleaders miserably. What I really yearned for was to find people who were like me – ones who believed in ghosts and sometimes saw them. No big deal, right? Growing up in a tiny town in Central PA, I was pretty convinced I was the only weirdo on the planet.

But…not anymore.

Lightworkers are moths to each other’s shine. ~ Slade Roberson

For quite some time, my best friend was my outlet and she had to hear all about what book on spirituality or intuition I was reading and how I felt about it – in excess. I’m sure she got tired of it, but bless her little lightworker heart, she always let me talk. And talk. And talk.

But now, she’s getting some relief. I’m meeting more people who I can not only talk to about this part of my life journey, but people who are sharing this same path. If you would’ve told the shy & quiet empath from Central PA that she’d meet other people just like her some day, she might not have jumped around in a cheerleading skirt for months in a desperate attempt to fit in. Just sayin’.

Slade says in his article “Jack Daniels Makes You Telepathic”, “no matter where I find myself or within what degree of diverse company, all manner of shamen, priests, neo-pagans, Radical Faeries, Reiki masters, energy healers, psychics…”

It’s just so true. Now, wherever I go I’m attracting other people like me to me. I’m meeting other lightworkers in droves. And I love it.

Take my friend Victoria, for example. (You should go visit her site. Victoria is an amazing human being and even if you’re not in Toronto, I know you could benefit from her wisdom. Or recipes!). Here’s our story…

A couple of months ago I began training to become a Hospice Toronto volunteer. I knew I’d be meeting other nurturing souls throughout the intense training. What I didn’t expect was to meet one of these souls who recognized me from my website.

Victoria approached me in the beginning of our training and sweetly told me she recognized me from The Daily Awe. I saw her light shining instantly and knew we’d be friends for a long time.

Out of all the people in that room – and out of almost 3 million people in the city we live in – our souls converged in the same room, for the same purpose, gathered around the same cookie plate. How incredible is that?

Lightworkers & spiritual people know this: when you find someone to talk to about this stuff freely, you talk. I’ve got plenty of online buddies who are in the same line of work that I am. And they have been my lifeline for the past year. I’ve learned an incredible amount from these people and I’m so blessed to have them in my life. But nothing feels as good as connecting face-to-face with a like-minded person who nods her head and gives you great ideas for your next article. Or gives you snippets of wisdom on how to attract more abundance into your life while having a genuine interest (instead of a scared look) while you’re sharing your passion.

So how can you meet other people just like you?

Here’s what I’ve noticed: the more open I become to talking about my beliefs, energy medicine & my intuitive abilities…the more I am attracting like-minded people into my life.

As Slade says, we lightworkers just find each other, no matter where we are. But I’d like to add: you’ve got to wear it with pride. Let your light shine, so to speak. Talk about it, even when people look at you like you’re the weirdest person they’ve ever encountered. (And it’ll happen, believe me!).

Don’t slink deeply into your chair and daydream about the friends you could have, if only…put yourself out there and let it be known who you are and what you believe.

Have faith that you’ll attract the right people into your life at the right time. And these right people will be awesome.

Have a story to share about attracting like-minded people into your life? Share it here!

Like this article? Why not subscribe to The Daily Awe? No spam ever, I promise! Subscribers get cool deals every once in a while and my gratitude.

Anna Barlowe June 16, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Funny, I’ve been thinking about hospice training too lately. Do you like it? I too love meeting likeminded people through blogging, etc. Just love it. How else would we ever find these people? :)

Lindsay June 16, 2011 at 11:12 pm

I absolutely love Hospice and I think you’d be great at it. The training is really intense – I suppose that weeds out those are aren’t fully committed. I love the Internet for introducing me to so many awesome people — like you!

Laura June 17, 2011 at 11:08 am

I agree that finding online friends with similar interests is great, but you are correct that it is so wonderful to connect face to face with someone. I have found like-minded people at a local metaphysical store that I am able to talk to and it always feels so good to connect in person.

That’s awesome that someone recognized you from your blog!

I wish you the best on your hospice training. Wow!

Lindsay June 17, 2011 at 11:37 am

Thank you, Laura! I’m so glad you’ve been able to connect with other people like us in person, too. :) I’m a little on the shy side, so I always appreciate it when someone approaches me FIRST!

Heather June 17, 2011 at 11:09 am

Wow Lindsay, you could have been describing my time in high school!and I was living in Central PA too! wish we would’ve known each other then. I actually tried out for the cheerleading team too but didn’t make it (fortunately). This is a great post and a wonderful reminder to put myself out there…which I sometimes shy away from. I checked out Victoria’s website and it has a lot of great info, those recipes are right up my alley!

Lindsay June 17, 2011 at 11:38 am

I wish we would’ve known each other then too, Heather! Our similarities are so awesome, don’t you think? I’ll let Victoria know you like her website! Thanks for checking it out!

Kenya June 17, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Thank you so much for letting your light shine and for you being you…because if you blended in…I would have noticed YOU!

