How to know it's your spirit guides and not just a crazy dream: spirit guide messages in dreams

How to know it’s your spirit guides and not just a crazy dream: spirit guide messages in dreams

by Lindsay on August 16, 2012

in Dreams, Spirit Guides

Dream journal kept close by

Have you ever had a “stranger” who felt familiar to you visit you in your dreams? Someone who feels like you know them but you can’t quite place how or maybe even feels like a best friend, but you haven’t a clue who they are in your waking life? If you have ever dreamt of this familiar “stranger,” this is most likely a spirit guide coming to you in your dreams.

A long-time reader shared her spirit guide dream visitation story with me:

During a very dark time in my life, I went to bed one night feeling distraught and alone. I eventually fell asleep and had one of the most vivid dreams I’ve ever had. In it, I was sitting on a school bus when I saw this older, plump, black woman sitting beside me. She gently put her arm around me and told me that everything would be okay. I remember waking up from the dream with tears streaming down my face.  I knew there was something different about the dream –it didn’t feel so much like a dream, but some other type of experience I’d never had before. I knew it was my spirit guide, because she provided me with such a sense of comfort, reassurance, and warmth that stayed with me even after I had woken.

Your spirit guides are always with you and will most likely reach out to contact you in your dreams. All you have to do is ask! In fact, chances are you’ve already had some contact with your guides in your dream life and just haven’t recognized it. Think back: what dreams with wise strangers have you had? What message did they carry?

Another reader shared a spirit guide dream visitation story with me. In that dream, she felt drawn to a woman who she later understood was her spirit guide. In the dream, the woman/guide encouraged her to get healthy (she had been sick), seek holistic healthcare and eat well. The best part is, this woman she was drawn to in the dream appeared not just in one dream, but in a subsequent dream, too. Further validation that this is a guide who is visiting her.

Try this exercise before going to bed to have a dream-time connection with your guides:

• Write a question in your dream journal or on a note pad that you’d like addressed.
  • Read the question aloud before going to bed
  • Leave your dream journal or notepad next to your bed and set the intention that you meet your guides that night in your dreams.
  • Stay open – your guide could present itself as an animal, bird or a human guide. It may also just come as a feeling you have throughout the dream and when you wake.

My own experiences with my guides in dreams vary. But the ones that stick with me the most are the ones where they come with messages of reassurance. Love. Positivity. Guidance. I’m always left with a good feeling, a feeling of being comforted and loved.

If you haven’t connected with your guides or simply want another perspective (I might get something you miss, for example, or your guides might tell me in a different way), I do spirit guide readingsVisit the spirit guide readings page for more info.

PS – I’ve put together a guided meditation to help you meet your spirit guides. Please visit my Daily Awe Shop to download the meditation. Let me know what you get!

Have you ever met a guide in your dreams? What was it like? Share your experiences here with us!

Julie Barrett August 16, 2012 at 10:37 am

The dreams that stick with my as otherwordly are the ones where I am visited by family members. I can’t think of one where my spirit guides have come through, but OTOH I have had insomnia for so many years I rarely remember my dreams anymore. I can say I have been aware of times when I was getting “messages” or “worked on” during dreamtime and that quality of feeling stayed with me until morning. Funny we both posted about dreams today :)

Jennifer Flint Designs August 16, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I do have a special spirit guide who sometimes comes through in dreams, although rarely, as he has other ways of communicating. I also have dreams ABOUT him, but somehow I can always tell the difference, because he looks different, and the ones that are actually FROM him feel much more vivid and real. It’s pretty obvious. :)

Cheyenne August 16, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I had a crazy dream once. I was dating someone who was an absolute mess, mentally and spiritually, and I’ve always thought it was God himself who came to me but maybe it was a guide. In my dream I was standing and all around me were big white clouds. I was not scared and it was a peaceful feeling. I heard a voice and I knew the info was for my boyfriend even tho it didn’t say his name. It told me the secret for my bf to find his happiness in life. The feeling and dream were amazing because I knew it was special. I did relay the message but he never applied it to his life…I wish I could have more dreams like that with answers to my questions :)

