What do you suck at?

What do you suck at?

by Lindsay on August 9, 2012

in Attitude, Inspiration, Personal Growth

What do you suck at?

Last year, I wrote an article inspired by Danielle LaPorte about figuring out what we’re excellent at – what fires us up, what we naturally rock at  – our genius. What’s Your Genius?

A couple of weeks ago Danielle published “What do you suck at?“.  Just like we’re all awesome at some things, we all suck at stuff, too. That doesn’t mean we suck as people, but we can’t be good at everything. Danielle says:

When you cop to your shortcomings some wonderful things can happen. You become more accessible to the people around you, you invite other people to step up and shine, and you create space for support to come into your life — you actually don’t have to be awesome at everything. Go figure. Mostly, when you approve of your weaknesses, you give yourself permission to pursue your genius.

Things I suck at (in no particular order):

Math: One look at numbers and I freeze. I think my math comprehension stopped in or around 4th grade. I started really hating math around the 7th grade mark. But that might’ve had to do more with the fact that the substitute teacher we had smelled like hot dogs and a jack-ass jock used to pull me around by my ponytail in math class.

Cooking: You know how some people talk about how cooking and being in the kitchen is therapeutic? And you know how some people love throwing dinner parties and feel so pleased when they feed a group of friends/family? Yeah, I have no idea what that feels like. Being in the kitchen does the opposite to me: it stresses me out and I just pretty much hate it. I’ve tried everything: cooking with others, getting “creative” (adding salt when the recipe calls for pepper, for instance) and trying to find my “specialty”. Turns out my speciality is just doing the dishes after someone else has cooked. I can follow a recipe, but that doesn’t mean what I made will actually taste like it should.

Speaking up in work meetings: As an introvert, I do best when I’m given a question and have time to process it/think it through on my own and then share my ideas. I suck in meetings where everyone is brainstorming, speaking loudly (and sometimes over each other) and speaking every word that comes into their brains. Just not my thing. In the work environment, this often makes me look like I don’t have ideas or that I’m no good (especially working in Marketing & Communications) and that blows.

Giving directions: If you approach me on the street and ask me where such-and-such is and I tell you to make a left, please do yourself a favor and make a right. I am equally bad at reading maps.

Drawing (or almost anything artistic apart from writing): As with my math abilities, my rudimentary drawing ability appears to have halted at the elementary school level. Even my 5-year-old niece can draw a better stick figure than me.

Small talk: To me, it feels fake. And as a result, awkward. I loathe exchanging false “niceties” when there’s nothing else to talk about. That’s the introverted side of me. Let’s have a conversation that means something to us, or let’s not have a conversation at all.

Anything requiring eye/foot coordination: soccer, dancing (oh, lord)…anything that requires me to be fancy on my feet is going to equal a big, fat fail for me. And I’m learning to be okay with that.

The point of this exercise is to demonstrate the things that bother us, the things that make us feel “less than”, can actually help us pinpoint where our true strength lies.I might suck at those I listed above, but I’m pretty good at a lot of other things. Other people can be good at what I suck at – diversity is what makes the world go ’round!

When we put our weaknesses in plain language and clear view, we can see where we need to become more conscious, and how our so-called “shortcomings” point to our true strengths.

What do you suck at? Share some of your weaknesses with us here in the comments!

If you like what you read here – subscribe to The Daily Awe. Be sure to spread the love and share the article with friends/family/your neighbors/coworkers, too. I really appreciate it!

Julie Barrett August 9, 2012 at 7:37 am

Hmmm…the list is long! Fixing computers. Running more than 1/2 a block (and sports in general). Home repair. Using a drill. Dealing with overbearing, pushy people. Office politics. Physics. Cutting hair. Getting my eyebrows even. Cosmetics application in general.

