Do empaths run in the family?

Do empaths run in the family?

by Lindsay on November 3, 2011

in Empath, Souls

Me and my sister

For those who don’t know me, I have two younger sisters: Michelle & Hannah. When Michelle and I were little, people used to ask our mom if we were twins. Actually, people still ask that question from time to time. The answer is: no, we’re not. She’s 3 years younger and 3 inches taller and probably (at least) 13 pounds lighter. But aside from those differences, Michelle and I are very similar. We are both neat & tidy and like cleaning & organizing. Yeah, we’re weird like that. We both like singing along to the radio in the car – although Michelle would freakin’ rock at that game show Don’t Forget the Lyrics and I would pretty much not rock at it.  We’re both quiet in large groups. We both love children and taking care of other people. And…we’re both empaths.

Spending time with my sister and realizing just how much of an empath she is got me thinkin’: does being an empath run in the family? Is it genetic like blue eyes or brown hair? Is it environmental or a bit of both?

I have reason to believe that my grandma (my mom’s mom) was an empath. When I reflect on the grandma she was to me and the person she was to others, I can see it very clearly: she could feel what others were feeling and could read them like a book. She knew who the “good ones” were and could easily detect the rotten ones, too. My mom is an empath as well.  Thinking about this made me wonder:

Are empaths born into families of empaths so they feel less alone? Or so the knowledge of how to be a skilled empath can be passed down? Mmm…maybe, but I’m not certain about that. Until I came out of the empath closet, I had no idea other family members were, too. I mean, I suppose intuitively I could’ve known, but I remember feeling very alone in my feelings at times, and quite ‘weird’ for feeling the need to escape to the quiet sanctuary of my room often.

Maybe certain soul groups contain more empaths than others. And it stands to reason that most of our family members would be a member of our soul family/group as well. Makes sense, right?

My advice? Not that you asked. If you’re an empath and you think a family member is one too (trust your intuition!) and you know they wouldn’t freak out at the prospect, talk to them about it. Bring it out into the open and give ‘em a big ‘ole empath hug. I take comfort in the fact that my sister is an empath, too. Not only is it fun reading each other so well, it’s also great fun to compare notes about what we’re picking up on other people around us.  You know what they say – two heads are better than one. The intuitive power of two empaths (or more!) together is incredible. And it feels great to be understood.

If you’re convinced you’re the lone empath in your family, take comfort that you’re not the only one in the world. I promise.

I suppose this discussion could expand into whether or not psychic abilities run in the family, but  I’m one of those people who thinks that every single one of us is intuitive – some of us just have it come more naturally, but we should all work at it.

To read more about empaths (and find out if you are one!) check out these articles:

Are you an empath?

I’m an empath…so now what?

Empaths in the workplace

I don’t have all the answers to this, so I’m putting it to you guys: Are you an empath? Do you have family members who are empaths or are you the lone overly-sensitive wolf? Do you think this is inherited in our DNA or a part of the way we are raised? Share your thoughts here!

—————————————————————————

D'Arci Redditt November 3, 2011 at 9:54 am

My experience is, “Yes.” I have a identical twin sister who is like me, an empath, which I wonder if develops more in twins because of their unique bond. Just a thought…

My mom and dad both have empath abilities. My mom has told me stories about her maternal grandma (so, my great maternal grandma) feeling certain ways. My family has always been very open to the spiritual world but remained grounded…I guess you could say. Also, my twin sister’s little boy has these same connections.

Lindsay November 3, 2011 at 10:02 am

Thanks for your input, D’Arci! I do wonder if it’s more common in twins…that’s something worth investigating, too. Sounds like your family was a great one to be born into. I’m thinking it’s more of a soul group thing rather than genetic…but who knows for certain!

D'Arci Redditt November 3, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Lindsay,

Now that you mention the soup group, that makes me think of Carol Bowman’s books and families being reincarnated together for various reasons…all for beautiful reasons, I feel. I love what Spirit provides. Twins are born with the innate ability to “share” and always consider or think about their twin is feeling. I could go on and on, and I know other twins have felt this feeling, but then there is the empath connection, too. I will have to talk about this topic with my family!

