But I’m Unqualified: Why you’re probably making a huge mistake when it comes to getting what you want

by Lindsay on September 27, 2012

in Attitude, Inspiration, Personal Growth

Today’s post comes from AJ McClary from Open Psychic. I love AJ’s work and I think you will, too. You can read more about him after the article!

Can I tell you a secret? I think qualifications are overrated. They really are. I’ve known so many people who have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on their education. They spend their life savings and accumulate a ton of debt attaining graduate degrees and certifications because they believe it will help them in their career. But do they ever get a return on investment? Not as quickly as they usually think.

A lot of us who are part of the New Age community (and likely those who follow “The Daily Awe”) are life long scholars too, so this makes it very difficult for us to fully step into our path—relinquishing the “student” in us to become the “teacher”. I’ve noticed this trend where we take class after class and program after program and never fully stepping into our full potential because we feel that we’re not yet qualified.

This is the biggest copout I hear: “But I’m not qualified!” Here’s the deal, people don’t really hire you for your skills. At least not just for your skills. They can hire anybody they want and in a world of outsourcing, an abundant supply of talent, and loads of competition—if you market yourself based on your skills alone, you’re going to miss out on a lot of opportunities. The secret is that only employer’s want qualifications, customers don’t. Customers want transformation, they want you to deliver on your promises, and they want that “secret sauce” that only you can deliver to them.

It doesn’t only work this way in the metaphysical space. One of the things that I’m good at is evaluating the usability of websites. I really enjoy doing usability studies and helping companies make improvements on their products. As someone who has spent my entire adult life working for companies as an employee, I was shocked at how much easier it was being a contractor. I could work with Fortune 500 companies instantly with no background check, no drug tests, and no paperwork. It was as simple as sending an invoice and cashing the check. I realized rather quickly that when people have a problem and you can fix it, they would work relentlessly to find someone to help resolve that problem.

So here is my advice, if you are able to solve someone’s problem or relieve someone’s pain, you are qualified! To take it a step further, if you knew you could make a difference, could you consider for a moment that by not taking action, you’re stealing from the Universe the opportunity for them to resolve it because you were the perfect fit for them? Who cares if one of your competitors has a Master’s degree, 19 certifications, or a celebrity client—people don’t hire you for that alone.

So here is my question for the community: Do you ever feel that you’re unqualified? How can you relate to this situation?

AJ lives in Leesburg, Virginia—right outside of Washington, DC. He utilizes a variety of skills to help you answer your questions and help you to get to know yourself on a soul level. He uses aura reading, your astrological chart, and the Akashic Records to learn more about your soul level gifts and challenges. He also channels your Spirit Guides to provide assistance. You can learn more about AJ at http://www.openpsychic.com/

kdivasilver September 27, 2012 at 10:17 am

“Customers want transformation, they want you to deliver on your promises, and they want that “secret sauce” that only you can deliver to them.”

Love this. I’m transitioning to a new field that I’ve been interested in and partially knowledgeable about for years, but now am working to get the background to back up what I know. I looked for a Master’s program that included what I want (integrating nutrition and behavioral change with alternative approaches to improve health but not focused on research studies!) and it just isn’t there, so I’m doing it my way–learning and doing. And using my instincts for each person and situation.

Lindsay September 30, 2012 at 7:28 pm

That sounds like an AWESOME field to get into. I’d love to be able to follow your journey as you learn and start to take on clients! You should consider blogging it if you don’t already. :)

Lisa | Practically Intuitive September 27, 2012 at 10:19 am

SO SO SO true! Holy Cow – if we all just opened up to the idea that we have so much of what we need and can offer others right now, right within us, the world truly would be a better place.

Thanks AJ and Lindsay for sharing this with a larger audience. I’d love to see more discussion of this (rogue!) idea because it’s so empowering to others.

Lindsay September 30, 2012 at 7:28 pm

It really is so empowering, isn’t it? Especially in the intuitive arts – practice makes perfect, not reading and reading and reading and reading some more.

Lindsay September 30, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Well, not “perfect”. You know what I mean!

Jennifer Flint September 27, 2012 at 10:34 am

I used to think that way, but not so much anymore, now that I’ve done quite a number of successful aura readings online. Confidence comes with practice, but you have to get started doing SOMETHING in order to get that practice. That requires a little leap of faith at some point.

I recommend trying any new skill out safely with family and friends who are likely to be encouraging and non-judgmental. Can’t go wrong there! Thanks for a great article, AJ! :)

Lindsay September 30, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I’m super duper excited for my aura reading from you, Jennifer! You are right that confidence comes with practice. That’s how I got to feeling about readings. I used to be SO unsure, but as I practiced on my lovely guinea pigs, I realized that’s the best way to learn!

