How To Get The Universe to Show You A Sign

How To Get The Universe to Show You A Sign

by Lindsay on August 30, 2012

in Inspiration, Intuition, Motivation, Paranormal

Photo by Angela Richardson

My website stats show me the search terms people use that bring them to The Daily Awe. Some of them are funny:

• “If I make a girl smile does that mean she likes me?”
  • “Why do I feel as though I have met my soulmate and spend the rest of my life with a man I only know a little about and we have never been intimate besides a friendly hug here and there?”
  • “I dreamed my x coworker was divorced”
  • “How to shag your soul mate when you met them on the Internet”

I can assure that person this blog won’t help them to get laid, sadly.

One particular search term that came up the other day was, “How to get the Universe to show you a sign”

How DO you get the Universe to show you a sign?

Stay open: I’ve tried to be really specific when asking my guides for a sign. “If this person is right for me, I want to see a red balloon floating in the air at 10:15 pm on my way home from my friend’s birthday party on Saturday, June 2nd”. Guess what? It (usually) doesn’t work that way. You can ask for a sign, but try not to be so specific. The more open you are, the more likely you are to have your mind blown away by the signs.

Listen to your own feelings and thoughts: If you’ve been waiting for a sign and just haven’t gotten one…it may be time to reconsider. Have you had any gut feelings or thoughts on the subject you’re looking for a sign in? Your own intuition might be the sign you’ve been waiting for.

Keep your cents about you: When I’m looking for validation from the Universe on this, that and the other thing, it almost always comes in the form of finding dimes. You mind find pennies or quarters or $20 bills…but Spirit often speaks to us in the form of our own currency…it’s easy for them to do. Yesterday I found a shiny dime under the wheel of my bike, and I’d been thinking about something important to me

Ask: Of course, I’m stating the obvious. But have you asked your spirit guides or the Universe for a sign? Let them know you’d like a little help making a decision or whatever it is you are looking to the Universe with help with. And guess what? You need only ask once. My guides get impatient with me when I ask them the same thing over and over. If you’ve asked once, they heard you! Patience is a virtue and I’ve been taught that the more I try to rush the ‘signs’, the longer I’ll be waiting.
How do you ask the Universe or your guides for signs? What are some of the coolest ways your guides have given you these signs? Share your experiences with us!

Mila | Shiny Spirit August 30, 2012 at 8:19 am

Lindsay, this is amazing! Just fifteen minutes ago I made myself a cup of coffee and as I was walking to my desk I noticed that the foam on top of the coffee formed into a heart shape! This never happened to me before, so I thought that was very lovely. And then, just a few minutes later I see your article about signs from the Universe and when I open it – the picture shows a heart shaped grape .

I hope that this is a sign from the Universe that the decision I’ve made this morning is aligned with my heart and my purpose.

Thank you for the article, it is very timely for me :)

Lindsay August 30, 2012 at 9:15 am

Oh my gosh I am grinning from ear to ear! How awesome is that?! I love it, Mila! A sign, indeed.

anne mccarroll August 30, 2012 at 10:45 am

signs are wonderful. I will say, however, I had an unusual one on Monday: I had a ‘repeater’. The token left for me last week was a washer – (like with a bolt?) and I looked long and hard at it. I usually get pennies that are so mutilated you can’t see Abe’s face, or the date is scratched off…or it’s fifty years old(?!?)

this washer was scratched in a particular way – I kept it, put it in my shoe pouch since I found it on my run. I dropped it the next day when, on my run, I stopped to get water. In fishing out the change from said pouch, the washer fell out.

I found it again – SAME WASHER- the next day on my run…near the same place I found it the first time. I made sure to say thanks for the, ah, lost and found effort. It’s safely tucked away with my other pennies and bits.

I also made sure to make a link in present with the absolute miracle that I stumbled on that moment. It was humbling and serious, no doubt. I also got such a case of shakes, I had to sit down on the sidewalk!!!

Lindsay August 31, 2012 at 7:42 am

Anne that is just about one of the coolest stories of ‘signs’ I’ve ever heard, no word of a lie! I can see why you got the shakes over that! AMAZING!

Lindsay August 31, 2012 at 9:34 am

I was filling up the air in my bike tires this morning when I noticed a penny that was so worn that you couldn’t see Abe’s face. Well, in this case the Queen’s face since I’m in Canada. :) I thought of you!

Julie | A Clear Sign August 30, 2012 at 11:53 am

I only specifically ask for a sign (instead of just keeping open to what comes along) when I am looking for the Truth in something or I am really conflicted. The other day when we were talking about Mariah, I had asked earlier for a sign as to whether it was a template or whether I should honor her work. I just asked them to bring up the name or Mary within a couple of days, and I’d know it was valid. Well the ONLY sign I got was our conversation, and you may recall the remark you made about the name. So there you go. I just assume that if I’ve asked, I’ve been heard. No Sign is generally a big No.

