Wanna hear from your guides? Do the dishes!

Wanna hear from your guides? Do the dishes!

by Lindsay on January 12, 2012

in Inspiration, Intuition, Spirit Guides

The other night I was laying in bed for hours, teetering on the edge of sleep— barely conscious but not yet asleep. You know the feeling. During those moments, our brains are usually filled with either to-do lists for the following day or reflections on the day we just had.

But the other night wasn’t one of those typical nights for me. It was in those hazy pre-sleep moments that a whole whack of inspired thoughts rushed into my head — answers to questions that have been floating around in my mind, unanswered for months. Resolutions to burdens that have been weighing on my chest.  Inspiration for future articles (and other exciting things!) for this website. These seemed to fly into my consciousness, one by one.

A lone thought would float in my head, meandering for a while until I took the time to write it down. Once I wrote one down, another one would rush in. You should see my bedside journal – filled with chicken scratched notes.  I am surprised I can even read them. Thankfully, I can. And thankfully, I knew enough to know that these thoughts were more than just presleep brain work – they were the answers I’d been asking for from my spirit guides for quite some time (plus some!).

We can receive Guidance from our spirit guides, angels and higher selves at any time of day, no doubt about that. But in my experience, we often receive it when we are most vulnerable & most relaxed, leaving us more open to receiving these messages.

When are we most open to receiving Divine Guidance?

• In the groggy moments in the morning when we’re half-asleep/half awake.
  • During the floaty-type moments we experience before we fall asleep at night.
  • After a good crying jag. Okay, I’m a girl who loves a good cry. I find it therapeutic. I also find I am most ‘inspired’ and in tune with my higher self & spirit guides once I have given my nose that final blow (sorry for the mental image!) and feel that wave of peace wash over me.
  • During or after meditation. Studies have shown that Theta waves are more abundant in our brains during meditation. These waves are characteristic of wakeful rest, which leaves us more open to receiving intuitive hits and messages from our guides & higher selves.
  • When we’re doing our typical “mindless” stuff: laundry, dishes, driving to work – when your mind isn’t working on a task, you’re more likely to have one of those “aha!” moments – a flash of inspiration or the answer you’ve been waiting for.

You don’t need to be a professional intuitive or psychic or a champion meditation guru to receive Divine Guidance. You just have to be a person who sleeps, cries or does your laundry. You do at least one of those, right?

It’s a good idea to keep a journal or notebook next to your bedside for the thoughts that pop into your head like they did for me the other night. If you’re lazy like me, you won’t want to get up to groggily find a pen or paper to write everything down, no matter how good the thought seems at the time!

What are the times you find yourself most open to receiving signs from your guides or angels? Share them with us!

Michael January 12, 2012 at 9:17 am

Excellent article. I’m big on the waking moment opportunity. It’s like right before you become conscious, someone yells something really loudly so that it’s still echoing when you wake up. Pretty cool.

I can visualize an Ascended Master cupping his hands around his mouth and bellowing, “Don’t forget…!”

Lindsay January 12, 2012 at 10:05 am

Thanks, Michael! You must be more clairaudient than me…I get more visions & “knowing”. I’d love to be able to hear things more often. But when I woke up this morning, I had an image of my cousin’s newborn daughter singing opera music and I heard her, too! Is that a message that one day she’ll be an amazing singer? Only time will tell.

Michael January 12, 2012 at 10:14 am

Not exactly clairaudient…after all, it’s still just a thought. :)

A baby singing opera would go viral quickly. Call your cousin.

Julie | A Clear Sign January 12, 2012 at 9:37 am

I get waking moment and middle of the night wakeups sometimes, usually for the “bigger picture” or “you must do this” things. But I get hits all day long for more minor things, like “turn into Walgreens, they have the candy for the birthday party there” after I’ve wasted too much time online looking for something. In fact, at this point, when I’ve struggled too long to find something, and get irritated over it, I don’t even have to ask – if I let it go for a day or whatever, I can practically guarantee I’l be led right to the solution.

I find that hits come much easier after I’m back on the exercise. Also I find doing chores like dishes and laundry is a great time.

Lindsay January 12, 2012 at 10:03 am

You seem to always have an awesome connection with your Team. Mine comes and goes – I guess depending on how busy I am. Maybe sometimes it’s ME who is just letting them take a back seat. And you’re right about the exercise – unfortunately, I haven’t done that in months (unless you count biking to work, which my waist line does not).

Just the other day I took Patti Foy’s advice and wrote a question on a post-it and then forgot about it. And wouldn’t ya know it, about 2 hours later I got my answer.