Ricardo August 17, 2012 at 3:06 pm

My spiritual guides come to me in dreams and I can always tell, because I wake up from them in a sweat, my heart racing, and the absolute conviction that that dream was not common. I have had premonitions, some of them very symbolic, of both good and bad events awaiting. The bad events and the good were incredibly intense, punctual, precise, and determinant, and yet for some reason I established this kind of contact with the spiritual world later in life, it wasn’t there always. I will share just two of the good ones: In 2000 I was surviving a miserable relationship with someone whom, however, I loved dearly. I had a dream of this person playing hide and seek in a field of lilies, until the lilies were so thick that I started to rejoice in them thoroughly and forgot about that person, soon to be in my past. Turns out that six months after I met the cause of the rain of lilies, it was my soulmate, and a relationship so worth, through which my life has been bathed, almost literally, in a shower of lilies.
In 2005 I was taking a nap at my mom’s house in Argentina. At the time I had left the US reluctantly, sorrowfully, and with lots of hesitation and doubts applied for Canada’s immigration. Jesus himself appeared in my dream, stating ‘… this is all for you…’, curtains lifted, letting me see a vision of lakes and forests. In 2007, while hiking the Truck and Tower’s trail at Algonquin Park (which I had decided to do in the last second since it was 5:30 pm and the whole trail takes average 4 hours), Ontario, I arrived through the woods to this elevated cliffs which seemed to promise a magnificent view, magnificent indeed: It was the very same vision I saw in my dream back in 2005, to me smallest detail. I fell on my knees and kissed the ground. It was a glorious moment in which I felt the basic goodness that pervades the universe, and the continuity of life and love through the crevices of eternity. Not saying that Jesus, personally is my spiritual guide, but I feel honoured He manifested lie this:-)

Nesa K. August 18, 2012 at 6:01 am

I believe I’ve had an encounter with my spiritual guide(s). This happened right after my spiritual “awakening” earlier this year. Being more attuned to the upper realms , I sensed I was not alone and that I was being gently guided via synchronous events and gut feelings to leave my spouse and change my career to one better suited to my core being.

One night while lying in bed, I asked for a sign to confirm that I had not “lost it”. For some reason,  I asked specifically to see about a person from my past, which I had been dreaming about for months. Immediately after losing conscience i was spirited away to a greenish-blue tinted realm. The person in question was suddenly standing before me holding his little boy. He showed him to me all the while beaming with pride and  love. His feelings were so strong – he seemed to radiate them…I felt what he was feeling, as if this were my son too. For a while, time stood still,  as if in a trance, but suddenly I had knowledge of what was happening and became afraid. I was instantaneously sucked back into my bedroom. Upon waking I discovered that I was still filled with, or basking in, those lovely emotions I had experienced in my dreamlike state, but I thought it was merely a dream concocted by my imagination, so I dissmissed the experience.

The next night while in bed i again asked for a sign. I asked in prayer to the universe to meet my spirit guide. After falling asleep, I immediately “awoke” to another state of consciousness. Sounds strange but that is the best way for me to idescribe this. This time I did not leave to go anywhere. A window to some other world appeared before me instead. I saw into this room with no ceiling. It seemed to be made of clouds and had no furniture in it. In this room were a group of women very similar looking to one another – like clones. They surrounded me in a u shaped pattern with one of them occupying the center and seemed to be of a race of people unlike any Ive seen before, yet undeniably human. The closest approximation I can come up with is that they looked similar to Native American Indians or Egyptians with very coppery brown complexions and jet black hair.

They were dressed in somewhat regal attire and all looked upon me, smiling gently. They seemed to be waiting…I sensed that the woman at the center was the main…guide person. Her demeanor was of immense wisdom, calm, and nurturing. She nodded to me as my mind tried to grasp all of this. I was very captivated by her gaze and sensed a familiarity to myself there. I felt as if I were looking at a representation of my self, or an aspect of me. I also had a feeling of being at home as with family. Well, I again became afraid once reality poked through and I awoke suddenly.

I woke up feeling the presence of several “beings” even stronger than before, and they seemed to speak to me through my thoughts. I would pose a question in my mind and an answer or suggestion would materialize out of thin air. My daily life became filled with a wisdom, clarity, and confidence that I felt I had not earned. This continued for a few weeks.  Out of concern for my sanity, I shunned all experiences of a spiritual nature. I was so very unhappy with my life and experiencing crisis after crisis at the time. I convinced myself that those experiences were completely the projection of my subconscious.

