Things I learned while in Sedona

Things I learned while in Sedona

by Lindsay on October 20, 2011

in Environment, Inspiration, Personal Growth

High on life & energy (and rocks!) in Sedona

This month I took a much-anticipated trip to Sedona, Arizona. It’d been on my “places I must see or else I’ll be devastated” list and I’m so glad I went.

Sedona is known as a New Age Mecca, and it’s no wonder why — intuitives/psychics are abundant. Just like you see a Starbucks on every corner in Seattle (or, well, any city these days), you’ll find alternative healing services on every corner in Sedona. The streets are lined with stores offering aura photographs and of course, there are the energy vortexes – areas that are believed to be spiritual centers wherein there is a spiraling flow of energy. I actually felt it in all of Sedona – it felt insulated somehow – protected from the outside world. Check out the twisted Juniper tree below – evidence of the energy at one of the vortex sites at work.

If you’ve spent some time traveling, you probably know that when we’re taken out of our element and shake up our routines a little by visiting unfamiliar places, we can learn a lot: not only about place we’re visiting, but ourselves. My trip to Sedona was no exception. I took so much away from that trip — not the least of which is a new album full of gorgeous photographs.

The vortexes (vortices) do exist: even if you are not energetically sensitive like an empath, you’ll likely feel the energy at or near the vortexes. If you are energetically sensitive, you’ll feel it as soon as you enter Sedona. There is something about the place that feels magical. I would imagine if you lived there, it would be easy to become insulated from the “outside world”. The people in Sedona are friendly – they go out of their way to be kind to you. And while that may be because their economy relies so heavily on tourism, I like to believe it is the energy within the town that raises people’s vibrations, thus improving their moods and helping them naturally be kind to others.

Twisted juniper tree

Baby steps will get you where you want to go: when hiking along the trails and looking up to the peaks of the rocks, I could’ve thought, “There is just no way I’m going to get up there.” But instead, I focused on the small steps I needed to take in order to get to where I wanted. As with any goal in life we want to reach, focusing on the baby steps is critical to success. If we just focus on the peak of the proverbial mountain, we might feel like our goal is too daunting and unattainable; we might get overwhelmed or give up before we even get started. Think about the baby steps you can take to get to where you want to go.

Be gentle with myself and others:  Gone are the days of talking to myself poorly. Sometimes my inner dialogue isn’t so kind to me – in fact, I can be downright nasty to myself sometimes. I wouldn’t dare speak to another human being that way, so why would I speak to myself that way? As long as I can feel good about my personal intentions (am I doing the best I can?), I can love and forgive myself of just about anything.  And since I believe we are all truly connected, I will do my best to be gentle with others.  I will try to first understand where someone else is coming from and why they are doing what they are doing. I’ll give the benefit of the doubt instead of judging. We all experience ups and downs, and sometimes a little understanding and gentleness is all we need.

Your spirit guides travel with you: if you’re a regular reader of this blog, you know that I find dimes during significant moments of my life. Being in Arizona was no exception. While hiking on Bell Rock, I was writing “Hi Mom” on the rocks to take a picture for my mom (duh!) and looked down  at my feet and found a dime! It seemed to appear out of thin air. And the air really is thinner at higher elevations…har.har. I got chills and teary and felt surrounded by my team of guides in that moment. Turns out, they travel too (for free, I assume – ha!). My dime-finding moment was awe-some. And it gave me that extra affirmation that we’re never really alone.

Cactuses (cacti?) – no matter how “cute” they might look – really do hurt. ‘Nuff said.

Rainbow AND sunset at the same time

I’m still processing a lot of what I learned in Sedona – a follow-up post may be in order once I sort through how this trip changed me and impacted my life. But for now I’ll end with this: if you get a chance to visit Sedona, GO! Even if you’re not the outdoorsy type. Heck, even if you’re not the New-Agey type (when will we come up with a new term for this, btw?), you’ll love it.

If I had to sum Sedona up in one word, it would be “magical”.

Have you been to Sedona? What did you take-away from your stay there? If you haven’t, what’s been your favorite travel experience? Share it here with us! I love hearing from readers.

Patti Foy | Lightspirited Being October 20, 2011 at 10:00 am

THANK YOU for sharing Sedona with us! I liked your well-rounded portrayal, from the “town” to the people to the trails. Nice!

I went through there way back in the 70’s and then was there fairly often during the 90’s because that’s where the Jyotish (Vedic astrology) conferences that I was so enthused about were held and where I tested for my certification, etc. I had lots of time to explore, and agree it’s a beautiful and yes, magical place.

At the same time, I often think how Sedona has nothing on this place where I live now. We have similar red rock mesas and here I even have my very own 🙂 I think all of nature is magical when we give ourselves the time and space to really experience it.