AJ | OpenPsychic September 27, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Wow! Thank you so much Lindsay for letting me guest post!

@kdivasilver It’s so true! You can do it. Here is what I’ve discovered: You can only start from where you are currently. So many people want to “wait” until they have more education, have more money, or for when they are “ready”. Sometimes you’ve gotta start before you’re ready and just do it. :)

@Lisa We are perfect who we are right now—isn’t that amazing? It’s like Lady Gaga says “Rejoice and love yourself today, ’cause baby, you were born this way”. The only time for action is in the present moment.

@Jennifer You know, there are so many people who think they need to take $10K worth of courses before they’re worthy of charging for their services. Like you said, just start practicing.

Julie | A Clear Sign September 27, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Hi AJ and Lindsay,

That’s funny! I frequently get the question about what new class, certification, or course to take, and when I tell them,”You already have everything you need,” they RESIST. They will not let that sucker go. So I have to ask,”What scares you about just starting today with what you are right now?” or,”What exactly do you think this new certification is going to bring to your clients that you cannot already bring them?” Silence. Killer.

Sometimes they come back in a year and ask the same exact question. You know what their guides say? “You already have everything you need.”

AJ | OpenPsychic September 27, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Thanks so much @Julie!

You have a uniqueness about you that nobody else has—that’s why they come to you. That’s how I like to look at it. :)

Lindsay September 30, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Well, believing that we already have everything we need is just a damn hard thing to swallow! ESpecially since we humans seem to be on a never-ending quest to bettering ourselves or wanting more, feeling the insatiable urge to always work on self improvement, etc…But you’re right: we DO have everything we already need. Part of the journey is figuring that out and believing it!

Karly September 27, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I definitely see where you are coming from with this article. I do wish that more people could see it your way instead of the traditional way and put a little more emphasis on the actual person. There are many people in my field who have degrees and should not be doing what they’re doing, period. It’s just not the right career for them. There are many people who I personally know would be great in said field (who do not have any degrees), but unfortunately, it is something you must have. I personally chose to go to school for a Master’s because in this field it carries more consideration than an Associate’s or Bachelor’s, however every career field is different.

AJ | OpenPsychic September 27, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Karly, I totally agree. I have met so many people who are very well “qualified” but are terrible at their job. I think it’s because—at least here in western culture—we’re not encouraged to follow our gifts.

I know this one guy who is a very accomplished computer programmer that never even graduated high school. He charges $200 an hour and is well known here in Washington, DC as the best of the best (people seek him out when they need an expert). If you want to work at a Fortune 500 company, you have to have a Computer Science degree—not for him, he’s the exception because he’s just awesome.

I know another guy who has a Master’s in Computer Science and 20 years of experience and is not very good at all.

Education and experience really are overrated. If you can eliminate someone’s pain or get them exactly where they need to be—people will pay top dollar for it.

Lindsay September 30, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Hi Karly,

You’re right – every career field is different. Some jobs require a degree or higher education and that’s absolutely imperative in order for the jobs to be carried out properly! I think degrees and studying is a wonderful thing (I’m a lifelong student & proud of it!). there just comes a time when we need to apply what we’ve learned and get our feet wet, no matter how scary!

Tatiana September 27, 2012 at 3:31 pm

This is really interesting because I disagree.

Barring the fact that many professions require certificates and higher degrees in order to be legitimate, I think there’s something MUCH to be gained from taking a certificate class or what have you. The thing is that institutionalize learning (versus relying solely on your personal experience) can expose you to more than you would get in your day to day life. It teaches you how to work with people, and generally helps you attain new skills. Personal (and professional) development is fantastic because you learn from people who are matured and already made all the same mistakes so that you don’t have to.

And even with intuitive work, I look to see if they have any certificates, took any courses or classes or worked under a mentor. I prefer this, and am less drawn to people are who new to intuitive work but haven’t taken the time to practice under anyone. Even with tarot – I like the idea of working with tarot readers who are certified or are part of a well-known organization.

When it comes to soft skills (which I think intuitive work falls under), there’s nothing tangible about it. And to spend so much money to have someone read me with no guarantee that at least they learned from someone (even if it was a book) is unnerving. And I’ve had readings done by people who didn’t have any psychic training, and they weren’t very good. Another reason I search for credentials.

That’s not to say that everyone with credentials is awesome and aligns with me, but it’s better than nothing and definitely legitimatizes their work for me. Because if you’re willing to invest in that kind of training, then I feel like you’re taking your work much more seriously.

AJ | OpenPsychic September 27, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Tatiana, I can see your point too. I my point was that we shouldn’t use it has an excuse to sit around and do nothing.

I love your perspective though. I’ve studied with Slade Roberson, Anna Conlan, @Lisa Wechtenhiser (on the thread), Susan Taylor Shier and others and I don’t advertise that at all. Maybe I should consider that!