Lindsay August 9, 2012 at 7:52 am

LOL I suck at office politics, too. Hard core. It’s just bullshit and I can see right through all the egos & fakeness. I guess I suck at most of those things you listed, too! Yay me! 😉

Anne August 9, 2012 at 9:02 am

Small talk. Diplomacy. (I call it like I see it-and that upsets so many!) cleaning house. Patience. Math( fourth grade did me in!!) shopping (unless it’s in a bookstore). Team sports. Crochet. Knitting. Sewing. Playing piano or any instrument-suck, suck, suck!! Can’t drive a motorcycle. Or a standard shift. Lordy! Enough!

Heather August 9, 2012 at 10:18 am

Where do I start? Well, I can definitely relate to a couple on your list, the first one being Math…I’m so glad that my husband is really good at math and can help our boys with it because I certainly won’t be able to. I honestly think my 6 year old understands math way more than I do…he’s already doing square roots, whatever they are.

Small talk is just awkward and I realize that a lot of people do it because they don’t like the silence and probably feel awkward about that…but me? I’ll take that silence any day.

Directions!! That’s a good one, I can not give directions either. And even if I’ve been to a certain place before that does not guarantee that I remember how to get there! I like my GPS.

Haley Steinhardt August 9, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Wow. Awesome post. I really like the sentiment expressed in the quote you shared, too… giving others a chance to shine… approving of one’s own weakness… though… I don’t know if I feel able enough to APPROVE of my weakness! I more want to roll my eyes at it and and give it a condescending pat on the head. 😛

Here goes…

1. Being patient — I’ve gotten a LOT better at this one this past year by sheer force of necessity, but it is soooo not my nature. Hurry up, dammit!!!!!

2. Not interrupting people — …or as I call it, “talking.” Those people in the meeting that speak every thought in their head on top of one another? Yeah. They’re me. Working on this one, too. Constantly. People tell me I can’t listen and talk at the same time, but in my house growing up, we did. We just did. I secretly take great pleasure in one-on-one conversation with other “ecstatic speakers,” where we both interrupt each other and talk and listen at the same time until it forms a sort of rhythmic wave of communication between us. Beautiful! It never really does work to be one of us in a group setting, though:( Womp wommmmmp.

3. Sports. Period.

Wheeee! That was liberating! 😉

Thanks!

-H-

Lindsay August 12, 2012 at 8:01 am

LOL @ Sports. Period. I am just imagining a family get together of yours and smiling! I wonder how I’d fare in a group setting like you’re describing! I’d love to watch and find out!

Being patient – I’m right there with you on that! I have alllll the patience in the world for animals and children. But when it comes to wanting something, no way.

Ricardo August 10, 2012 at 12:34 am

I suck at resignation (such as is the case that I NEVER resigned to Maths in spite that they were so hard to get…), I suck at tolerance beyond very narrow margins, I suck at always feelings that my inner voice is rightER and as consequence, feeling that the world is wrong. Regrettably that means that I judge a lot, and I find most people deficient. Luckily I have a compassionate heart, so it is my obsession to heal and relief pain -so I keep my hardcore energy for those bullies who are inducing pain to this world.

I think your “sucks” are cute; if you don’t cook, you should figure out something soon cause you will need good food in industrial amounts LOL!!!

Lindsay August 12, 2012 at 8:02 am

It’s a good thing to suck at resignation! That means you never give up!

And yeah – I better find out how to love cooking VERY quickly! My mom used to always say she practically lived in the kitchen when we were growing up, so I better get used to it!

MK August 10, 2012 at 10:02 am

I suck at relationships. I am 40 and still single…I seem to love too much and the men I am involved with aren’t ready for it! I have a wonderful life, friends, and family but I have so much love to give!

Lindsay August 12, 2012 at 8:00 am

Awww! You probably don’t suck at relationships, but maybe picking the right man! But here’s the thing I truly believe: you go through each of those relationships to learn something (or lots of things). And you’ll find someone who’s ready to receive your love and give it back tenfold when it’s time. <3

Dylan Lin Calista August 10, 2012 at 12:53 pm

I suck at…

Class aerobics – I feel awkward doing all that shit in front a huge mirror where everyone can see you. Ask for a lap dance, one on one, throw me a half pint of vodka and I’ll probably do a better job, lol.