Thanks for this long-awaited post. So glad you enjoyed your trip!

Lindsay October 20, 2011 at 10:36 am

Oh, Patti! I guess my next trip is going to be to YOUR house, then! So I can explore your private mesa!

It’s awesome that you’ve had the opportunity to spend so much time in Sedona. When I was there I wavered back and forth between wanting to live there and just keeping it as a magical place to visit every once in a while. Honestly, I think the traffic would drive me bonkers if I lived there! The gads of tourists is all good & fine when you are one of them, but when you’re a local…I can see how that could get annoying pretty quickly.

Anyway, I’ll be in touch and let you know when I’m coming to your place! 😉

Patti Foy | Lightspirited Being October 20, 2011 at 4:18 pm

LOL, it’s a deal! 😀

Julie | A Clear Sign October 20, 2011 at 10:18 am

Lindsay,

Loved the pics and the story. I would like to go there someday.

How about just “spiritual” instead of new-age?

I had a lot of fun on my big 1 1/2 day cruise to the Bahamas that I went on while you were gone. The irony is it took us an entire YEAR to manage to get away for that short time – my husband bought the trip out of our local port for our 10th anniversary and we just took it to celebrate the 11th. The sea was rocking and rolling, we had to change rooms because of all the clanging and banging, but there’s something about being in a different environment, whatever it may be, that’s like setting the reset button on your life.

Lindsay October 20, 2011 at 10:40 am

Hey Julie! I think you would like it there. Perhaps a tiny bit more than a rockin’ and rollin’ sea…actually…I think I would love that (minus all of the clanging, haha)! I recall my cruise vacation created the best sleeps I’ve ever had in adulthood. Happy anniversary, btw!

I think “spiritual” sounds better than new age, for sure. I just wish it didn’t have to have a label at all. So from now on, I shall use neither! Maybe…

Heather October 20, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Love the photos! it really does look amazing there and I’d love to visit someday. That’s pretty cool that you saw the dime while taking a picture for your mom.

I had a magical moment in Taos, New Mexico almost 20 years ago. I was living there at the time. I hiked down into the Rio Grande Gorge and found a hot spring. I was in the hot spring while there was snow on the ground and I remember looking up at the sky and thinking how close all the stars looked and how wonderful that moment was. Taos is a really amazing place.

Lindsay October 20, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Hey Heather! I’ve never heard of the Rio Grande Gorge, so I googled it…WOW! So beautiful. I’d love to visit there some day. I love, love, love hot springs! But don’t know of any around here. Do you still have friends in the Taos area you can visit? If so, I’m coming with you. 😉

Laura October 20, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I am so happy to hear about your trip! Sedona sounds like such a beautiful place. I would love to visit it someday. I think it should be on my “don’t miss” list too.

I think my favorite thing about my recent trip to WDW was seeing the palm trees and the air. I loved the warm breezy feeling. It is wonderful in the evening.

Lindsay October 20, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Ahhh palm trees, yes! I love those, mostly because I don’t see them where I live. Not even close! I like the “warm breezy” feeling, too. 🙂

Lisa at Practically Intuitive October 20, 2011 at 9:27 pm

YEY! You put my most favorite picture of you right on your post! I love it. I long to go to Sedona and will definitely add that to my list of “places I must see before I shuffle my ass off this mortal coil” – thank you for sharing it with us.

The seminary I attended in Oklahoma was located near some ley lines and vortices and yes, you can definitely feel a difference there. A big difference and I totally understand that “insulated” feeling. it’s nice but re-entry into the real world is hard!

Loved looking at your pics on FB – thanks for the post!

Lindsay October 20, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Learn something new every day — I didn’t know you went to a seminary! I wanna know more…You’re right about the re-entry into the world world as being tough. I’m glad I took a couple of extra days off work to recover and try to get back into everything.

And your vote of confidence gave me the, well, confidence, to post the pic! <3

Jen October 20, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I SOOOOO loved Sedona. I went quite a few years ago now while on a roadtrip from Phoenix to Las Vegas. We stayed the night, climbed around the vortex’s, rode horses and met some interesting people. This one lady told me to climb into her swinging chair in a shop. I did as asked and immediately jumped out because i felt like someone pulled my head. lol She was like, omg you can feel that? And NEVER explained what she was talking about. I still scratch my head on that one. I will go back one day. Thanks for the post!

Lindsay October 20, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Hey Jen! So good to hear from you! That is a crazy story about what you felt on the swinging chair and the woman NOT explaining it! What was that all about, I wonder?! Maybe you need to find out on your return trip. 😉 I missed out on riding horses in Sedona…that’s on my list for next time.