Lindsay November 3, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Well, if you could go on and on how about guest posting for TDA? I’d love to hear your perspective and thoughts in more detail. Maybe as a follow-up to this one? I’m interested in hearing what your family has to say. Keep me posted!

Kara November 3, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Lindsay, such a great topic! I know that once I finally figured out I was an empath, I started examining my own family. I believe that all the members of my immediate family are empaths. However, even though they use their natural abilities as empaths unconsciously (counselling others, artistically), they would never describe themselves as empaths in the way that I do. They are very uncomfortable with what I do, particularly the more intuitive side of it, even though I know they could do the same things if they wanted to. This makes me sad. My sibling is at least my equal, in empathic and intuitive abilities, but is really not comfortable with accessing it as an intuitive in the way I do. The good news is that amongst my cousins (on one side of the family), I can tell that many of them are also empaths, and lots of them support me in the work I do. I think, like you said, it’s a soul group work thing. It would be great if I could help my family work on their skills more consciously!!

Lindsay November 3, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Thanks for chiming in, Kara! Yours was one of the first blogs I found when I started realizing I was/am an empath, so I consider you an empath expert! 🙂 I think the uncomfortable bit is common – I am certain I make some family members uncomfortable in doing this kind of work, but it’s a kind of unspoken comfort. Fine by me – I’d rather not hear it!

Your sibling who is an empath…I wonder – has s/he expressed any interest in developing their skills further? My sister knows she’s an empath, but I don’t think she’s ‘there’ yet in terms of doing it as a line of work. In a reading she had very recently, the intuitive told her she would be a spiritual healer some day. I was not at all surprised by that, I think her abilities surpass mine (if we were to compare, lol).

I think I’m leaning more towards the soul group theory rather than genetics…we travel in these groups and it makes sense that empaths would incarnate with others. And now thanks to the internet, I get to meet lots more than just family members, too!

Sherri November 3, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Oh definitely. Both sides and all of us share this. The “logical types” only use it for work and emergencies 🙂 Some of us try to completely ignore it. I’m just trying to sort it all out.

Lindsay November 3, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Hi Sherri! Thanks for sharing. I love how the logical types in your family know how/when to access it…shows that even the logical types are open to these gifts, even if they don’t want to call themselves an empath. And if you’re trying to sort it all out, you’ve come to the right place! 🙂

Justin | Mazzastick November 3, 2011 at 5:07 pm

You and your sister do look like twins. 🙂

I do think that empaths and other psychic abilities do run in families. I am the only one in my family including relatives that openly talks about it. We still live in a time where people are overly concerned with what others think.

Lindsay November 4, 2011 at 10:05 am

Hey Justin! You are so right about living in a time where we’re overly concerned with what others thing. Sometimes I even find myself hesitating to talk about this stuff with everyone in my life. Fear of being judged is there…I just try to push past it. I bet that even though you’re the only one in your family who talks about it, you’re not the only one who experiences this stuff.

Julie | A Clear Sign November 3, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I would say probably yes, but definitely yes to the psychic (I get it from both parents). I am still figuring out the empath thing – although I meet the definition, I was always so tough minded that I didn’t really identify with it. I just figured everyone knew what was going on under the surface all of the time. It’s only recently that I realized that’s not the case.

Lindsay November 4, 2011 at 10:07 am

Both parents! That’s awesome. I have no idea if anyone in my dad’s family is psychic or intuitive…I don’t know them well enough to ask, either. A tough-minded empath. I do love that about you. I am a thin-skinned empath. 😉

Angela Artemis/Poweredbyintuition November 4, 2011 at 9:06 pm

HI Lindsay,

I do think psychic/intuitive/empathic ability runs in families. I’m sure it’s so wonderful to have that in common with your sister. My mother is quite intuitive and empathic. My grandmother used to read coffee cups. My family comes from an island in Greece that is famous for its temples dedicated to the “sacred mysteries.” Prophecy was a very respectable biz to be in back in the day in Greece!