Lindsay August 31, 2012 at 7:43 am

I was thinking more about this: even if it was a template, that doesn’t mean the stuff in there specific to you didn’t contain some truth. But the more time I spent on it, the more I felt uneasy and uncomfortable. So. NO.

Julie | A Clear Sign August 31, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I should send it to you for an opinion but I know you are busy. Uneasy is exactly how I felt. It took me a few days to recover my energy, and that in itself is very telling. Still working on it as there is MUCH to do.

Billie August 30, 2012 at 3:52 pm

what….???… I’m not gonna get laid by asking my spirit guide to find me some help?… pfftt… ;)

oh, the question was how do we ask for a sign… I’m still baffeled by the incident that involves my good friend Terry…. I just speak to them, out loud… as if asking myself a question…. and then I wait until something I read answers it for me….

Lindsay August 31, 2012 at 7:43 am

LOL well…maybe your spirit guides will be more helpful to you than mine have been in the “getting laid” department! haha

I’m still baffled about your Terry incident, too…I just have to wonder when you’ll be getting your answer. I want to say SOON!

Jennifer Flint Designs August 30, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Hmm. I am going to start asking my guides to leave me signs in the form of $100 bills. If I see even one $100 bill lying around my house, I am going to take that very seriously, because that NEVER happens. :P

Really, though, speaking of heart-shaped stuff, I was putting the patina on some jewelry recently, and having a rather bad day, when I looked over to find that the little pool of liver of sulfur in the cap of the bottle had formed into a perfect heart. I thought that was sweet. Smelly and yellow and weird, but still sweet. I took a photo of it, which I should post on my blog soon, now that you remind me.

Lindsay August 31, 2012 at 7:44 am

Now if you start finding $100 bills at your house, I’ll be coming over for visits…no matter how far away you are from me! ;) I love finding heart shapes in random, unexpected places. A friend of mine has an entire album on FB of hearts she found in unlikely places. I wanna see the photo of your liver of sulfur heart!

Maureen August 30, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I love how cool the Universe is! I’ve only recently begun to discover how the Universe speaks to us and moves on our behalf … and I am always so grateful and moved when a sign comes.

I have a cool story, and a question:

The story: Not too long ago, my creativity/life coach wanted me to see how the Universe works — how It really does hear me and provide what I need or ask for. She said, “Okay, let’s say … Red Hat.” I didn’t know what she was talking about. She went on, “Now wait and see how the Universe responds.” I still didn’t know what in the world she was talking about, but I just said, “Okay.”

After our session, I went to get a cup of coffee and I looked out the kitchen window. And … I still get chills when I think about this … there was a huge RED-HEADED WOODPECKER just a few feet away on the suet feeder by our deck! It was the first time I’d ever seen a red-headed woodpecker in person — especially right at my house by my window! Immediately “red hat” came to mind. And I knew — it was the Universe sending me a sign that it does hear me!

Now for my question: My coach and I did this for a few weeks, and the Universe answered every time. But when I ask the Universe on my own for a sign — about something more personal than “red hats” — I don’t usually get one. (Perhaps I’m not seeing it?). I try not to be specific; usually I ask for a sign or message to help guide me about something — e.g., steer me in the right direction, help me make the best decision, etc. Why do you think that is?

I should add that the Universe/Spirit does surprise me often with signs when I haven’t asked … which is very awesome!

Lindsay August 31, 2012 at 7:48 am

THAT is such an awesome story! I’m guessing your teacher/coaches guide was in cahoots with yours for that one!

As for not getting answers to more personal requests…those may just come in the form of feelings or thoughts you have, rather than signs. I often get that gut feeling as an answer rather than finding a dime or seeing a bird as validation. Maybe that’s how your guides are speaking to you? Are you an empathic person? Because if so, that’d be my bet.

I suppose if that’s the case and you’d rather see something tangible, you can let your guides know!

I totally agree – the Universe is awesome! I LOVE getting surprise signs when I am not expecting anything. Those are the best kinds!

Maureen August 31, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Hi Lindsay, Thanks so much for your response. It makes so much sense! For the past few years I’ve been getting more in touch with who I truly am — the “real me” — and I’m beginning to see that I am more empathic than I realized. I just read a few of your posts about empaths, and you explain the characteristics so clearly. I match almost every one of the traits you listed. (I was ALWAYS being told by my mom that I was “Too Sensitive” — and not in a positive tone of voice).

It seems that more and more, as I get in touch with the true me, I can’t tolerate things like crowds, unsettling TV shows, chaos, hearing or reading about hurt or abused animals/people, etc. I thought these things came about due to a chronic illness I have — I thought my nervous system has been weakened. But now I wonder whether the illness came on because I ignored these things about myself and tried to push past them — so I overwhelmed my system to the point where my body shut down. Years ago I used to drink in order to feel comfortable in crowds; alcohol helped numb my senses to the point I could tolerate things.

Also, when it comes to knowing what someone is thinking or feeling, I’ve always been able to tune into that — but I thought that was normal! I thought everyone could tell what other people feel or think based on subtle gestures, facial movements, etc. I’m beginning to trust my feelings more as I realize I have this … ability.

