Does the Ouija give you the heebie-jeebies?

Does the Ouija give you the heebie-jeebies?

by Lindsay on February 8, 2012

in Paranormal, Spirit Guides

Photo credit: La Myra on flickr

When we were younger, my cousins, sister and I used to play in our grandparents’ attic quite often. This attic is a place where I hold many fond memories – riding on a battery operated train (with plastic tracks!), playing our made up games, being the bossy teacher while we played “school”, and sneaking into the cubby holes (which we were warned to not enter) and finding our parents’ old toys & documents. The attic always had an air of mystery about it –  perhaps just being an attic made it feel mysterious. But believe it or not, I’m even more scared as an adult to go up those steps to the attic than I was as a kid! Yes, I am convinced it’s haunted.

But I digress…I have one distinct memory of our time in the attic that isn’t so “fond” – the day one of us had the bright idea to bring the old Ouija board out and see what happened. I can’t even remember what we asked the spirit(s) we had summoned. But I DO remember we all promised that we weren’t cheating (moving the pointer with our own finger movements). At one point, the pointer began to move rapidly all over the board. The ghost had gone bonkers, and by the look of wide-eyed terror on all of our faces, I just knew none of us was doing that intentionally. We all ran downstairs in a fit of terror.

If you’ve ever used a Ouija board, then you can probably attest to the fact that those things are just downright scary. And as someone who can easily communicate with spirit guides & other beings we can’t “see” the way we would someone sitting next to us, then I can tell you there isn’t one fiber of my being that wants to use one of those things as a “Divination Tool” ever again! Ouija boards seem to invite the darkest of spirits – the souls who have left their bodies but not fully crossed over, perhaps – to come out and “play”. How this thing is sold as a “toy” for children is beyond me!

How does a Ouija board work?

A typical Ouija session begins with the users propping the board up on their knees or sitting on the floor with the board in the centre. Each person puts a finger on the pointer and then the questions begin.

Ouija Boards create a portal or a doorway for the spirits to communicate and communicate with us. But for reasons unbeknownst to me,it doesn’t seem to encourage conversations with our spirit guides or deceased relatives who want to tell us they still love us. Rather, it seems to be a portal to darker energies. I’ve heard that some of the spirit entities that come through the Ouija will pretend to be anyone that the user wants them to be strictly for the use of gaining entrance into our environment.

My advice? Stick with more tried & true divination tools (article to follow next week on using Tarot, Oracle cards and pendulums) if you want to contact your guides or a loved one in the spirit world. Stay. Away. From. The Ouija.

Do you have any Ouija board experiences – good or hauntingly bad –  to share? Comment and leave your story here. I’d love to hear it!

Sandee February 9, 2012 at 9:36 am

I was able to make a ouija board work without anyone else helping. It would start spelling out God is Great, God is Good, God is Love. But….

then it would tell me to take the board to the cemetery…. creepy!! Every time I would try it, it would keep trying to get me to take it there! I felt so creeped out by it, that I refused to use it again! I wouldn’t let anyone else touch it either!! Finally, my husband burned it, because I didn’t want to have it in the house.

Lindsay February 9, 2012 at 9:41 am

You got some positive messages in the beginning at least, eh Sandee? I have read that you have to burn them to really get rid of them, because if/when you throw them away, they somehow manage to come back! I can’t believe they sell it as a “toy”!

Lindsay February 9, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Btw – How did you make it, Sandee? I can’t believe it TOLD you to take it to the cemetary.

Sandee February 13, 2012 at 11:32 am

It was very easy for me. I just put my hands on the pointer, and right away it started to move, without even asking it a question. I think it was trying to lure me in by saying positive things. I can’t imagine what it would have been like if I took it to the cemetary. It could have been cool,but I think mostly, it would have been very scary.

Frances February 9, 2012 at 9:39 am

YES! I “played” with a Ouija board when I was about 9-10 years old. My BFF at the time, my brother, her brother and I played it once (they owned it) and I scared the CRAP out of me. I remember we asked dumb questions but the pointer really moved by itself.