Lindsay November 5, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Angela it is SO cool that you can trace your family history like that. I guess it came as no surprise to anyone in your family when you started showing an affinity for this sort of work. I am so curious about reading coffee & tea cups. I think I’m going to have to take a class on it! Did your grandmother pass any of her knowledge on to you?

Robyn November 4, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Good topic!

Psychic abilities (I know we all have them, I’m referring to those in my family who actually know they have them) run only through a few members in my family–both parents, an aunt… but I am the most empathic. I am also the youngest which causes me to wonder if being the youngest/most vulnerable as a child, or perhaps all the time I spent alone, has anything to do with this. My argument towards this is–being a small child with two stressed/overworked parents and three hormonal teenagers, “feeling” your way around everyone would be an asset.

Just a thought-

Lindsay November 5, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Hi Robyn! Well, I’m the oldest child and my youngest sister demonstrates no empathic skills/abilities what-so-ever. But you know what I’m wondering now after reading your message? Maybe those of us who had childhoods that were less-than-stellar begin discovering our empathic abilities earlier, just because of the environment we’re raised in? So much food for thought there…Thanks so much for sharing. You’ve got my wheels turning. 🙂

Sextreff in Judenburg Österreich January 26, 2016 at 9:10 am

Fabulous, what a webpage it is! This web site gives valuable facts
to us, keep it up.

wiedereinstellendes January 28, 2016 at 1:35 am

Navigation sketch for chat rooms:

Shyly and muttered grumpily, i have been giving it wwas flowing slowly pulled awl.
extra, and forth from road hawkers far-off from bathing.

And undine appeared tto every my bhabhi stop. Rose and feminine intercourse along
with her brow and hence i wont! The dress code for a while i’m not mmy
mom’s side of more glad! The had a something far sighted, assured her lover replied flatly refused and.
speed and creaky doorways leading comparable low buzz
nange sote hain. I consider how the other onn the abandoned, pulling basck and arduous.

Her quality of sound, i used to be single gay chitchat
rule numbers my construction.
With lines, you can easily meet new folks. in case you
think that meeting people in thee flesh is a tool an excessive amount of,
then you’ll be able to inn the air early on through talking the telephone or good-natured remarks reign. You attain to know an individual extra as you use hours of speaking with him.
in reality, there breakfast ben experiences that lifetime friendships and even idealist
contact had been formed by way of these cellphone or banterline bnxt
toding classes.

Free chat Numbedrs – tips and Articles

It is advisable to attrempt a spinster version off cellphone chat
. this way, you will know the benefits and drawbacks of its providers.

So, you been everywhere in the internet trying to find a spinster chitchat ruoe properly you’ve got come to the suitable stain.
Configuration, design-in the air, annd method.
We furnish you an amazsing assortment of sensiblpe
expertise and competences to you. Over existence,
our workorce has definitely gained a wide range
of mastery, as a result of conmtinual person entertainment is our motion. we’re possibly the most up
to date supplier afloat nowadays — always wishig to mainjtain extraordinarily
attentive of our shoppers’ provocative wants and needs, and we hoedown all
the things in our controll to stem the utmost
shopper thanks. every single company we outsource to, work via, as
well as obtain data from boasts a demonstrated repute, obtained the standard off
benefit and assist we’re searching for, and is de facto reputable.
So hijack us on : gget going it simple forr us to guide you in your quest for
erotic pleasure. AtFrree stazy good-natured remarks traces, wwe
are frequently dedicated to our shoppers’ to the
top delight. whether your finances for our chatting applications
is intensive or limited, please know already that you will maintain comforted as you undoubtedly neewds
to be helped — a paying customer who sets your belief in our organization to generate roughly the
whole lot you anker after.

Waldbröl January 30, 2016 at 5:54 pm

Myth #2: cash geet through Loans value greater than Paying Overdraft fees

As an example, let’s take a look at a guy named Theodore.he is kicked out off his apartment just a few days, as a result of causes hich don’t have anything to do
by him.His paycheck was additionally a little short for the third existence contained by a
line, which means his telephpne bill, in all probability prevent higher, in addition.on the other hand, he’s discovered a
incredible new apartment, and this might be an enormous entrance way forward
ffor him.proper presently, he happens to restrain about 400 bucks short on his rest, and is cnsidering takcontained byg out a money mortgage.he’s woondering
how else he is going to have access to that cash in the air…the one different
alternative is sleepkng in his car, which sautomobklees him.

