Seasonal and energetic changes - Celebrating Autumnal Equinox

Ways to celebrate the Autumnal Equinox without feeling like a hippy

by Lindsay on September 20, 2012

in Environment, Inspiration

We can all feel it, can’t we? Tomorrow marks the Fall Equinox. Summer is officially over. Weather patterns will shift and along with that, our energies shift, too.

Fall has always been one of my favorite seasons – the sound of crispy leaves under your feet, the scent of those leaves in the air, carving pumpkins (my favorite!), breaking, layering clothes, apple picking and winding the clocks forward.

Something about this season feels more like a New Year to me than January does. Does anyone else feel that?

The word equinox means “equal night”: the duration of the day being equal to that of the night – an event which occurs but twice a year. One marking the astrological beginning of spring and the other the ending of summer.

Pagans call the Autumn Equinox Mabon – a time to honor the changing seasons and celebrate the harvest. In Pagan tradition, it is a time of giving thanks for what we have and what we have been blessed with. I am not Pagan myself, but whether you’re Pagan or a New Age Hippy, Catholic, Mormon or Jewish or none of the above, that sounds like a good idea, doesn’t it?

5 ways to celebrate the Autumnal Equinox –

Count your blessings: Sit down and make a gratitude list.  An attitude of gratefulness helps bring more abundance our way. It’s true: the more we focus on the positive and what we DO have, the more positive our lives become and more abundance comes our way. Make a list of all the things in your life for which you’re grateful. When I do this, I’m reminded of how blessed I am, even on my worst days.

Find balance: At the equinox, there are an equal number of hours of darkness and light. This natural balance reminds us of the importance of balance in our every day lives. Take the time to really think about the areas in which your life is out of balance: are you spending too much time at work? Not spending enough time with your family? Worrying too much? Whatever it is, take note of it. Acknowledge the imbalance and make the commitment for a more healthy, balanced life.

Honor the darkness: The long nights of winter are encroaching upon us. Days become shorter. It’s hard to remember when we’ve got cabin fever something awful but: without darkness, there is no light. Stop rolling your eyes at me! Now would be a good time to meditate on the darker elements of yourself. Things you’d really like to focus on and improve in yourself. Light a candle, meditate and set a couple of new Fall & Winter self improvement goals.

Each new season brings with it the promise of new beginnings. So, who’s with me?

Get out in nature: Gone are the days of unbearable summer heat. And too soon are the days of the snow falling. Now is the time to get out and enjoy Nature one last time before Winter drives us indoors (unless you’re the snow-loving, hockey-playing type or the ‘I live in Florida’ type!). The nights are now crisp and cool – perfect for a long walk.

The leaves are changing color – get out and enjoy the sights and scents while they last. Go to the pumpkin patch and find that perfect one to carve. Pick apples and come home and make homemade applesauce.If I can do this one, you can too!

Be charitable: As the colder weather becomes a reality, so does the reality that some people do not have the means to buy winter coats and clothing. Raid your closets and donate your lightly used winter clothing and jackets you no longer use, if you are able. While you’re at it – donate some foods to a local food drive. Not only will you be lending a hand to those who need it, but you’ll be cleaning your closets and opening up space in your home and life for new.

A change in seasons is a perfect time to get an Intuitive Reading. If you’ve been on the fence about getting a reading, I’d love to work with you to start this season off fresh & new with some messages from your Spirit team!

Fall is my favorite season. What’s yours and why? How do you celebrate the seasonal changes?

Anne September 20, 2012 at 10:38 am

L:

Read that header and threw my head back laughing out loud! What? No Stevie Nicks clothes coming out of the closet? (oh, wait. She’s the witchy woman, not a hippy. So, that still works… :)

Great idea about the gratitude list and all of these ideas. Fall is my favorite season. I was born in it. I live for those quiet mornings and the last crickets calling in the evening when the sun goes down.

This summer was a season of madness! I am ready for a slowdown and quiet. Thanks for the great ways to usher in the season. Going to make my list, because this year I need to remember all those things for which I am not only grateful but those that keep me alert, aware and alive.

Anne

Lindsay September 21, 2012 at 9:55 am

I thought the title was pretty funny too, but I’ve been known to laugh at my own jokes a little more than I probably should!

I need to practice what I preach and write up my gratitude list this weekend. We should share our lists!

Julie | A Clear Sign September 20, 2012 at 11:29 am

Halloween is my all-time favorite holiday, and in spite of the fact that I have summer all year round, I still always feel the energy shift this time of year. However when I come visit you in winter I will be screwed because I no longer own a jacket let alone a coat. Or anything else that does not involve flip flops, shorts and tshirts :)

Kathleen September 20, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Julie, I’ll give you one of my jackets–I have tons!

Julie | A Clear Sign September 21, 2012 at 5:17 am

Oh well, in that case…

Lindsay September 21, 2012 at 9:56 am

Halloween is my favorite, too…I wonder if those who are energetically sensitive tend to favor this over the other holidays? For one, there’s virtually no stress surrounding the holiday like there is others.

You’re welcome to borrow my clothes, jackets, scarves and boots when you come visit. :)

Kathleen September 20, 2012 at 11:45 am

Wow, this stirred up some things. I started writing a comment here but it was turning into a blog post, so I moved it over there (http://uncommonzone.wordpress.com/2012/09/20/236/). Your comments about balance really struck home, as did honoring the darkness. So thank you.

Lindsay September 21, 2012 at 9:56 am

Beautiful blog post Kathleen, thank you for sharing that. And I’m touched that this post inspired yours! <3

Karly September 20, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Fall has always been my favorite as well. The changing leaves, the cooler weather, and apples and pumpkins!

I forgot that tomorrow is actually the Equinox. I’ve been going through something this week that’s been emotionally exhausting on me. It has tested my patience, level of acceptance, and level of trust in someone close to me. Does the Solstice and Equinox usually bring these types of big events to people, or is it coincidence? (Not that I really believe in them anymore!) I like how you said that every season brings on new beginnings… that is exactly what is happening with said situation. I just have to breathe and try and get through it the best I can.

Happy Autumn, Lindsay!

Lindsay September 21, 2012 at 9:58 am

Happy Autumn, Karly! I’m going apple picking this weekend, funny you should mention apples!

My patience has really been tested these days too, but I didn’t associate it with the Equinox, but rather my pregnancy hormones. However, I think you might be on to something. The seasonal change offers us a chance to purge, learn and with it comes big life events.

Let’s both breathe together!

Heather September 20, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I don’t mind feeling like a hippy :)

I loved your list of ideas and ways to honor and celebrate the seasonal changes. I’m definitely going to read this list again and incorporate these suggestions into my daily life.

I’ve always been able to feel the seasonal changes slowly taking place and consciously made the connection between them and the way I was feeling about my life and how it was unfolding.

Fall is by far my favorite time of year. I love everything about it; the smell of the air – the earthiness of it, the wonderful colors of the leaves after they’ve changed into so many different colors, the sound of the wind blowing through the trees, trick or treating with the kids, pumpkins, apples, candles, decorated houses, I could go on…

Lindsay September 21, 2012 at 9:59 am

LOL Heather you know what? I FEEL like a hippy most days, so I’m right there with you. I often wonder if I *was* a hippy in my most recent past life. Apart from having hair legs & armpits, I pretty much fit the bill.

Ahhhh, I am especially looking forward to Fall with a little one. Pumpkin carving and dressing up will be especially fun.