Last week, my friend Julie posted 100 things about her on her blog, A Clear Sign. Actually Julie, I think it was 60! She encouraged me to do the same, and although the idea of hitting “publish” on this post makes my palms sweaty, I’m going to do it anyway.
We all have unique stories – there’s no one out there with the exact experiences as you – yet we are all connected. Read through my list, take notes and tell me in the comments what we have in common, or what about my memories/list triggered a memory recall for you.
- I was born in the middle of July during a hail-storm. The hailstones were huge and ruined people’s roofs and vehicles.
- My parents were both 19 when I was born and even if they weren’t ready, I know I was loved from the very beginning.
- I am the oldest of 3 girls.
- I have always liked being the oldest.
- My sisters are among my best friends.
- My mom is my best friend, too.
- Before she passed away, my maternal grandmother was also on my list of best friends. Actually, she still is.
- People sometimes ask if my sister Michelle and I are twins. She is 3 years younger than me and I’ve always thought she is the prettier one, so I take that as a compliment.
- My dad’s side of the family never really bothered much with us. It used to make me sad and bitter. Now I know it’s a loss for them.
10. I have two dimples. My grandpa used to say the angels kissed me on my cheeks before I was born and that’s what gave me my dimples.
11. Alcoholism runs on both sides of my family.
12. I love singing, but won’t do it in front of you unless I know you very well or, in my wilder days, drunk.
13. I once yelled at a group of people in a bar while I was singing karaoke because I felt they weren’t being quiet enough.
14. I crack my knuckles. And neck. And back. And toes.
15. My mom was in Lamaze class with my first girlfriend’s mom. We are 16 days apart.
16. Although we’d known each other for years and years, we didn’t become friends until 11th grade. 16 years later and we still talk on a weekly basis.
17. The only part I’ve ever had in a play was a non-speaking role.
18. I was forced “out” in high school and the last two weeks of my high school career were spent being made fun of and teased in cruel ways.
19. In 6th grade, two boys used to call me “bat face”. To this day, I still don’t understand why.
20. I have a 3rd grade level comprehension of math. When I see numbers, I freeze.
21. I am what some might call a grammar ‘nazi’. If you don’t know the difference between you’re and your, there, their or they’re or its and it’s, I lose a lot of respect for you.
22. I am a Cancer, but my moon and ascendant are both in Virgo. That’s probably why I’m a stickler for grammar.
23. My hair is naturally blonde and I get compliments on it every time I get my hair cut.
24. I never go to the same hair stylist twice.
25. Small talk makes me uncomfortable. I’d sooner talk about someone’s labor & delivery rather than the weather.
26. I have been a surrogate mom.
27. Most days, I wish I hadn’t done that.
28. I love witnessing birth. There is nothing more miraculous and beautiful.
29. I have two nieces and a nephew.
30. I grew up in a small town in Pennsylvania.
31. I always knew I wouldn’t spend my whole life there, even though that’s where my family is.
32. Everyone in Central Pennsylvania drops the “g” off the end of words. I’ve since lost the accent, but when I go back home, my Central PA accent comes right back.
33. I was a vegetarian for a year. And although I’d love to be a vegetarian, I just enjoy eating meat too much.
34. I used to shoot a BB gun at the pigeons in my grandparents’ back yard when I was a young girl.
35. Pigeons sought their revenge – one attacked me while I was on the phone with my mom when I was about 23 years old. I was screaming so much, my mom thought I was being mugged.
36. A week later, a pigeon flew into my car, breaking the windshield.
37. I will never understand why anyone would have a bird for a pet.
38. I have FAR more patience for babies and children than I do for adults. In fact, I prefer their company most of the time.
39. I’m a dog person and although cats are cute when they purr, I don’t like how you have to beg for their affection most of the time. Give me the wagging tail of a dog any day.
40. I used the shed in my grandparents’ back yard as the “Girls Club”. I charged dues and I was the President.
41. When I was a young girl, I used to play “school” with the spirits in my bedroom. I was the teacher and they were my students. I never told anyone until I was an adult.
42. A red-headed ghost used to visit me before I would fall asleep at night. He always carried a grocery bag with carrots in it. I would get scared and sleep with my head under the covers.
43. I have always been a voracious reader. As a kid, I would use a flashlight under the covers and read until I fell asleep.
44. A tornado could rip through my living room and if I’m reading a book, I might not notice.
45. Everyone who knows me gets annoyed when they call my name and I don’t listen. I have an uncanny ability to block out all noises.
46. Except for people chewing. My #1 pet peeve is the sound of people chewing crunchy foods. Followed second by people slurping and gulping.
47. If you drag your teeth across your fork or spoon, my feelings of affection for you plummet significantly.
48. I love the occasional cigarette, but hate the taste. I always have to have something in my mouth if I’m smoking (gum or a candy).