I have a ways to go when it comes to trusting my gut; I get so confused between my gut and my head! Spirit guides are new to me — I’m just now learning about them and haven’t yet connected with mine .. although I’ve started talking to them before I meditate, telling them I’d like to know them.

Sorry for this long comment — and thank you again for your insightful reply! You were right on. I will start looking inside for signs, as well as outside :-).

Haley Steinhardt September 3, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Okay… so, I have to share with you that I read this blog post in the middle of having a fairly upsetting and unsettling experience on Friday involving a dear mentor of mine letting me down in a major way. This was the kind of earth-shaking event that made me question myself deeply, including questioning the validity of my path as a healer. It was a big day for self doubt.

Here, on the other side of the weekend, I have HUGE gratitude for my hard day on Friday, and for being able to dig deeply and look at that self doubt. The weekend unfolded in such a healing and magical way where I saw so very many signs of support from the universe… to the point of crying happy tears yesterday afternoon and saying out loud, “Okay, universe! I get it!” Silly me for not having faith that I was always supported, even when I felt the ground move under me.

And here’s the sharing bit for you, Lindsay…

…right after I read your post, in the middle of dealing with a heavy heart, I stopped at the grocery store. When I came out, I looked up and saw a balloon floating in the sky! Okay, so it wasn’t “a red balloon floating in the air at 10:15 pm on my way home from my friend’s birthday party on Saturday, June 2nd,” but I instantly thought of this post about signs from the universe and knew that’s what it was. That was the moment that everything started turning around and feeling better for me:)

The universe DOES listen and respond. And somehow, it surprises and delights me every time!

Lindsay September 5, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Haley I love this story!!! How awesome is that?! Gotta love the Universe for things like that, eh? I’m sorry to hear about your whole world rocking and your heart hurting, though. I can imagine how that must feel…sending you lots of energy hugs. I hope you don’t let this steer you off course on your own path to being a healer. The world needs you and your work!

Haley Steinhardt September 5, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Amen! And thanks:)

Diana September 4, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I love signs! And I kinda get them a lot. I plan to move to Rotterdam soon and a couple of months ago, I sort of began having second thoughts. I wasn’t quite sure if it’s the very right thing to do, if I’m walking on the right path cause it’s a big step for me. So I asked the Universe for a sign, I wanted to be sure. The next day, I felt an unexplainable urge to solve a puzzle and I suddendly remembered I got one like 10 years ago and never touched it before. I didn’t even know what it’s about. So, again, I miraculously remembered where I put it and when I found it and looked at it, guess what? It was a puzzle of the city Rotterdam. That was just… wonderful. :)

zee October 27, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Dear Lindsay,

Just came across this website! A good one.. having some troubles lately with relationship… Does positive thinking really work? Lately I have been having weird experiences.. If I want something to work out to my advantage, I start thinking negatively. Suppose if I am expecting a call from someone, I start visualizing that I don’t receive any call from that person.It always works out to my benefit. If positive thinking attracts positive stuff, why is it not working with me?

Martina May 6, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Last month I set a goal to be married by 2015. I am single, and generally happy in life but at 30 years old I felt it was time to settle down. I told my friends of my goal and they all laughed at me, you will never find a man to marry u in 2 years. But I had faith and slowly started to list what I wanted in a man. Now, just 3 weeks later I find myself blessed with a man that ticks every box on my list. He is AMAZING…but I started to doubt if he was the one. I decided to ask the universe for help but wasn’t sure how. Last night I came across your post and although I never asked for a sign I received one today in the form of a red balloon drifting through the air right in front of my path. I am now sure that by 2015 my Mr Amazing will put a ring on my finger and continue to make me a very happy lady :-)

Bliss November 4, 2013 at 7:45 am

Hi Martina,

I am in the place where you were, just curious a little more about the revealed sign to you.

I think that I have seen the signs, but still unsure

Thanks

How To Look Attractive August 1, 2013 at 3:35 am

If your symptoms are dictating your daily routines, get help.

Choose a shade that is complimentary to your lipstick shade.
Allows the user to create a customized user interface in order to organize,
find, and rate templates.

Bliss November 4, 2013 at 7:42 am

I found this website by accident and I love it.

I feel the same as the below

Alicia March 21, 2014 at 2:39 am

So I was in the shower feeling a bit down so I asked the universe to send me some love and about 2 mins later behind a shampoo bottle there was a little sponge in the shape of a heart. I’ve never bought it neither had anyone I lived with!

Michelle April 19, 2014 at 5:57 pm

I have been going through a very hard time for the past eight years. Everything I try to do has not worked out for me. A few months ago, I thought I will meditate and asked my guides. I asked, “What should I do now?” I saw in big black bold letters “Wait,” and then it followed my some numbers, the first number being a seven. Every time I do this I get the same answer, so I stop asking.
Is this a sign from the Universe, and when I ask a question out loud and get an answer in my head, is that the Universe or just me answering myself? LOL
I could really use some advice right now. Thank you