Signs from spirit come in not-so-mysterious ways

Signs from spirit come in not-so-mysterious ways

by Lindsay on June 9, 2011

in Inspiration, Spirit Guides, Spirituality

Photo credit: Marco Bellucci on flickr

One of my clients recently shared a story with me about a message she received from her spirit guides that was so “hit ya over the head” obvious that she almost ignored it. She and her family had recently moved to a new town and she wasn’t yet familiar with all of the streets and how to get from Point A to Point B.  She was on her way to pick her daughter up from her first dance lesson (her husband had dropped their daughter off) with her 3-year-old son in tow in the backseat of the car. Somewhere on the drive, she’d taken a wrong turn and found herself lost. A call to her husband went unanswered. The GPS she swore she’d never spend money on suddenly sounded like a fantastic idea.

You know those moments when you’re so flustered that you forget to do the obvious? Which in this case would be to pull over and ask for directions? Yeah. Well, she forgot to do the obvious. Instead, she asked for a sign from her spirit guides – “How do I get there? Show me the way.”  All the while, she’d been ignoring her little boy in the backseat singing Beyonce’s “Irreplaceable” in his adorable toddler sing-songy voice. If you know that song, you know the lyrics include, “To the left, to the left”.  Yep, that’s right.  Somehow, her guides had managed to give her directions through her singing son, when only moments before she had almost shushed him in frustration.

This happens more than we realize. It is often in songs played on the radio or overheard conversations that we pick up on messages we just know are meant for us. And evidently, through our children’s songs.

I try to live my life based on intuition. Not entirely, mind you (I do have a rational mind as well as an ego that likes to squelch my intuitive feelings from time to time). Sometimes though, just knowing something isn’t enough for me. I want a sign from the Universe or my spirit guides or angels before making any decisions based on my intuition.

Photo credit: ePi.Longo on flickr

So, I ask for signs. And they come. And they come in not-so-mysterious ways.

So many of us (and I used to be guilty of this, too) look for signs in the mysterious. We feel like we need to have a mystical experience in order to have any communication with our guides. We think we’ve gotta feel like we’re floating on clouds and have moved past our physical limitations before we have any kind of communication with our spirit guides. We must meditate and be diligent about it. Then and only then will we get messages from spirit. Right? Nah, not true. A sign from your spirit guide can be as simple as advice you’re giving to a friend and then suddenly think, “Hey, this message is meant for me, too! I’m pretty brilliant!”

Instead of looking for your answers underneath a bunch of layers or after hours of meditation, why not just look for them in your inbox in an email from a friend? Or in your journal as you write? Or just put your iPod on “shuffle” and wait for your answer. See what happens. And share your story with me. I love hearing about these things!

Have you ever had a not-so-mysterious sign from the Universe or a message from your spirit guides? Tell us your story!

Like this article? Why not subscribe to The Daily Awe? No spam ever, I promise! Subscribers get cool deals every once in a while and my gratitude.

67 Not Out - Mike Perry June 9, 2011 at 10:21 am

What a great example. Signs are sometimes so obvious and/or mundane that we can easily overlook them.

P.S. Just Stumbled your post and it was my 666th Stumble! Hope that’s not a sign!

Lindsay June 9, 2011 at 10:33 am

Hey Mike!

Oh, good grief! I don’t like that number. I went to Subway the other day and my total came to $6.66. I told the cashier that freaked me out a little bit and he told me a story about a woman who disliked that # so much when she checked out, that she no longer wanted her sandwich and walked out!

Heather June 9, 2011 at 11:12 am

Great story! pretty funny too. This is so true sometimes, that the answers or signs are right there in front of us and so obvious that they sometimes get overlooked!

Lindsay June 11, 2011 at 9:52 am

Yep, so true, Heather! It’s sometimes so easy to overlook something that’s sitting right in front of us!

Anna Barlowe June 10, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Heh heh, you probably already know my sign story from my blog by now. My guide is not so much with the subtlety either. I appreciate that about him, actually, since I really do require the level of obviousness he provides.