I DO remember that when my BFF took it out of the box I instantly felt like it wasn’t right, but at the same time I felt drawn to it (maybe b/c of me wanting to find an explanation of the paranormal experiences I was already having at that time).

Many times I would see it at a store and wanted my mom to buy it for me, but thankfully she didn’t.

They still sell it; I saw it at Target not long ago.

Eek…

Lindsay February 9, 2012 at 9:44 am

Hi Frances! I saw that they sell an all-pink version of it for little girls! I just honestly am aghast at that! No matter how you package it, it is creepy and definitely NOT a toy!

I had a similar feeling that you did when we first took the board out of the box – it just instantly felt “off” somehow. Interesting how we felt that even as children! I know for sure I don’t want to use one again! Too chicken! LOL

Laura Warnke February 9, 2012 at 10:03 am

I agree that Ouija boards are pretty creepy. I remember getting together for a sleepover when I was around 12-13 and someone had brought a Ouija board. We all tried it and yes it did work and it scared all of us. There was nothing happy about the energies we contacted or felt. We never used it again.

One of the things I have learned via my various intuitive trainings is that it is so important to know WHO you are contacting. With a Ouija board, you just let whomever is hanging around at the time come through, which is not cool. It is rather like leaving the door unlocked in your home in a bad neighborhood. Anyone can walk through the door.

They are definitely not a toy and should not be sold as one. Available in pink now? Ugh.

Lindsay February 9, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Ouija boards seem to be be ever-popular/present at sleepovers! My mom said she never even played with them as a kid – she seemed to know to leave them alone.

You are so right that it’s important to know WHO we are contacting. And to properly close all portals or openings. Selling a divination tool to children doesn’t seem like the brightest idea someone ever had! hahaha

April February 9, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I have used a Spirit Board before, not a Ouija board persay, but its the same principal, and works the same way. I have never had any bad experiences with it. Sometimes when using it by myself I get alot of babbling nonsense but that’s about it.

I think that any forms of contacting or opening yourself up to ‘the other side’, you’re basically opening a type of ‘portal’. And unless it is done properly allowing the control of what level spirits can come through then it can be dangerous, letting in lower level spirits, then anything can happen, usually of the negative sort.

Its my belief that using a Spirit Board or Ouija Board can be perfectly safe thing to do, as long as it done properly. I did research online and found alot of info about the proper way to open such a portal and most importantly CLOSE the portal when your done.

Being that I am a Reiki Practitioner myself, I also have used Reiki to clear the energies and set intentions of the use of the board and what spirits come through including the closing of the board and energies when I’m done. Reiki can be quite effective in closing portals in a peaceful and loving way.

Your right, how this could be sold as a child’s toy is beyond me. Children really have no concept of the power it has or how to use it properly. Sadly its power isn’t even recognized by alot of adults either.

Lindsay February 9, 2012 at 7:24 pm

April – thanks so much for your educated response. I suppose if I ever wanted to use a Spirit board or Ouija board again, then I should do some research about the proper ways to work with them and then properly close the portals.

Did you make the Spirit board yourself? Or buy it? I’m curious – the name alone makes me more comfortable than the word “Ouija”, although I know in principle they are the same thing.

Thanks again for your comment. I might email you with some questions at some point! Hope that’s okay.

April February 10, 2012 at 12:08 pm

The one I have is called the ‘Psychic Circle’. Here it is at Amazon.

I have seen versions of it at Barnes & Nobles in the New Age section sometimes. I believe you can also get them at Toys r Us (same place you can get the Ouija Board).

I think you may find it alot….friendlier….if that really makes sense. I know that’s how I feel about it. Not sure I could explain why, but yeah. Check it out.

Feel free to email me anytime. I love exchanging/sharing info. 🙂

Lindsay February 10, 2012 at 3:16 pm

The Psychic Circle even LOOKS more inviting & friendlier – you’re right, April! Thanks so much for passing this along. Now I need to find a friend or two who will “play” this with me. 🙂

Anne February 9, 2012 at 6:53 pm

That ouija board – wow, stood my hair on end when I asked it if we were bound by ‘contracts’ – to note: I was grown up but naive about spirituality and ‘rules’ pertaining to low vibrations- the board replied: ‘intelligent for a blissful’…someone else asked about Avalon- the board went haywire: ‘OMG’- it spelled- Absolutely,definitely,of course’ – that was enough for me. However, funny about ‘OMG’….