But several months later, i used facebook to contact the person from my past. I had not seen or heard of him in almost a decade. It turns out he does have a son who has the exact characteristics of the child in my dream – same age, hair and eye color, lips, etc.  The guy also looked the same as in my dream, balding and heavy set, having aged quite a bit since I last saw him. This reaffirmed my beliefs in the nature of reality and that we truly are spiritual beings having a coporeal existence. It also served as the last domino in the events that set into motion this process of my personal evolution.

Since then I have asked to be in contact with my guide(s)  unsuccessfully, but I believe that they are always with me regardless. I think that was the whole reason behind them showing in the first place – so that I would know that I am never alone.

Lynn August 25, 2012 at 11:00 am

I don’t think there’s been a recurring character in my dreams. I did have a lucid dream last week that included a character from a television show I like to watch. In the dream, he and I were laughing like old friends. (which we aren’t in my waking life btw) Do spirit guides ever appear in familiar forms? Do spirit guides visit your lucid dreams? Do spirit guides change appearance?

Megan August 27, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Following a meeting I had with a medium who asked me if I was a medium mySelf as she could see spirits trying to contact me on behalf of others, I started to practice Spiritualism and have since became more and more aware of spirits around me. Sometimes they come to me in my dreams and others when I may be doing anything from taking a bath to doing shopping, they don’t always come at the most convenient times. I have started becoming more and more interested in spirit guides, and I am now learning how to speak to others spirit guides, I lately have been experiencing a tall figure of a man, normally when I have just fallen asleep he will come to me, stands beside me then dissapears without saying anything, upon seeing the man I feel awake and as though someone has pushed or nudges me to wake up, after this I will go back to sleep and the same thing will happen another three times the same night, it disturbs my sleep and it’s frustrating not being able to talk to him, and the fact he won’t talk to me, just stands looking at me. Has anyone else had a similiar experience?

Lauren April 15, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Last night I was solidly asleep dreaming about something totally non-related, when all of a sudden I just opened my eyes and saw a man (late 30′s possibly) dressed in all white standing on the other side the bed near my husband. It was almost if in mid-dream I felt as if someone was ‘watching’ me and I woke up instantly. The look on his face was almost that of surprise to see me awake looking at him, he then was gone in the blink of an eye. I have no idea if it was my spirit guide or my husbands, but I definately get the feeling he is a guide. It startled me obviously, but I don’t have a ‘bad’ feeling from the expirience. In the past year or so, my husband and I have gone through some very very difficult life altering expiriences, which is getting much better.. But I wonder why only now he chose to ‘present’ himself? Strange.. !

Amy September 5, 2013 at 8:10 pm

I just had a similar experience this morning – young guy, white shirt that I have never seen before. Touched my leg and spoke to me – I am not sure what this is.

Heather May 11, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I have had the same dream since i was 9 years old. In the dream I am walking on the beach looking out at the water. When I look ahead I see a beautiful Native American man coming toward me on a horse. When I start to run toward him he gets off the horse and comes to me. He hugs me and and then looks into my eyes before we turn to look out at the water. Although he looks right at me I have never remembered his face. I am never afraid only so happy that he finally found me… The dream was the same through my teens and twenties, and then I do not remember having it for awhile. About six months or so ago I had the dream again. This time however when he looked at me I could see his face very clearly. He looked into my eyes a long time and something changed. Not sure if it because I am older now, but I had an over powering feeling of love and recognition. This time the hug was fierce (in a good way), and felt like I had found who I was looking for, or maybe he found me I really don’t know. What I do know is that when I woke I was so happy and my heart fet like it would burst. I am a very scientific and spirtually minded person so I am not sure what these things mean. I did however, ask my priest if God shows you a person before you meet them so that you will know them when you see them again. To this day I am not sure why I asked, but I just have this feeling that we are supposed to find each other outside of the dream. I feel so crazy even talking about this, and after 30 years I would really love to hear someone elses take on my dream.

evan July 28, 2013 at 6:25 pm

im enjoying all of these dreams here.

i think yours is your spirit guide, and you are very in tune, do not feel crazy, i dont feel you will meet him in “life” but perhaps when you “die”, maybe this man was your true love or twin flame, very beautiful dream none the less. peace to you

Dreamer July 22, 2013 at 10:35 am

It’s strange, I believe I encountered two spiritual guides in human form in my dream last night
One was a woman, slender, black…I don’t remember her facial features or what she really looked like. The second was a man. Tall, slender in a tan trench coach who appeared to float down from the ceiling to talk to me.