Btw, I’ve heard that the whole Revelations/666 thing is really about things that happened back in Biblical times rather than something that’s going to happen in the future, so maybe it’s not such a big deal. Supposedly 666 was code for Nero’s name or something. Let’s hope so – then we can all keep having our sandwiches, regardless of price. :)

Lindsay June 11, 2011 at 9:53 am

Anna, you are such a wealth of information. I love it! Thanks for the 666 education. :) Btw – I do know your story and I just LOVE it. I find myself over there reading at night sometimes before bed. Good stuff, you could write a book!

Julie | A Clear Sign June 11, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I was about to leave for a car trip four hours away to Busch Gardens with the kids and extended family and my lovely Droid broke, forcing me to actually pay attention to my family sans electronics and phone for 3 days. I knew the minute it happened, that was the reason. I got signs every time I had the thought of reaching for my phone and realizing it wasn’t there (numbers, the little guy needing me, etc). New one tomorrow! P.S. I probably would have just added a cookie to my Subway order.

Lindsay June 14, 2011 at 4:35 pm

hahaha re: the cookie. I should’ve done that! Or added a bag of chips. I prefer salty over sweets! ;) I sometimes think it would take divine intervention to get me to put my cell phone down for 3 days. I’m not glad your phone broke, but glad you saw it for what it was!

Justin | Mazzastick June 11, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I too get signs from the radio. One time I was driving home from somewhere and I was feeling really stressed. My thoughts were way out of alignment.

The song “urgent” came on. It goes something like this: urgent, urgent, emergency, urgent, urgent, urgent.It’s from a band called Foreigner.

Whenever I hear that song I am reminded by spirit to “chill-out” and relax.

Lindsay June 14, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Justin that story gave me chills! I love that your guides speak to you in song. :)

Michael G July 31, 2011 at 6:49 pm

That happens to me sometimes. My spirit guides like to use songs,too. xD Especially on the radio. Sometimes there is something I’m thinking,or worrying and there is a song that pertains to situation. Which,of course makes me go “O.o What the…” But,mostly,they like to speak to me through 11:11 and numbers like that. Which,they know that gets my attention the most. xD

Lindsay August 1, 2011 at 11:06 am

Yep, they will do whatever they know it is that we will pay attention to! :)

kirsty February 3, 2012 at 5:44 am

I was told by a psychic that my ex would be coming back to me – first time seeing a psychic and i was a bit skeptic. So i asked my guides to give me a sign that im not wasting my time waiting for him to return. I asked them to let me hear his name on the way home via the car radio. I changed radio station (which i never do) and low and behold on the other station the DJ had the same name as my ex. Most would say coincidence – I think not.

Lindsay February 4, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Wow – now that’s a confirmation from your guides! Have you heard from your ex? What’s the end result?

kirsty February 9, 2012 at 7:39 am

no Iv heard nothing from him as of yet – i only asked last week and im still getting signs – for instance i was driving to the shops and again i asked is my ex still coming back to me – low and behold i parked next to a car with the number plate YE5 – if these are signs and not coincidences they are certainly making me impatient. But last night i said i need reassurance – make it ridiculously obvious that he is coming back – every programme i watched on tv that night had his name in and said loads of times! so im still hopeful! shame they cant tell me when, but i guess some things arent meant to be known. x

Dylan Lin Calista August 10, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I know this is an old post, but it’s interesting I came upon this.

I hope you’ll read one of my recent posts and you’ll understand why.

Lindsay August 12, 2012 at 7:58 am

Thank you for sharing that!! I read it yesterday but I’m going to go back and re-read it later. It’s a heavy one, emotionally…you’re a good writer because I could “feel” what you were feeling!

marj September 12, 2012 at 2:30 am

hi, i did recently get a message from my Spirit Guide. When i got it i was like “whoa.”

You see, i met a man and ill just call him H. I never really wanted to agree to see this guy, and i was really just kind of forced to it. Anyway, at one point, i did wonder if he’s the one, and may have asked my Spirit Guide to give some signs.

