50 Things I'm Grateful For - turning misery into gratitude

50 Things I’m Grateful For – turning the blues into gratitude

by Lindsay on January 26, 2012

in Attitude, Personal Growth, Spirituality

Photo credit: labutle on flickr

Earlier this month, it just felt like the energies weren’t flowing in my favor. Or, at least not in the way I wantedthem to. But then I read this:

If you’re experiencing intense or odd energies and feelings right now, or are feeling sad, tired, experiencing insomnia, or have been extremely emotional and crying more than normal lately, you’re not alone.

There is a big shift occurring, and sensitive people are being highly affected. The lower energies are also trying to dampen the light right now, which is impossible in spiritual truth, but nonetheless the increased lower energies are affecting us. We need your help. Now is the time to allow your inner light to shine as brightly as possible. How do you do this? By being your natural beautiful self, by praying, meditating, taking excellent care of your body, and focusing upon your blessings and gratitude. This world needs as much light as possible right now, and your light can make a huge positive difference.” From Doreen Virtue’s Facebook fan page

I posted it on The Daily Awe’s Facebook page and it seemed to have resonated with a lot of people. So I thought to myself, “Self! You might feel like a miserable sloth today, but you could at least stop saying, “Woe is me” in 50 different ways long enough to focus on your blessings and express some gratitude.”

Then this list was born: 50 things I’m grateful for (in no particular order)

• Life: I’m grateful that I’m here today, experiencing the world, breathing, loving, living.
  • Family: I have an amazing family – supportive, loving, amazing in so many ways.
  • Friends: My friends are my rock – love them.
  • Love: Love permeates throughout my life in so many ways.
  • My dog: There’s so much love in this little ball of fur – he’s taught me so much about life.
  • Books: Reading takes me places I’ve never been – across centuries, even and helps me escape.
  • Canada: This country has changed me and given me so much, not the least of which is free health care and an affordable University education
  • Food: I live to eat, what can I say? I love me some food.
  • Music: Always have something playing in the background at home. Music speaks to the soul.
  • My home: Warm, cozy and all mine – my safe space at the end of the day.
  • Warm showers: Starting the day with a warm shower makes everything better.
  • Courage: I’ve been blessed with courage to be who I am, no apologies.
  • Traveling: So much beauty around the world – I want to see it all.
  • Happiness: No explanation needed.
  • Sadness: Without sadness, happiness wouldn’t feel as “happy”.
  • Fear: It makes me see the parts of myself that are holding me back from living the life I want to.
  • Pain: There’s always a lesson in it.
  • The self checkout at the grocery store: Can’t stand lines? Check yourself out! Fun.
  • Rain: It’s so comforting & cleansing. Two of my favorite activities are playing in the rain and staying in from the rain with a book & blanket.
  • Rainbows: Beauty from the heavens
  • Sunshine: Spending time in the sunshine makes life brighter. Literally & figuratively.
  • Kind strangers: Witnessing the random acts of kindness of strangers makes me want to be a kind stranger, too.
  • The Internet: I’ve met so many wonderful people through this medium.
  • My job: It pays the bills and keeps a roof over my head. Plus, I learn something every day.
  • My lighteningfast typing speed: I still can’t type as quickly as I think. But I almost can.
  • Journals: Writing is therapeutic.
  • Water: Peaceful. Cleansing. My element.
  • The Ocean: Okay, technically this is water, but the ocean is my favorite body of water. Nothing like the sound, sight and smell of the ocean to calm down an anxious soul
  • 80’s love ballads: I’m a child of the 80’s, what can I say?
  • Body: Okay there’s lots I’d change about my body, but I love it for the experiences it gives me and the joy of experiencing life in the third dimension.
  • Mind: Love thinking…except when I think too much.
  • Soul: What’s not to love? Our souls are wiser than we can comprehend.
  • Spirit Guides: Having constant friends is so comforting.
  • Blogs: Meeting like-minded people through blogs has changed my life.
  • Movies: A great, 2 hour escape
  • Coffee: Wakes me up, makes mornings feel much more tolerable
  • Resiliency: Picking yourself up after disappointments and letdowns is all thanks to the resiliency of the human spirit
  • Photography: Love seeing images from places I’ve never been, of people I’ve not yet met
  • Reiki: Learning how to give energy medicine has been one of my biggest gifts in life. Almost done with my Master/Teacher course, too!
  • Intuition: The feeling, voice or “just knowing” we all carry inside that tells us what’s right
  • Crossword puzzles: These are fun and keep my mind sharp. Plus I feel so smart when I finish one!
  • Wisdom of others: Has opened my eyes, mind & heart in so many ways
  • Generosity: I love giving and receiving. Try to give something every day.
  • The fact that a grocery store is a 3 minute walk from my house: I hate grocery shopping so, so much. It helps having one so close by.
  • Understanding: When I make mistakes, it feels good to have someone understand. When I hurt, it’s comforting to hug someone who has been there, done that.
  • The ability to dream: My dream world is vivid and always has lessons.
  • Tears: Cleansing in so many ways.
  • People I do readings for: I’ve learned something from each and every one of you.
  • Laughter: It’s contagious and feels oh-so-good.
  • Gratitude: I’m grateful for the ability to feel & express my gratitude.