Julie | A Clear Sign January 13, 2012 at 10:43 am

Well I don’t know about the connection – I think they chime in when I need it and chime out when I am supposed to learn to chill and wait…plenty of lessons get learned that way, too :) But you’re right, the hits, they just keep on comin’. It’s so funny how they come in different ways too, so that you wonder if it’s the manner that implies the degree of significance, or maybe just a different guide or angel who communicates in a different way.

BTW I did the meditation and I thought it would not work because I tune in visually differently. I was right and wrong – I didn’t get a guide, I got my Mom :)

Aunt Susan January 12, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Linds: Great article! I find that I get the divine inspiration in the bathroom or all places. Mostly in a bubble bath. Yes, I love candles and bubbles. For me, my divine intervention is from the Trinity. And yes, I am kind of traditional with a twist. Father, Son and Holy Spirt. Yet, God to some does not need to be a gender. And… I know that God has earthly angeles that help me. Who are they? different every day. Keep up your works. They are

wonderful.

Lindsay January 12, 2012 at 3:36 pm

So good to see you commenting here! :) Ahhhh bubble baths – you’re relaxed and feeling good, so it makes sense that you’d get your guidance there! I agree with you about God having earthly angels who help us — some of them are in the form of other people, even those closest to us! I like that we share this, even if we have different modalities of approaching it. I love you!

Jennifer Flint January 12, 2012 at 2:54 pm

This is definitely true – I get some of my best ideas on all fronts during meditation (during which I sometimes do cry, as I am a very efficient multitasker and like to get that out of the way all at once).

And although I had a rather hard night last night, when I fell asleep again this morning, I had just about the most amazing (lucid) dream of my entire life. It felt more like a visit to the Other Side than a dream. I won’t forget that one anytime soon! :)

Lindsay January 12, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Hi Jennifer! Awesome multi-tasker! I’ve been known to cry during meditations as well. :) I’d love to hear more about your visit/dream to the Other Side. I am always so curious about lucid dreaming – I’ve yet to have that experience! Care to share?

Jennifer Flint January 12, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Well, I don’t do it much myself, so it was notable. I was feeling sad last night because we had lost a tiny animal we were trying to rescue. I discovered this in the middle of the night, and spent some time getting him ready for burial, so I was really in need of comfort after that.

I have a sort of primary spirit friend/guide whom I know very well, and after I fell asleep again, I had the most amazingly vivid dream that I went and saw him and was able to touch him (EXTREMELY rare), and although I was aware I was dreaming, it didn’t seem like a dream at all. I was marveling at how real everything felt, and I remember stomping my feet on the carpet because I could FEEL the carpet. It was all highly physical.

And although most dreams have no continuity, this one did – I was walking through this house and all these long corridors and meeting various people, and it just seemed like a real place, with no break in the action whatsoever. I kept thinking “I’m not imaginative enough to be imagining this, even in a dream.” I also remember thinking, “Oh, I finally found a way to visit HIM,” since he is always the one coming to see me.

It was more the vividness and the self-awareness than anything that actually happened in the dream, but it has stuck with me all day, and probably will for a long time. It was somehow extremely comforting, and felt more like an OOBE than a dream. Very, very unusual. I think I will try to go there again soon!

Patti Foy | Lightspirited Being January 13, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Excellent, and I love your playful way of laying it out for us. These are my good times too, especially while I’m lying in bed (usually mornings), meditating, or doing mindless things, including taking walks with my dog. (Tho I use a digital audio recorder which I like way better than a notebook.)

My problem is that these times are soooo inspired and creative for me, that there’s no way I can organize and manage all my ideas, much less do them! Still, if I can keep from getting overwhelmed by the vast number of them, they’re so worth noting because some of them are invaluable.

Thanks for another great article.

Lindsay January 17, 2012 at 11:26 am

That’s quite the “problem” to have! Do you find that you’ve had an increase in these inspirations/creative feelings since 2012? Or have you been doing lots of personal work to make yourself more open?

Yaya June 7, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I am sorry you’ve I am sorry you’ve had some negative exneeiepcrs with your readings. Don’t let these people spoil what you are doing. Everyone has to realize the fact that what goes around comes around. They will get theirs in the end. I hope this brings a smile to you. : )

hang gliders - Paramotoring School August 11, 2015 at 9:50 pm

I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme.
Did you design this website yourself or did you hire someone to
do it for you? Plz respond as I’m looking to design my
own blog and would like to know where u got this from.
many thanks

Quest Bars February 8, 2016 at 8:26 am

Hi there to all, how is the whole thing, I think every one is getting more from this site, and your views
are nice for new visitors.