The funny thing is, i kind of have forgotten about it and was just doing my work when suddenly, i went to a site that had an interview article about the man who just happen to share the same name as the guy i met.

I was stunned. I thought that it was too big to be a coincidence. I don’t know if that was indeed the answer i was looking for nor do i think that this guy is the one since it’s too soon to tell, but either way i felt that it wasn’t a mere coincidence.

Brandy September 16, 2012 at 11:42 pm

I had a man break up with me a number of months ago very unexpectedly. We were a great match but he felt that he couldn’t fall in love with me.

As of late I’ve been working really hard to get over him, but I keep getting these huge signs about him (I went to NYC and the first thing the cabbie asked me about was a restaurant bearing my ex’s first name, a week later in Chicago the first city sign I saw beared his last name, and a little over a week after that I saw another big sign).

I’m not sure what to do because this guy broke up with me, but it seems obvious someone out there doesn’t want me to move on. I keep asking these spirits or universe to send *him* signs because he’s the one who broke up with me! Tonight I asked them to stop sending me signs and instead send them to him. I don’t need signs to know in my heart that I love him, but he’s the one who has to realize he loves me.

Let’s hope he’s getting signs, too. Any additional advice would be great.

Lindsay September 17, 2012 at 9:32 am

I think you’re doing the right thing by waiting, Brandy. My advice might differ depending on his reasons for breaking up with you (was it that you two aren’t a match or something was going on in his life?). I’d say for now you did absolutely the right thing: ask for him to be given signs (and that he notices and pays attention to them!) and give yourself a time limit (say 3 months) before totally letting go.

desmond December 13, 2012 at 12:15 am

My name is Desmond, i just want to say a very big thanks to Dr gaba for the work he has don for me i was having a very big miss understanding with my girl friend since last 3 months age i have been calling her on phone she is not responding.since she has left me i have been experiencing some sleepless night, lowliness and so many things , she gave no chance for begin her, but since i have come in contact with Dr gaba at;udoholytemplespell@gmail.com i explain every thing that happen to him and he told me not to worry that every thing will be all rite. i never expect such sup rice from him on till after the spell casting that work so urgent. she is known responding to my calls, she was the first person to call me back after the 3day spell casting and we are known in a better relationship we are happy as never before may you live long Dr gaba i so much appreciate for your spell casting you are good the world need your assistance for contact email. you can visit him at udoholytemplespell@gmail.com thank you very much sir.

Livvy March 18, 2013 at 9:12 am

Hello everyone, wow, I love the sychronicities everyone’s been having. I often hear songs on radio that are a sign about my relationship, partner or friends.
But i’ve been seeing the number 33 for years, don’t know why. My boyfriend, & i been having problems lately, he has lots of issues, anger, chip on shoulder, maybe past life issues & current ones.He judgemental, doesn’t believe in reincarnation, but I do. Hes pentecostal christian. His mob ph no has 33 in it & his paltalk password has 33 in it. We may not stay together, it getting emotionally painful, I feel he is a karmic partner, a soul lesson for me, for sure. My best girlfriend who is not judgemental, is very truthful, honest & perceptive, her car no plate has no 33 in it. Many times when look at clock on my mobile ph, i see 33 past the hr. Been seeing no 33 on & off for years!
Any suggestions, or advice? thankyou so much. I love reading your articles & blogs, relationship articles, very enlightening & comforting also.

Angela April 28, 2014 at 7:44 pm

I recently asked for signs from my guides on whether or not I should continue liking this guy or whether or not I should move on. Several hours later I decided to drive to my friends house. Upon arrival, I realized that she had just gotten a new puppy. Much to my surprise, the name of her puppy is the guy’s name! That was the first sign. The next day I went to a charity event with my sister and one of the volunteers’ name was the guy’s name again! The last sign I got was when I got home from dinner and was in bed browsing instagram. Guess who was on the popular page? The guy that I like. That’s three signs already that I got! Haha, much as it sucks waiting on him-I know that I should continue because I still have feelings and my guides have given me confirmation as well. Its really amazing how many signs I am able to catch once I become more aware!!