Lindsay February 9, 2012 at 7:22 pm

LOL! That “omg” gave me a good chuckle! You asked some good questions – if I weren’t so afraid, I might try asking those questions on a Ouija. There won’t be any “next time” for me, though.

Julie February 9, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Yes, we had one growing up. My girlfriends and I would take it out to the backyard and set it in the grass. I think we asked about which boys liked us and things like that (so we must have been, what? maybe 9 or 10) I don’t recall ever getting it to legitimately move on its own.

Lindsay February 10, 2012 at 3:11 pm

LOL Julie – sounds like typical girl antics! I don’t know why the Ouija seems to be such a popular sleepover tool…nighttime = creepier/scarier somehow?

Jennifer Flint February 9, 2012 at 10:39 pm

I agree that Ouija boards are usually a poor idea. I’ve always thought of it as prank-calling the Universe at random. Not only are you not sure whom you’ll be reaching, but once they press *69, they’ve got your number too. I’m sure we’ve all seen how THAT movie turns out. Best avoided on general principles.

Lindsay February 10, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Hi Jennifer! How’s that dishwasher working out for you? 🙂 I love your analogy – you made me chuckle!

pea February 14, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Lindsay there are enough tangible, everyday things that I don’t understand without going looking for more. I would not try a Ouija board. I would leave well alone, my plate is plenty full already!

Lindsay February 16, 2012 at 10:48 am

hahaha – you’re one smart lady! 🙂

Courteney February 19, 2012 at 1:11 am

I remember when I was 12 a few of us went over to a friend’s house and ‘played’ ouija. I don’t know what the question was, but my friend who didn’t go to my school looked in the mirror and described another girl that went to my school. We were all freaked out because she had never met this girl before or knew what she looked like.

I do believe that opening portals is not good and that you should be aware of what you are doing before practicing.

When I was 15 I was interested in learning about my past lives, so I got a self guided book to uncovering your past life. Well had I known that you could open portals I never would have done it. I remember that after completing an exercise on unlocking your past lives, I felt extremely scared. I could FEEL and SEE the presence of 4 dark men following me and watching me where ever I went. I was so scared that I ended up crying at one point. This lasted about 2 days and I think that the only way it stopped was by praying to god. I was not raised by any religion and was experimenting with my spirituality on my own, so this was a good lesson about learning about entities and the power of protection. Glad to say i’ve learnt my lesson!

Lindsay February 20, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Oh wow Courteney – that is a really scary experience! I am wondering who the “men” were who were following you? I am so glad you prayed and ended up protected. I don’t think it matters who we pray to – SOMEONE is always listening and looking out for us.

Your story is a reminder to me that we can’t try to open portals or connect to the Akashic Records, etc…without the proper instructions and knowing what we’re doing.

Dylan Lin Calista June 26, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Reading this gave me goosebumps.

I’ve not used a Ouija Board in my life – I was warned about the thing early on as a child. My Mom went to a Catholic University and she told me that she messed with it along with her dorm mates…she didn’t really get into details and she never has, even though I’m now in my 20s…all she ever said was, NEVER try it because it’s unholy and it can unleash something evil. The tiniest detail she gave us was, something ‘attacked’ one of the girls in the bathroom that same night they did the Ouija board thing. It was enough to scare my brother and I to never even attempt to use one.

My Mother, my brother and I have ‘gifts’ or so they say. My Mom ‘hears’ the presence of spirits and she ‘feels’ them. My brother and I can see and hear…my brother also has ‘healing’ abilities, like when he gives you massages, you can feel the transfer of heat/ energy to you…and for me, I’ve always had my mind which they say is ‘intuition’ and/or ‘instinct’…I don’t know what to make of it.

Most of the time I meet people and I’m able to judge whether or not they’re sincere or ‘nice’ and when I encounter the not-so-nice types, I feel guilty for being judgmental but, I’m usually right in the end.

