The Re-Awakening – how I went from hating to loving meditation

The Re-Awakening – how I went from hating to loving meditation

by Lindsay on May 31, 2012

in Inspiration, Intuition, Personal Growth

Photo credit: janicebriggs3350 on flickr

“The gift of learning to meditate is the greatest gift you can give yourself in this lifetime.”–   Sogyal Rinpoche

I’m just going to come right out and say it: I don’t like meditating. Well, I didn’t like meditating until very recently, that is. I always felt like I couldn’t quiet my mind the way I was “supposed” to; there were only a small number of guided meditations I could bring myself to listen to & follow, and even then I would only do it once a week (if that). The only time I could ever quiet my mind was when I was about to do a reading for someone. Great for doing readings, but not so good for personal growth and my own inner peace & calm.

On a whim, I listened to my gut – a tiny nudge I recognized as a message from my guides – and I purchased the meditation program by Angela Artemis and Steve Aitcheson called “The Reawakening”.

The ReAwakening is a step-by-step program that comes with:

• An easy to understand instruction manual
  • Three books
  • A workbook
  • 10 meditations – you can choose between listening to a male or female voice
  • Binaural beats

It only took 10-15 minutes each day. After only a few meditations, I began to look forward to that part of my day. Yes, seriously!

I used to be one of those people who made up every excuse in the book not to meditate: I’m too busy, I’m too tired, I can’t quiet my mind, it doesn’t work for me…chances are if you can think of the excuse, I used it at one point.

So what I’m trying to say is: if I can do it, you can too. If you’re already a meditation guru, yay! If you’re a beginner, expert or something in between, then this program is for you.

One of my favorite quotes from one of the books that came with the program is:

We do not need to lock ourselves away from society or live in an ashram to stay connected to the heart. We can live “everyday lives” that are extraordinary by viewing everyone and everything through the lens of the heart.  – Miracle of the Heart

I’m a busy person: I have a day job, do intuitive readings and Reiki part-time, have a robust personal life and spend (too much) time on Facebook. I even have a 3 month old puppy whose favorite chew toy seems to be me. But even Solo meditated with me every day. I called his time on the meditation pillow his “bone meditation” b/c he’d mindlessly (or mindfully?) chew his bone while I listened to the audio recordings.

Want to learn more about The ReAwakening? Click here to learn more and order the program yourself. If you do, be sure to let me know what you think of it and what your experiences are!

PS – Due to popular demand after last week’s article about spirit guides, I’ve created a short guided meditation to help you meet your guides! Visit The Daily Awe Shop to download your copy.

Do you meditate? If not, why not? Do you have any meditation programs or teachers you’d recommend? Share with us here!

Angry Umlaut May 31, 2012 at 10:45 am

Awesome, i laughed reading this meditatating is anathema to me! I mean, it’s like V8 juice..you know it’s good for you but the thought of DRINKING IT.

I usually ‘meditate’ by doing mindnumbingly boring stuff (hi, interminable laundry) and also while hiking. But this seems like a neat way to take it to the next level. Meditating also helps hone intuition (so I have read:) so I am checking it out. Oh I also looked at your recommended book list. I have read more than half of them..before stumbling on this site! I LOVE LOVE Sonia Choquette, she’s fabulous. I have a few of her books I had to buy them. I love this site ridiculously!

Lindsay May 31, 2012 at 6:11 pm

LOL You are SO Right about V8! Most of the time I can’t force myself to drink it…much like meditation, pretty much!

I like that you made the point that we can meditate doing mindless things – dishes, laundry, etc…SUCH a good point!

So glad you love the site. I SO appreciate your feedback & support!

Julie | A Clear Sign May 31, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I am so glad you ended up enjoying it. I can just Solo there keeping you company :)

Lindsay May 31, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Yep – a good way to spend $27! Solo is the best. :) We just need to work on him not growling at other small dogs at the dog park. Besides that, he’s a good boy!

Roz June 1, 2012 at 11:59 am

I like to spend time down at the lake meditating. I sit on the bench and quiet my mind and just let things flow. I found that meditating worked best when I didn’t get upset at myself for thoughts that came in. I just let them come, then remind myself to quiet my mind again.

Before that, meditating was like nails on a chalkboard for me. Not only did I hate doing it, it irritated me.

Lindsay June 5, 2012 at 2:13 pm

NOTHING beats meditating down by the lake or near a body of water – totally agreed! I’m glad you found your sanctuary. :)

Haley Steinhardt June 3, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Thanks for this post, Lindsay! I have been telling myself that as soon as I finish my studio renovations, I will have that -space- to do a daily meditation… but so many things–including this post–have been telling me to get on it NOW, not later;)

Lindsay June 5, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Sooooo…inquiring minds want to know…have you started?! :) Just like having a baby, there never really is a GOOD time, is there?

Haley Steinhardt July 9, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Drum roll, please…

I have been doing a daily meditation for all of five days now! It doesn’t sound like much, but today is day six, and I am already looking forward to that quiet time with just me and Spirit:)

Lindsay, I couldn’t reply to your comment until I had a YES! Haha;)

Lindsay July 11, 2012 at 6:45 pm

You. Are. Awesome. YAY! How’s it going? Does it feel good?

Haley Steinhardt July 11, 2012 at 8:47 pm

It feels GREAT. :) It makes even hard days easier to roll with! I feel calmer and clearer more consistently, which is a true blessing.

Becki August 13, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I have been in the same boat…I can’t seem to quiet my mind long enough to meditate..I just ordered your guided meditation..so excited to try it!! I will be using is asap and will take it with me to the beach next week as well! Can’t wait to look forward to meditation! LOL!!

Lindsay August 14, 2012 at 11:08 am

Have fun at the beach Becki, you lucky girl!

louis vuitton handbags February 28, 2014 at 4:51 am

because I’m sort of going out with two brothers. Because he’s massive and we bet he’s hard as nails. don’t get nasty, with ?Go down when you are not even touched,MarouaneFellaini,Ramirezand Lambert then combined before the Scouser turned Sylvain Distin in the 27th minute,Hitting the front with a lap-and-a-half to go,The Aussies trailed in almost three seconds behind.“We know what the FA Cup means at this club.

Randal February 7, 2016 at 3:28 pm

I enjoy reading through a post thawt will make people think.
Also, thank you for allowing for me to comment!

buyers February 8, 2016 at 9:53 am

An innovator should believe that he or she is effective at influencing modify.
Whilst exploring in this place you can observe that there
are permanent and temporary exhibition art galleries.
This really is if you are going or have gone through an identical experience.

Quest bars February 8, 2016 at 11:11 am

I’ve read some just right stuff here. Certainly price bookmarking for revisiting.
I wonder how a lot attempt you put to create this kind of magnificent informative website.

Rich February 8, 2016 at 11:50 am

I like reading through a post that can make people think.

Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!