Lindsay September 30, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Tatiana thank you so much for sharing your opinion on this! I completely see and understand your point. I wouldn’t want a surgeon who hadn’t gone to medical school to perform surgery on me! That being said, I wouldn’t want to be his first patient, either, if that makes sense. I want someone who has practiced and applied all that learning. I think a chronic issue ‘lightworkers’ have is that we learn, learn, learn and sometimes get stuck in that cycle instead of applying the knowledge we’ve absorbed and using it for fear of this, that and the other thing.

AJ | OpenPsychic October 1, 2012 at 5:47 am

Lindsay, isn’t that the truth! I have taken so many classes in the last two years.

Dottie September 28, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I am one of those folks who got the masters degree in a counseling field. I have been in the field many years. I appreciate what I have learned from school and from continuing education opportunities, but I absolutely agree that knowledge is not the same as doing. As a supervisor I have seen folks who were constantly seeking certification out of their insecurity about their work. I think the hope is that with the next certification they will finally have the answer. I think my most powerful work happens when I am willing to not know, but rather sit still with another, be present and together discover the truth they need in that moment. My education has been helpful, openned some doors, but my connection to my own intuition and my willingness to share from my inner being is the most valuable tool I have ever had.

Lindsay September 30, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Dottie – yes! This! What you said! You hit the nail on the head. And you’re right – our intuition is the most valuable tool we’ll ever have. There comes a time when we need to listen to it and leap. :)

AJ | OpenPsychic October 1, 2012 at 5:49 am

Dottie, that is so true. I do think it can sometimes be able insecurity and it’s so sad.

Dylan Lin Calista October 2, 2012 at 6:28 am

Wow. Well, this is interesting.

I’ve been MIA lately because I’ve actually started work at a new Company…as an Operations Manager.

And…I have to say…I used to think that I wasn’t ‘qualified’ enough because I’m in my 20s, I don’t have my degree yet…I work full time and study part time.

Because of this, I always felt like there are other people so much more better suited than I am. I was wrong.

I learned how to ‘will’ things and change my belief system and sure enough, I landed the job I have now. It pays well, although it is quite stressful at times, but what job isn’t.

And the interesting part of all of this is, I didn’t apply for a job. I wasn’t looking at the time. I met someone and we talked business and he happened to be the CEO of a company. He then asked me if I wanted to join his Company, without even looking at my CV.

It just happened. Sometimes, I look back at this whole thing and think, WOW. This is just amazing. It’s been 2 1/2 weeks and I still feel like I’m caught in between a dream like state and reality.

Kara October 2, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Great post! I was hung up on getting “qualified” for a long time, until I finally felt confident enough doing my intuitive thing, and felt like I helped enough people, that my qualifications didn’t seem relevant anymore.

I think where I struggled was not valuing what it actually IS that I do for people, I felt like I didn’t have a “superpower”. It took awhile for me to realize that talking to folks, and walking through their readings with them IS healing, since that is what therapy and counselling is based on.

That might be a benefit of taking formal instruction, is that you feel confident you can do a certain thing (eg. healing modality, clearing, etc.)

I think once you reach a certain level of confidence in your skills, and people keep coming to you, qualifications become less important.

Kara

Kasey Parker April 27, 2013 at 6:00 pm

“I realized rather quickly that when people have a problem and you can fix it, they would work relentlessly to find someone to help resolve that problem.”

This is so true! Thanks for a great and really insightful article. I’m just at the very beginning of exploring my spiritual path and taking steps to connect with my spirit guides.
This article resonated with me. I have gained a number of skills but also spent a lot of time and money gaining them. I now need to use them to help others achieve their goals and solve their problems.

torrential definition January 20, 2014 at 2:43 am

In July, 1887, a software was heard inside the Clermont Warden’s
Court to get a reef claim 200 yards west of Hurley’s Dam, as well as
the ‘Telegram’ states:. Have you played any gigs about,
any house parties, any school dances. Finding the Venus reef abandoned he went to the Four
Mile, two miles distant, and located about fourteen Chinamen camped there.

Dolores February 17, 2014 at 10:33 am

This allows the person to have the power to look for a video file, music file, application file or each of the above.

Whether you utilize it in your own home, in class or at the office Ubuntu contains every one of the

applications you’ll ever need, from word processing

and email applications, to web server software and programming tools.

And while you cannot customize the past, we’ve got the power

to change our attitude about it, hence the way ultimately affects us.

Quest Bars February 8, 2016 at 10:10 am

Admiring the dedication you put into your blog and in depth information you present.

It’s awesome to come across a blog every once in a
while that isn’t the same outdated rehashed information.
Great read! I’ve bookmarked your site and I’m including your RSS feeds to