What's Your Genius?

What’s your genius?

by Lindsay on June 2, 2011

in Inspiration, Motivation, Personal Growth

Photo credit: ariel.rose on flickr

What gets you fired up? What can you talk about for hours if you have a receptive ear? What lifts you up like nothing else can?  What lights your spirit? Have an answer? That’s your genius. It can be one thing or many. Probably many. My genius is writing, healing, advising, and singing karaoke. Okay, I jest on the last one, but I do love karaoke!

Everyone has something they are a genius at. It’s that something that makes you feel joyful, energized and alive from the bottom of your heart to the top of your soul. If you don’t know what your genius is, ask the people who know you best what it is they are most grateful for for having you in their lives. No, you’re not fishing for compliments by asking. You’re just figuring out what your genius is.  Danielle LaPorte says it best, “The gratitude you receive is a reflection of your genius.”

Two years ago I had no idea what my genius was. Sure, I had some vague idea of what my strengths were. But I had no idea what genius I held within me, let alone how to get it out. I always tell clients to take baby steps to get to the big picture. Baby step #1 – if you don’t know your genius – is taking stock on what people express gratitude to you for.

I feel most alive when I’m holding space for someone to explore themselves, their soul purpose, igniting their intuition and living the lives they are meant to live.  I feel most joyful and present when I’m using energy medicine during a Reiki treatment, or using my intuition to help another find their way. Not too long ago I thought my gifts weren’t tangible and therefore weren’t “good enough” somehow. I thought that being an ear to friends (and strangers!) wasn’t something that could never be used other than to be a sounding board. I thought Reiki was something I’d only be able to practice on myself and close friends. I thought I was just “too sensitive”. I was wrong. And I’m glad I was!

It’s important to take note of what it is other people express gratitude to you for, because your genius is something that comes so naturally to you that you probably don’t even notice it.

Whatever your genius is, you not only can use it to live out your soul purpose, but you absolutely should! Get rid of the notion that your genius isn’t “good enough”. Instead, take a moment to be still. Reflect on what it is people thank you for the most. Think about what makes you feel most alive. Finding your genius enables you to tap into the power of your uniqueness and capitalize on your innate gifts. Finding your genius puts your focus on who you are and how you are. It helps you focus on taking action that is in alignment with that. You owe it to yourself – and the world – to take your genius, your soul purpose, and run with it.

Light the fire within

Reading Danielle LaPorte’s “The Spark Kit” helped me take the spark within and light it into the fire that is this blog and my intuitive/psychic practice. Whether you’ve found your genius, are looking for it or just want to know what on earth you can do with it once you’ve brought it to light, just know you’re a genius at something and you should be damn proud of it.

What’s your genius? What makes you feel inspired & alive? How did you find your genius? Share your genius & the story of how you found it in the comments!

If you like what you read here – subscribe to The Daily Awe. Each month a subscriber is chosen for a free intuitive reading. And be sure to spread the love and share the article with friends/family/your neighbors/coworkers. I really appreciate it!

Julie | A Clear Sign June 2, 2011 at 10:05 am

Lindsay,

You know, I am aware of what my “genius” is because it’s the one thing that I find effortless and I am continuously amazed that anyone thanks me for it, it’s as natural as breathing. But I have found recently that there are Other Things that really light my spark. Some of them I’ve been able to act on and others I really haven’t done what I could yet (but this was a good reminder to get going on those things! Thanks for that!)

Lindsay June 2, 2011 at 10:16 am

Hey Julie! “As natural as breathing” is a great way to put it! I’m curious – what are your “other things”? I want to hear them!

Julie | A Clear Sign June 2, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I’m surprised by how much I actually enjoy writing (the blog), and doing the followup emails after readings and hearing about other people’s lives and how they plan to put their messages into action. But I am more surprised by how I am able to relate to the little guys in my son’s first grade class – I was thinking of joining Power To Read where you get to work with one student all year on their reading skills (probably I wasn’t fooling anyone with the books in the blog background, do you know the song The Library from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse where they end by saying “oooh ooh just look at all the books!!”).

"Stormy" June 2, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Hey Lindsay! I just wanted to lurk out of from my sometimes tacit restrictivness from commenting and proclaim how awesome you are! I’m somewhat of a newcomer on your sight- but its been a delightful experince reading your intricate, altruistic and inquisitive articles. As i’m writing this, I’m in the process of embracing, acknowledging and honoring my multi- faceted interests and trying to incorporate these inclinations into something I could prospectively earn an income from.