49. Even as an adult, I prefer the taste of bubble gum over mint gum.
50. I am an introvert. INFJ, actually.
51. Although 80% of the population is extroverted, I’d say 80% of my friends are fellow introverts.
52. Some of my best friends I know only via online, including my intuitive buddies.
53. If I am upset about something, I do a much better job of writing it all out rather than verbalizing it.
54. I am a writer and always have been – I used to write notes all over my grandparents’ house.
55. I catch my niece doing this now and it makes me so happy.
56. When I was 19 years old, I moved to Montreal to be with the woman I loved.
57. As a small town girl, this was culture shock for me. I used to look up at the tall buildings and stare in awe.
58. Now I live in one of the largest cities in the world and rarely take time out to look up at the buildings.
59. I’ve lived in Vancouver, BC and want to move back to be close to the mountains and ocean.
60. The ocean brings me a feeling of inner calm that nothing else can.
61. When I die, I want to be cremated and my ashes thrown into the ocean.
62. I am a volunteer for Hospice Toronto.
63. Spending time with the dying has been one of the most life-changing experiences I’ve ever had. Also one of the most beautiful.
64. I am fairly certain that in one of my recent past lives, I was hit by a vehicle coming from my right side and that’s what killed me. I am always afraid of getting side-swiped and being taken out that way.
65. In one of my past lives I was a Native American male. In another, I was a Mormon woman more interested in my sister wives than my husband.
66. I once threw a Miracle Berry party, became an affiliate and have since made $300 from being a miracle berry affiliate.
67. I am a cyclist and get sour when I see people driving big SUVs and Hummers in the city (or anywhere, for that matter).
68. Until last year, I never wore a helmet while cycling. The story of a pregnant woman getting hit by a truck and dying is what inspired me to wear one at all times.
69. I used to think fruit in dessert was a cardinal sin.
70. I don’t really like sweets – I’ll take a bag of chips over a sweet any day.
71. My favorite chips are Middleswarth BBQ chips – you can only buy them in Central PA.
72. I have love handles and no desire to exercise to get rid of them.
73. I am a Reiki practitioner.
74. I want to learn how to drive a motorcycle.
75. I am highly sensitive and my feelings get hurt more than I’d like to admit.
76. I am an empath and can feel what you’re feeling, so there’s no point in lying to me and saying you’re “OK” when you’re not.
77. I once ‘saw’ numbers and told my mom about them and that day, they were the winning numbers in the PA lottery. My mom didn’t play.
78. There are 100 items on my “things I want to do by 2013” list.
79. I love lists.
80. Being organized comes naturally to me. If your home is unorganized, give me a call. I love pilfering through stuff and purging & organizing.
81. Girls who wear glasses = hot.
82. Scrabble is my favorite board game.
83. If you have a way with words, you have my heart.
84. I can’t stand losing and am fiercely competitive.
85. My teammate and I placed 11th in last year’s Toronto City Chase competition. There were over 400 teams. I am still proud.
86. My dog Chester who recently died visits me in my dreams. In the dreams, his ears are longer than we ever let them get. He was deaf, but in my dreams he tells me he can hear now.
87. I love my new puppy Solo and it’s amazing to me how deep the love is, yet how different it is for the love I shared with Chester.
88. I played softball in the summer of 2010. My team was called “Run Bitch Run” and I sucked. So when I hit a homerun in one of our last games, my teammates were so shocked they were jumping up and down and screaming in disbelief.
89. The first concert I ever went to was Kris Kross. I wore my clothes backwards for the occasion.
90. I intuitively know what is wrong with someone physically by placing my hands on their body.
91. I have all the faith in the world that some day I will be self-employed.
92. I am bitter that I have to work for someone else right now. I hate being told what to do and I resent sitting at the same desk for 8 hours/day.
93. There aren’t very many men in my life. I wish I had more of them around, I like how they’re usually straight-forward and don’t (usually) don’t backstab.
94. I love alone-time and I’m never bored or lonely.
95. I once drove across the entire country of Canada (over 5,000 kilometers) in 3 days with my best friend. We didn’t stop to sleep or shower even once – just took turns driving & napping. We saw a moose on the road one morning at dawn and screamed our heads off. But we just swerved and kept driving.
96. I don’t like having over 200 friends on Facebook. If I haven’t talked to you in 6 months or more, then I delete you from my list.
97. The look, feel and scent of burning candles always makes me feel peaceful. I almost always have one burning in my home. I go through a lot of candles as a result.
98. Sharing this list is the most open I’ve been to strangers in a while. Maybe ever.
99. I know I am going to be giving birth to a girl again in the future…I just hope it’s sooner rather than later.
100. This article took me almost triple the amount of time it takes me to write the average weekly column for the blog.
Did reading this trigger any memories for you? Make you remember something about yourself? Do we have anything in common? Do me a solid and share something about yourself here in the comments.