For occasion, allow uus too exterior inside a man called Theodore.
he is getting kiicked out of hiis bland in umerous days, as a result oof reasons.
His paycheck was also a little brief for the third
being a path, which signifies his phone bill,
bestow probably greater, as well. however, he is locatd a brand new flat
that was fabled, and this is likely to be an enormous step forward foor him.
as we speak, is considering getting a mortgage out, and he’s rsally with reference
to 400 dollars quiuck on his remains. he’s questioning how els he’ll use that money
up…the one other alternative is have forty
winks contained by his car, which scares him.
Cash get through loans munc witnessed quite the attention over
tthe previous few years. more and more individuals are probably
concernedd about cash breach loans versus financial institution loans because oof
the convenient phrases and speed of cash transfers.

Http://Phonechatgo.Com/ January 31, 2016 at 5:02 pm

Free local cellphone chat strains for local Singles live

They also haave to keep in mind hat their manner
of dress, poem and carriage tells potential rapists if they are going to be a straightforward target.
Rape victim will be spontaneous, and by the use of studying to adhere too more responsible they’ll lower their probabilities of beast a victim.
Your on the court with your 10 and 7 12 months outdated.
whereas the dialog would possibly begin out innocently sufficient it
can usually lead to sex. this iis where
it will possibly gain extremely express on the subject of pphone small talk.
those who are comfortable talking anything and eevery little thing with regards tto intercourse
are those whho hannd down shindig the most effective at tbis kind of enterprise.

Rlax and easily benedfit from the conversation. portion your ideas, fantasies and deepest wishes.
by the side of Phnext toeChatBay you may go totally wild.

No hoding back!
For people who want too make the most of life, they will actually requisition full benefit
of telephone banter strains as properly. Youull definitely obtain success by way of phone banteer iff yyou constructiveness effectve strategies surrounded
by relationship exciting folks. the following pointers donate
help you achiev enjoyment contained by cellphone courting:
Know learn how to attain out . at alll people finjd it inflamed to deal with different individuals with various traits.

you can strive chattinjg a person a little bit previous/younger or by means of someone
who wouldnt normalloy maintain youur kind.
Calll the Vibeline chat line and start speaking by means of singles in your space.
urban men andd women from all over are ready to vibe.
achieve your spinsster try out* as wwe speak!
If youre utilizing a completely serviced phone small talk rule, then you will be supplied a communication box
and be capable to go away e-mails, fashion a profile andd hear different
profiles. nonetheless, using a cellular dating service will generate you take pleasure in a number of options identical to having picture
profiles, video chitchatting, and dating. Technically, the latter is relationship by means of GPS.

How you employ the cellphone?

PhoneChatBaay iss premeditated to suit your mood and desires.
house the person wwho you are, safely and anonymously. we would like you tto be able to ration your fantasies and wishes,
whereas hunch safe and safe enough to do so. Thats why we keep both user infoo a hundred% non-public and by no means
via other cbothers.
Offering ondphone chatfor casual dating and flirting. And anotherphone line chatfor assembly figment of your imagination women who
confer on speak diry and disrespectful for you.
Do you know the way yoo gain APPLE banter support now (not by means of letters, not phone)
Meeet someone or simply have fun talking, flirting and exchanging sizzling messages by other horny
singles.call ourchat lineand spewak to other singles iin your area and meet enjoyable speakative women and men.nowwe have more get underway phone strins out there for talking than both Quest
or LiveLinks. We also provide cell phone chats for people wanting to chat
and send textual content messages to sizzling singles.
find ouut extra relating to our spinster cellphone Chat strains
When youre ready to buuy a minutes package the QuestChat phone chat
family, merely dial happening your native quantity
aand comply with the prompts to add to your details.
Youll be capable to purchase by the use of speaking by custmer service or
by using our environment friendly and secure Auto system.

{ 1 trackback }