Lindsay June 17, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Kenya what a kind message for me! You made my afternoon. Thank you! :)

Julie | A Clear Sign June 17, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I was over there growing up in NJ, although I think it was more bookworm than geek, or are those two things synonymous? :) Nonetheless, it’s awesome that you have found likeminded friends in person! I don’t think I have yet; the only people I knowingly have encountered were the ones who came right up to me before I even knew I was intuitive and started talking about their past lives and handing me business cards for crystal healing and psychic readers (I guess they saw me for what I was before I knew it myself, so there you go!) I did recently run into a TKD instructor of my little guy who I felt something was going on with – maybe I was just picking up similar energy.

Maybe one of these days Slade will have a party in his livingroom and we can all go :)

I will go check out your friend’s website.

Lindsay June 17, 2011 at 2:14 pm

haha Julie yep — sounds like those people recognized you for who you are long before you did!

And a party at Slade’s would be AWESOME! Can you imagine the conversations we’d all have? Let’s propose the idea to him, shall we? :)

Julie | A Clear Sign June 17, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I think he did post something fairly recently about doing a course or weekend at his house, I can’t remember exactly…can you imagine him surrounded by all of us women driving him crazy?? I totally think we should!

Lindsay June 17, 2011 at 3:47 pm

haha! How did I miss THAT? I can only imagine Slade surrounded by all of us females – the energy in that house would be incredible!

Lindsay June 17, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Btw – I was a bookworm, too. :) Those can *sometimes* be synonymous!

Patricia - Spiritual Journey Of A Lightworker June 17, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I am not the extremely shy, scared of my own shadow young girl that I was in high school. Today, I can be quite outspoken about the things that I am passionate about. I still occasionally find myself on the outer edge of parties watching everyone move from group to group trying to find a place to fit in. I love people watching but I wish I could lose that feeling of being different, of being on the outside looking in.

Lindsay June 17, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Patricia, that sounds a lot like me. I’ve made a major transition from the girl that was in high school to the woman I am now. But sometimes, that shy girl does come back at the most unexpected times. I’m going to check out your blog when I get home from work. I’m sure if you’re a friend of Slade’s we will get along well!!

Patricia - Spiritual Journey Of A Lightworker June 17, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Slade Roberson is an awesome person and I am blessed to call him my friend. He is the sole reason that I am a blogger. I just celebrated my 4th anniversary as a blogger.

Kimberlee June 17, 2011 at 4:02 pm

omg…Lindsay, you are so refreshingly funny! I love reading your work. My sis and I were talking today about how people bringing this information to the world can be heavy at times and it doesn’t feel good. I love your grounded, light perspective! Wish you lived closer, we could be face-to-face friends :)! And I just have to add one of my favorite quotes by me (yeah, I just said that) is, “The more you step into yourself, the more you come out!” And I find that the deeper I step into my authenticity the more people I draw to me. However, I have def been lacking a like-minded network for the past decade-ish/whole life.

XO

PS-(I’m chatty today) Never tried cheerleading, but I did try dating boys :)!

Lindsay June 17, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I\’m so glad you like my sense of humor! Lord knows I laugh at my own jokes more than anyone else does! 😉 At least that\’s what my ex always says! I know you and I would be face-to-face friends if we lived closer. I love the area you live in, though. If I\’m ever down that way I\’ll let you know!

I totally agree about people who do our kind of work being too serious & heavy. It almost seems preachy or too overwhelming for me, though. We\’re all human. I\’m far from perfect. Plus, my favorite websites/blogs are by people who share their own stories. So I try to share mine, too!

Love your quote, btw! Can I use it? (With credit to you, of course!).

Kimberlee June 17, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I hope you do visit someday!
Sure, I would love it if you used my quote….in case you want it (you don’t have to link to this just wanted to show you where it is) the quote is at the bottom of this post:

Justin | Mazzastick June 17, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Between Middle School and High School I kept my shine to myself. This was a time of ego and anything outside of the norm would make us an outcast.

It wasn’t until my early twenties, that I began to become re-awakened again. I have talked about weird stuff for years and now I have a blog to do that with.

The web is a great way to meet-up with like minded people.

Lindsay June 19, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Justin I agree – the web is a FANASTIC way to meet other people like us. I love it. You’re right about those early years being so steeped in the ego. Anything outside of the ‘norm’ just wouldn’t fly – it would make us too uncomfortable.

Patti Foy | Lightspirited Being June 19, 2011 at 6:37 pm

My, it seems you’ve struck a chord here. Look at all these comments! I look forward to finding the time to check out some of their links!

This has been much on my mind. I thought I came out of the closet awhile back but seems I continue to meet challenges where I come face to face with whether I really want people to know just exactly how much of a freak I really am. LOL. I can only laugh at that in this moment. Thanks so much for that! (Oh, and blog post forthcoming on this very topic. ;-))

Lindsay June 19, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Hey, Patti! I find that it’s a continual challenge telling people about me, too. I’ll be really interested in reading your article about this topic! I still struggle with ‘coming out’ to strangers or people I’ve just met. How much do I share? What do I say? That sorta thing! Can’t wait to hear what you have to say! :)

Maria Cosby June 21, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Yep, that was a good one Lindsay. Great advice. Great indeed. I always feel I have so much to share and sing about, but too often I keep it to myself. Why do I do that? Great advice. :-)