When we express gratitude for what we have in our lives, more good comes to us. Here’s to hoping the energies around us start becoming a bit more positive. Have you been affected by the energies around us lately? How are you feeling? What are you grateful for? How can you help spread some light? Like what you read here? Subscribe to The Daily Awe! Or share this article with your friends, family and Facebook pals!

Laura January 26, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Lindsay,

That is a beautiful list! I feel more cheerful just reading yours. What a great exercise for centering your mind, body, and spirit.

Lindsay January 26, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Thank you, Laura! I’m glad it cheered you up, too! I sure needed it. Thank you for sharing it at as well! 🙂

Heather January 26, 2012 at 1:26 pm

This is an awesome post! You’ve inspired me and I’m going to make my own list!

I was really touched by the fact that you had many things on your list that could have been viewed as “negative” had you looked at them from a different perspective, but you are right on target!

What a special person you are 🙂 I am glad to call you “friend”.

Sending Love and Blessings,

Heather

Lindsay January 26, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Heather, you are one of the amazing people I was talking about, you know that right? I’m so happy to call you my friend, too.

I’d love to see your list when you’re done! 🙂

Julie | A Clear Sign January 26, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Hope you’re feeling better. That’s a great list. I tend to make my thankful/appreciative lists in my head.

Lindsay January 26, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I’m doing much better now, thanks. I love writing lists just for the sake of writing (and reflection later) but I think the lists are just as valuable in your head as they are on paper.

Tom June 7, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Posted on She’s an exceptional fihgter, and a very strong person. I’m very proud of her, and glad of being by her side loving and supporting her. <3

Lindsay June 7, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Thanks, Tom!

Sarah January 26, 2012 at 7:19 pm

This list is amazing. You have given me inspiration to create my own. Winter always gets me down and this is just what I need! Believe me when I say that reconnecting with a friend from the past (you) will be on my list!

Lindsay January 26, 2012 at 8:35 pm

You are so sweet, Sarah! I hear you on the Winter Blues – I always get so depressed this time of year. It’s hard to feel happy when the moment you step outside it’s freezing cold & you feel suffocated in your winter gear. Ohhhh I shouldn’t get started with the complaining! On a positive note, I’m so glad we reconnected! <3

Jennifer Flint January 26, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Lovely list of gratitudinousness! Personally, I’m really grateful for our new portable dishwasher. In fact, I love it so much that I would marry it, except it really belongs to my boyfriend, and he would probably object. Besides, where would you put the ring? 🙂

Lindsay January 27, 2012 at 9:29 am

LOL Jennifer you’re so funny. I’d love a new portable dishwasher! How much did you guys pay for yours? I am so sick of doing dishes – a chore that never goes away!

Jennifer Flint January 27, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Here’s the model we got from Waldemart, the Store We Do Not Speak Of:

It is really totally awesome! Quiet, small, affordable, and does a great job. For a single person, they even make countertop models, but this one is perfect for two, and gives you a bit of extra counter real estate. We put a cutting board on top of it, and voila, prep space!

I see it’s currently out of stock online, but I’d recommend buying from them anyway if possible, because you can tack on a nice extended warranty for about 30 bucks, as I recall. Not a bad deal. 🙂

Lindsay January 27, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I’m stealing “Waldemart” – with full credit to you when someone asks who came up with something so clever! LOL Thanks for the link…you’ve definitely inspired me to put this on my wish list.

Jennifer Flint January 27, 2012 at 3:24 pm

No problemo! But give the credit for Waldemart to my boyfriend Chuck, who actually came up with it. 🙂

Lisa at Practically Intuitive January 26, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Oh Lindsay, this was so lovely and sincere.

I think gratitude has been the theme of my week too! I’ve got a roof over my head, a strong healthy body, a budding intuitive practice, friends and joy. There’s so much we can be thankful for and it gets lost in the every day sturm-und-drang, right?

I think I’m going to print your list out and save it to remind me of all the wonderful things around me that I often take for granted. Thanks for the reminders, said so beautifully!

(I heart you!)

Lindsay January 27, 2012 at 9:40 am

Lisa your comment just made me smile so much! I heart you too! You’re so right…sometimes when we get stuck in the hum-drum of life we forget just how much we really have. It’s good to remind ourselves every once in a while. Or…daily! 🙂

Patti Foy | Lightspirited Being January 27, 2012 at 11:39 am

Thank you! This is the 2nd post with a gratitude list I’ve read today, and I realize my psyche is thirsty for it! (Here’s the first by my sister-in-law and good friend, its specificity kind of touched me: http://silkepowers.blogspot.com/2012/01/this-morn….

I’m about to go do my morning jacuzzi, and I’m going to spend it reminding myself of all I have to be grateful for. Thanks for that … I’m grateful for YOU! 🙂

Lindsay January 27, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Your morning jacuzzi?! That’s a blessing all in and of itself! I am very grateful for YOU, too Patti! I really enjoyed your SIL’s article, too. I love the art in the headline of her blog!

pea January 29, 2012 at 8:03 am

An extraordinarily beautiful post Lindsay.

And now I will read what your lovely ‘ball of fur’ has taught you because having written something similar I think I will be nodding in agreement all the way through. 🙂

Lindsay January 29, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Thank you so much for your kind words. You have me smiling! 🙂

quest Bars February 8, 2016 at 2:29 pm

It’s fantastic that you are getting thoughts from this article as well as from our
argument made at this time.

{ 2 trackbacks }