Being patient with my Dad – he drives me insane…ON PURPOSE.

Microsoft Excel – I hate it spreadsheets. I call them spread shits. – Too many darn formulas but unfortunately, I have to use them every once in a while.

Riding bikes – the irony in this is, I can ride a motorcycle and not a bike. Somehow my nervousness in coordinating my hands and feet makes my body go into temporary paralysis and that just does it for me. My cousins thought it would be good practice to push me down a hill whilst on a bike but that did NOT work out. At all.

Lisa | Practically Intuitive August 10, 2012 at 9:24 pm

The more I know of you, the more I know we are the same person (except I’m older, fatter, not pregnant and generally don’t live in Canada. Otherwise, the same!)

I also suck at math, cooking, directions, small talk and drawing. (I can dance, however.)

Love this post – and wish I didn’t suck at cleaning. I HATE IT. Hubs wishes I didn’t suck at it too.

Lindsay August 12, 2012 at 7:58 am

If I am half the wonderful person you are, then I am happy!! I admire you and look up to you and it makes me happy that we are so similar!! <3 Here's one difference we have: I love cleaning! LOVE! Well, actually....maybe not cleaning, but organizing. If you need your home organized, I'm your girl!

D'Arci Redditt August 11, 2012 at 1:23 am

Lindsay,

Another great article topic.

1) I suck at finding the energy to organize my own stuff, but I love to organize for others. Need your house cleaned? Papers organized? lol

2) I hate the repetitive sound of high pitched noises, loud talkers or anything that makes my nerves cringe. I’ve been like this since I was a kid. I work at relaxing more.

3) I suck at returning phone calls timely (work calls). I work in a very emotionally draining field. I think, “I’ll do it tomorrow.”

4) I don’t like large social situations at all. Introvert at heart.

5) I don’t “let things go” nearly as often as I should; I’m stubborn.

Lindsay August 12, 2012 at 7:56 am

Hi D’Arci!

I suck at returning phone calls – PERIOD. I get drained from being on the phone with most people and would prefer either face to face or email/text. I always think “I’ll call so and so back tomorrow”. LOL I guess we have that in common!

I’m “sound sensitive”, too. Mostly it’s loud talkers or loud crunching sounds. It’s a lot of work to “relax” when someone’s crunching carrots loudly in the office and talking with their big, booming voice! Ugh

Thanks for sharing what you suck at with me! 😉

Susan S. August 17, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Great post!! I totally suck at small talk. Can’t do it worth a damn. I suck at keeping our family bathroom clean because I hate it. Both hate the bathroom, and hate cleaning. I suck at gardening. Why agonize over trying to grow things that won’t grow here, only to have to pull all the weeds that do grow… too well? And when something does grow, either the slugs or the deer eat it down to the ground. Much easier to go to the local farmer’s markets.

Lindsay August 19, 2012 at 7:36 am

I lol’d at the family bathroom part. No one ever likes cleaning the bathroom, me included! I haven’t had a chance to grow a garden of my own, but I’d love to! But not if the deer are going to come after my goods! 😀

Lynn August 25, 2012 at 11:47 am

I created this list a couple months ago just out of the blue. I had a good idea of things I did well but other than what I’ve heard my husband or other family members joke about (whiners) I wasn’t really sure what my weaknessess truly were. I discovered the running mental list of my flaws was well, flawed. Things foremost in my mind, were much less problematic than some things I tend to forget. Synonyms plagued my list without my knowing it, distorted tendencies into raging problems and lengthened my list considerably. That being said- I suck at timely wishing or responding to Birthday Well Wishes to/from my Seven Seventeen Sister- thank you Lindsay!!!! Hope yours rocked too!!!