Amongst extending my congratulations to you for all your continued successes, I also wanted to convey some notions that have been meandering around in my mind with this newly found initiative to truly do what I love and plausibly, be receptive to earning an income from living my inherent passion/ urgings.

I’ve heard the somewhat archaic notion of “just getting a job” ( subliminally imbued with not really fully enjoying what that may entail) and comparatively the somewhat destructive nature of doing things or participating in activities that you don’t feel particularly enticed to do. At the hopes that I’m not regurgitating unimportant information, boring you or stealing the lime light from anyone else, I’m 20, never been enrolled in a collegiate instituition and applicably, after working as an assistant teacher at a part time after school program that I didn’t particularly feel supported, respected or alloted an opportunity to truly be creative, I decided to tangibly take the appropriate decision to acknowledge my expectations and inclinations as a human being and what I truly wanted to contribute and receive from an employment opportunity.

My question is, amongst the backdrop life situation, Is finding employment that’s truly empowering, kind and respectful of our unique inclinations a one size fits all mantra or is it a unique journey that unfolds differently for everyone? And what signposts, in your opinion, are pointers that you’re on the best path for your highest growth and thoes you will be serving in this endeavor?

Thanks again for your continued consideration and contribution to humanity. the world is an delightful place with you in it

Have a great day

Lindsay June 6, 2011 at 9:38 am

Hey Stormy,

Thank you for your kind words! I’m going to send you an email to have this discussion because I have much to say! But for now, I want to say that I do NOT think the “one size fits all” mantra fits almost anyone…it certainly doesn’t fit lightworkers or those of us who know there is more to life than working at a desk job for 8 hours a day/5 days a week.

What are the pointers that you’re on your best path? Feeling happy when you wake up on a working day. Feeling a sense of peace and fulfilment when you are at work and when MORE good comes into your life. When abundance is flowing, you know you’re doing the right thing. Make sense?

I’ll email you soon!

Anna Barlowe June 2, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Hey Lindsay,

Anybody who knows me knows I love anything to do with ghosts and the paranormal, mostly because I have my own! But I also have been very surprised to find (since I started my own blog this year) that I enjoy writing, and that people seem to enjoy what I write! Quite a shock, really.

I also have a strong desire to help people move past their grief and fear of death, because I no longer believe that death exists as we currently conceive of it. I think that we are never really separated from anybody, and can sometimes have an even closer connection with them in certain ways after they pass over.

Love is the only thing we DO get to take with us, in fact, and retain from life to life, and I think it would comfort many people to be sure of that in the way that I am now, having seen the proof for myself. It has changed my life completely.

Lindsay June 6, 2011 at 9:41 am

You’d make a fantastic grief and bereavement counselor, it sounds like! I am a volunteer with Hospice Toronto and I feel like doing that kind of work is part of my calling. In our society people often look at me like I have two heads when I say that, but it’s true. You must get that, too.

What you said about love being the only thing we get to take with us to the ‘other side’ was therapeutic for me, Anna. I’ve been mourning a close loss (my father when I was little) and hearing that just…really helped me at a time when I needed it. So thank you for that.

Justin | Mazzastick June 3, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I like helping people. This is a rather vague statement, but I get joy out of teaching people better ways of doing things and improving their lives.

Lindsay June 6, 2011 at 9:41 am

And you do a good job of it too, Justin! I love your website. :)

April June 17, 2011 at 11:24 am

“I feel most alive when I’m holding space for someone to explore themselves, their soul purpose, igniting their intuition and living the lives they are meant to live.” For some reason this comment really resonated with me, it is very beautifully stated. I have a friend who I have a very deep soul connection with and perhaps a soul contract. Recently we were discussing the connection and he wanted my perspective which was hard to put words to really. I just know that when I looked his eyes and shook his hand a year ago he was in my life for a reason. I knew we were and would always be connected. This gave me a certain sense of peace. I guess my curiousness today is why. We are not in a “relationship” and would not be but the connection is the connection all the same. It is undenyable. I do feel like he is my mirror in a way. I am at peace with myself am and enjoying my journey while he may be finding his purpose. I wonder if I am spending to much time trying to “figure out” what the purpose of our meeting in this life is and just be receptive to the situation at let it be. I know for me there is a great deal of emotion involved. I am afraid of losing the soul connection although I know it will always be there wheter he is a part of my life or not. I guess I am wanting to know what is my lesson, is there something for me to learn other than the experience and beauty of watching him grow in the “space I am holding for him to expore”?

world worker s 超2011aw June 23, 2014 at 11:45 pm

Heya i’m for the first time here. I found this board and I to find It truly helpful & it helped me out much.
I am hoping to offer something again and help others such as
you helped me.