What do you think about before you fall asleep?

What do you think about before you fall asleep?

by Lindsay on February 29, 2012

in Dreams, Inspiration, Motivation, Personal Growth

Photo credit: kangkang8801 on flickr

What do you think about before you fall asleep? Choose from the options below:

• All of the things that went wrong during the day
  • Everything I didn’t check off my ‘to do’ list
  • My giant, ever-growing agenda for the following day
  • Worrying – about anything and everything
  • “I forgot to brush my teeth”
  • Nothing – my head hits the pillow and I’m OUT
  • “What’s for breakfast?”

If you chose any of the above, (aside from the last two), welcome to the Stressed Out Club: a club that no one ever wanted to be a member of, yet somehow find themselves vying for the position of CEO.  The good news is it’s a club we can opt out of, too. Especially as we lay down to sleep for the night.  And not just because sleep offers an escape!

When you get into bed tonight, instead of using the minutes before you venture off to dream-land to review what you don’t want or didn’t do, review everything you do want. Think about what you want your tomorrow look like; what you want your life to look like.

• “I am happy”
  • “I am in great health”
  • “I will get that job I really want!”
  • “I will quit that job I really hate!”
  • “I will handle whatever comes my way tomorrow with grace.”
  • “I am a mega-millions lottery winner!”

All of the above are great thoughts to have before drifting off with the Sandman. Except for the last one – that one’s all me.

As Dr. Wayne Dyer says in the video below,

You have to be able to see your wish fulfilled already in advance and call those things into your life as if they already exist.

Wishes Fulfilled

In a nutshell: if you lay in bed and worry about the horrendously long & busy day you will have tomorrow, guess what kind of day you’re inviting into your life? But if you put a positive spin on your end-of-day thoughts…what do you think will come of that? I’m willing to try and see.

Get weekly posts delivered to your inbox: subscribe to The Daily Awe.

Laura Warnke March 1, 2012 at 11:59 am

I found myself nodding in agreement to this one: Nothing – my head hits the pillow and I’m OUT.

I guess that is better than stressed out, but using those last few minutes to reflect positive thoughts and intentions is definitely a better choice.

Lindsay March 1, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Mine is the “nothing” option, too! I need to start going to bed a little earlier to be able to set positive intentions. :)

Julie March 1, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I am “nothing” as well…mainly because I am usually reading to the kids and/or breaking up fights before they pass out and I do, too!

Since I am an insomniac, I wake up in the middle of the night. I have to purposefully put pleasant thoughts in there before I can get back to sleep. On a rare occasion when I outlast the kids, I find there’s a whole host of visual images dying to jump out at me so it’s almost like watching a movie before I go off to dreamland.

Lindsay March 1, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Yeah I hear you on the movie part. ‘Cept mine is less “movie” and more “thoughts/divine inspiration” of some sort, on the nights I don’t just pass out immediately.

Kristin March 1, 2012 at 2:40 pm

When I saw your headline in my inbox this afternoon, I did one of those “jaw drop, gasp, put hand over mouth” moves. I talk to my spirit guides most every night before bed. Last night I was wrestling with a decision and asked for some guidance. Before actually falling asleep, an epiphany about the situation hit me like a ton of bricks (thank you spirit team!). Then all night I had these lovely, beautiful dreams supporting the epiphany. I woke up refreshed and knowing what to do. So the subject of your blog was just another confirmation that I didn’t think this up on my own. Thank you Lindsay!

Lindsay March 1, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Here’s another hand-over-mouth piece for you: I was just thinking about you yesterday and wondering how you’re doing!! I often ask for messages/signs in dreams. Now, remembering those dreams is a whole ‘nother story! I should probably add that next time I ask, eh? :)

Kara March 3, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Good post, and good reminder that negativity is easily replaced with positivity. I really envy all of you who just drift off to sleep peacefully with “nothing” in your head. My head is always so far, and my brain so busy, it is very difficult to turn it off.

Sometimes I have to read for as much as an hour just to “trick” my brain into stop obsessing over all the stuff going on in my life. However, the fantastic medical intuitive Christopher Stewart mentioned a technique that I now use every night, and I seem to have an easier time falling asleep. I simply say “I release all that which no longer serves me. What is yours is yours, what is mine is mine, and the rest I release to the Universe.” This seems to break the chains that bind my mind to the day. :)

Kara

Lindsay March 6, 2012 at 10:47 am

Hey Kara!

Funny how a simple sentence can make such a big difference, eh? Letting go and letting “God” offers such a relief. Thanks for dropping by. I loved your latest post, btw!

Patti Foy | Lightspirited Being March 6, 2012 at 1:54 pm

OMG and LOL: Busted!!!

What a great message. Even your bringing this to my attention goes a long way. And funny … just last night I recorded that Dyer talk off PBS.

Thank you!

Lindsay March 7, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Really?! You and I seem to have some invisible connection…this has happened a few times – you either post something I was just thinking about or I hear a song from one of your favorite artists & write about it…awesome!

Dylan Lin Calista June 26, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I have a mild case of OCD. I’m an obsessive compulsive thinker, hehe.

My thoughts before bedtime usually comprises of my to-do list (so that I don’t forget work related stuff and I always stay on top of things).

Recently, though, ever since I got sick, I’ve been trying to focus on positive thoughts on my health. It’s a struggle to stay positive all the time, especially when things seem to be going from bad to worse. (got diagnosed with tumor, had operation, now at risk of losing my job, can’t go job hunting because I can’t even walk right…)

I try :)