Anyway, I digress. I won’t ever mess with a Ouija board. Without it, I’ve seen some pretty weird things in my life that cannot be explained – and I know I’m not crazy. (i.e. how the heck can 3 people in the same family see the same kind of evil at different times but we can all accurately describe what we saw – and this is something we have never even discussed beforehand…it’s just beyond me.)

Panzer Bat May 23, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Hey, ouija board just got back to me after almost nine years of being missing. I moved into my aunts condo she gave me, and it’s sitting in the closet. When I was younger, I remember it having this weird feeling to the board, now as an adult, it feels almost empty. I’m also sure it no longer does anything… or it might never have done everything. But when you throw one away, they tend to stay gone. Give one away, or have them stolen (like mine was) and they come back. I feel confidant you can just toss it in the trash and be done with it.

3 A.m October 3, 2014 at 5:00 pm

It could be a terrific plus helpful piece of details. I’m happy you discussed this useful details with us. Be sure to stop us advised like this. Thanks for discussing.. 3 A.m

Jaine January 30, 2015 at 7:11 am

Really late to be checking in I know, but … I only had one experience with a ouija board. It was many years ago, my son was just a baby and I had taken him out of state to visit his father. We were separated (my choice, most certainly not dad’s; in fact, dad was desperate to get back together, and I was trying to keep him in my son’s life while letting him know that we, as a couple, were over for good. So, a lot of ambivalence on his part that may have contributed to the focus on me– he had some super strong emotions about the whole thing going on).

We did the ouija board with another couple, good friends of ours. The ouija board almost immediately started getting getting hostile with me. “Get rid of Jaine.’ ‘Jaine’s a cunt; tell her to go away.’ ‘I said to get that bitch away from me.”‘ Things like that.

Freaky, freaky, freaky, as you can imagine. I said ( we were all a little buzzed) “put that thing away.” I accused of my kinda ex of manipulating it, and so did the other couple, who used the board a lot, and had never seen it behave like that. I think it made us all feel better to believe that my kind of ex was manipulating it, but he was adamant that he was not, and he was not lying about it. So he wasn’t doing it on purpose. I think it may have been his emotions spilling over because it was all about me, me, me, and what a bitch I was.

And it was inevitable, no matter who asked it a question (except me. I think I asked it a question early on and it said ‘shut up, bitch.’), it would say something nasty about me — it’d just start moving right toward the J and it’d be like, “oh brother, here we go again.’ I’ve heard stories since that make me think I was lucky. I’ve heard that ouija boards DO take dislikes against people and can get very nasty, even threatening.

My mother, when I told her about my experience said to leave the boards alone always. She said that she and a friend used to get answers from one, but only when my mom asked the questions. It wouldn’t answer her friend, Edith’s answers, and, at one point, Edith hit the board playfully, saying “oh you! I don’t like you! Why won’t you answer MY questions?” Almost immediately, my mom said, the board quit answering questions, and started telling my mother to go home (my mom was next door at her best friend’s house. Edith was the much younger sister of my mom’s best friend and next door neighbor, who was there babysitting.

My mom said, she didn’t want to go home and the ouija board said my dad’s name, mentioned him by name and said he was looking for my mom. My mom just said cavalierly, ‘Well, let him look then’ but the board was like, “no. you need to go home now.”

Edith said, “Dont’ go, Don’t do!” all in a panic and my mom was all like, “it’s alright, Edith, it’s not going to do anything” Finally, because Edith was so panicked, my mom asked the board if it was going to do anything to Edith, and it said, simply, “yes.” My mom was like”you’re kidding! What you are you going to do to her?” The board said, “I’m going to kill her,” and then shut down entirely. Needless to say, my mom stayed until Edith’s sister and brother-in-law came home.

Tragically, Edith did die young, in car accident, I think, but it was several years later. My mother doesn’t exactly believe the ouija board had anything to do with it, but she never touched one again, and was horrified to hear that I had, especially with such a hostile one.

quest bars February 8, 2016 at 7:01 am

Hi there friends, its wonderful paragraph about cultureand completely explained, keep it up
all the time.