I was drawn to both of them who at one point in the dream told me it was important for me to be aware of my wedding date they said was the day before the shooting. I responded yes I know I thought of that
(Almost sensing a national event, not personal that would give my wedding day a bad reference point)

I was busy in the dream searching for lost luggage at may have been a bus station when the woman approached. She took my hand and led me to a couch to sit and talk to me…but nothing was said we just sat there for a moment then she got up yo walk away through a crowd and made the comment about a November wedding.
I felt compelled to search them out for more advice.answers buy nothing.
I wanted to tell them I knew my mother was with me. She passed on1995 so this was strange. Also I have Been happily married for three years but I remember the female spirit specifically saying the month November…which is the month I married.

I didn’t feel scared but intrigued and wanted to be with them longer to talk about more but it was almost like they had a quick message and then had to go. But what message were they trying to give me?

I work in news so the shooting may have been something I remembered from the broadcast the night before???Not sure, it did make me feel like I am being protected.

When I woke up I was bleeding. Like a menstrual bleed which is also weird because I rarely have periods anymore because of my mirena BC.

Any suggestions on what this all means? Did i meet my spirit guides, guardian angels?I am way out of my league here.

evan July 28, 2013 at 6:37 pm

my girl broke up with me after 5 years, it was on its way for a while because i held insecurities that i needed her to nourish and help me heal, but she was so quiet, and abruptly told me to leave. i am still heart broken, but getting better, i am very spiritual. and very into divine law and the things happening behind the scenes in the world. btw the pope is the head of the world, papal bulls 1484, unrebutted to this day, little known fact. the new pope just issued an apostolic letter holding all persons liable without immunity effective sept. 1st. weve been working and waiting for major world changes for so long. so thats the very brief background.

ive had alot of dream/premonitions come true, some BIG ones just recently, regarding the breakup being needed and on track.

so the other night i got a text from my ex saying yes its over, and i was deep in thought of letting go and whats next, and i asked my spirit guides to contact me in my dreams, that night all i remember dream wise was a very loud text from my ex, saying – 38 days! i dont feel it was from her higher self, i think it was my spirit guide telling me dont worry so much about her now, i added up the days and it comes to aug 31, the day before sept.1, the day the popes letter is effective. i think we are on the verge of major global change, and that has been my path for 4 years now, something that my ex understood but became bitter about from seeing little results.

i appreciate all of these wonderful posts here, and i have to say they are similar to my experiences, i think if you have a very pressing issue on your mind, and you ask for guidance, you shall receive. peace to all of you

Rachel August 3, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I was glad to find this article. I believe I’ve had connections with spirit guides during dreams in the past, but last night was something different. In a part of my dream, a group of us were sitting, waiting in a monastery type building. At one point, I got up to wander around and while I walked, I felt like I was being pulled by a force into one or two of the rooms. When I connected this to energies, I realized some were positive and some were negative. I felt scared and went to go speak with the old lady who ran the group/ event. She told me that she didn’t realized initially that I had become spiritual. She sat me down and told me not to be afraid and to embrace it. She said there are three types of energies: 1. Negative 2. Positive and 3. Your Own. Don’t be nervous to explore them; they can’t hurt you. Be brave and use the gift you have.

sara brady December 15, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I have had same dream for 4 years..a indian man un my doorway..looking straight at me..i run to him and jump into his arms and he embraces me and he smiles..never speaks to me..just smiles..

Andrea March 17, 2014 at 10:43 pm

I had a dream where I was taking a test with the rest of a class in what looked like an old church. It was very dim and dusty looking. We were all wearing clothes from “back in the day”, like a long off white nightgown with sleeves. I was in the middle of taking this test when I am taken aside by an older woman, also dressed in the same kind of outfit. Telepathically she tells me that she wants to “see what I know” and she touches my hand. At that very moment I felt and saw a blue electric current pulsing through my body. I didn’t fear it. I just sank back into the pew. I remember her being very impressed. Then I woke up. This dream was months ago and to this day I remember it very clearly. Can someone please help me with this? I can’t find anything similar online. The electric current felt so real. Thank you.