Your soul's doppelgängers (kinda sorta): why relationships are mirrors

Your soul’s doppelgängers (kinda sorta): how relationships act as mirrors

by Lindsay on October 25, 2012

in Personal Growth, Relationships, Souls

It is said that we all have a doppelgänger out there somewhere in the world – someone who looks just like us, has similar hobbies and would be mistaken for our twin. Some folks have had the privilege of meeting their doppelgänger, but most of us don’t, and therefore have to settle for using mirrors to see our reflection in our eyes. There are more than just glass mirrors & doppelgängers to see our own reflection and learn about who and what we are, though.

All of life – every person you meet, every situation you encounter – offers you a mirror to see your own reflection on a soul level.

The reflection of your emotional life, what your soul yearns for, your deepest beliefs and patterns of being, your conscious and unconscious thoughts – all of these reflect back to you through the people who come into your life and the experiences you have.

And like we’ve discussed before here: Sometimes it is in the most challenging relationships and experiences that we grow the most.

When you meet someone who challenges you emotionally through their behavior and words — someone whose actions cause you to reflect on your feelings of anger, sadness, discouragement or rejection – you are being given an opportunity to look into the mirror of your soul. A part of you is present in the person you are dealing with. In some cases, the person you have attracted to you is here to show you the feelings about yourself and your life that you still need to understand or release in order to live more abundantly. You can only see what is already there within your own self, present on some level, conscious or not.

You know what? That’s a really freakin’ hard pill to swallow. Especially for someone as critical as me. I like to blame that on my Virgo moon & ascendent more than anything.

For example, if a friend annoys you with trivial habits, where is the judge in you that trivializes your own life? And on the flip side: do you stay open to the possibility that the casual stranger who smiled at you on the street and makes your morning more blessed is also the part of you that can bring that same gift of unsolicited joy to someone else?

If we live in the spiritual belief that we are all one and we are all connected then there is no doubt that each of us reflects something in another. The Universe acts as a big mirror of our inner reality by bringing it into our external world.

Your Soul and your spirit guides/team of angels are constantly providing you with opportunities to see yourself through the situations that you encounter or the drama in your life. When we live without awareness, we see these situations as just situations that happen to us – haphazard, perhaps coincidental moments that occur randomly in our lives. That is when we fall into the trap of blaming others — we become angry at the world, or try to reason through what went wrong or why something happened to us.

You’ve drawn these people and situations to yourself for your own higher good, your understanding and the evolution of your soul.

In other words: there is a lesson in everything.

When you become aware of this, it becomes one of those things that you can never again ignore.  Once you’re aware, every time you are faced with a difficult situation you will ask yourself: what is presented to me through my relationships and interactions with others? What am I learning about myself?

Which do you currently do: do you currently blame everything and everyone else for your life experiences? Do you take the stance of a victim? Or do you choose to look within for the reflection your relationships & experiences present to you?

Once you begin accepting your inner responsibility for the external happenings in your life, you can begin to be grateful for the abundance of life that spiritual mirrors (aka, the people in your life) offer you. Even the toughest learned lessons.

susan gale October 25, 2012 at 9:47 am

how cool that we chose different aspects of the same topic this week!! great minds and all that, lol… gotta love those lessons… sigh…

Lindsay October 25, 2012 at 9:59 am

Whaaa?! That is way too awesome, Susan! Funnily enough, I woke up this morning and the first thing I saw was your signature in the book you gave me on my nightstand – it had somehow just opened a little to the first page. Now isn’t that something!

Jennifer Flint ~ The Aura Reader October 25, 2012 at 5:52 pm

What an excellent article! I like to take a sort of middle ground on this sort of thing, actually. I do tend to ask myself if the person I’m dealing with is mirroring something to me, and sometimes the answer is indeed yes.

But other times it isn’t, and I need to say “well, that’s an issue they’re working on right now on their own path, and I don’t need to let it affect me.” Otherwise I might absorb or feel guilty about things that really don’t pertain to me, which isn’t healthy either.

So I suppose the trick is to be as honest as you can with yourself about it, and be able to either work on it or let it go. Both can be a challenge sometimes.

I do notice that people around me definitely reflect my positive or negative energy back to me! It’s kind of fun to play with the positive aspects of this, actually – be extra perky or complimentary one day, and just see if people react to you differently. I’ve found that they do!

Lindsay October 26, 2012 at 6:45 am

Middle ground is always good isn’t it, Jennifer? I agree – sometimes it’s not really about us but instead all about them/what they’re going through and it’s important to make sure we don’t get sucked in or it doesn’t soak in…or both.

You are so wise, m’dear.

And yes – spreading sunshine means more sunshine gets spread! I love how that works! I’m feeling happy today (for now, wait ’til I get to the office) so this morning I shall be extra perky and complimentary and see how that comes back!

Julie | A Clear Sign October 25, 2012 at 7:07 pm

You know how I feel about those mirrors. Reflect. And…reflect (on it)!

Funny, I have met other people’ dopplegangers, but haven’t run into my own yet.

Lindsay October 26, 2012 at 6:44 am

You do seem to have an uncanny ability (or whatever we want to call it) to know people who look just like someone else! It’s pretty cool!

Darren B October 25, 2012 at 8:12 pm

RE:

” It is said that we all have a doppelgänger out there somewhere in the world – someone who looks just like us, has similar hobbies and would be mistaken for our twin. ”

and

” And on the FLIPSIDE: do you stay open to the possibility that the casual stranger who smiled at you on the street and makes your morning more blessed is also the part of you that can bring that same gift of unsolicited joy to someone else? ”

and

” Your Soul and your spirit guides/team of angels are constantly providing you with opportunities to see yourself through the situations that you encounter or the drama in your life. When we live without awareness, we see these situations as just situations that happen to us – haphazard, perhaps coincidental moments that occur randomly in our lives. ”

A few synchronicities here for me.

I was over at Richard martini’s “FLIPSIDE” blogsite,which is named after the book and movie that he has done about the afterlife and spirit guides.

His latest post titled – “10 Meditations To Ponder ” are ten meditations that have come from “spirit guides”,according to Richard,during deep hypnosis sessions.

1. Go with the Flow.

2. Start experiencing life in the moment.

3. Accept and Forgive everything that comes to you.

4. Focus on Love and Joy.

5. Get in touch with your Guides.

6. Let Go – stop resisting, realize we are not in control, expand internally. (Let go of fear, anger, resentment)

7. Notice what connects you to others; not what separates you.

8. Focus on acts of kindness without wanting anything in return.

9. Destroy vanity in all its forms. (Money, fame, looks)

10. Stop judging others. Love your neighbor as yourself because they are yourself.

It was funny he mentioned “9. Destroy vanity in all its forms” ,because I was reading an article in “Vanity Fair” magazine at the time about Angelina Jolie who he worked with on the movie “Salt” ,and we had a bit of a laugh and chat over “Vanity Fair” magazine in the comments section of that post.

I let synchronicity (and flow) guide me and I couldn’t help thinking about the parallels between Angie’s life and the lady who seems to lead a similar life (apart from being a movie star) in helping children in this synchronicity post here –

Jeri Gerard sells jewelry and trinkets from Nepal and helps fund schools and other projects in Nepal,which reminded me of Angie’s work.I then found a You Tube about Angie’s jewelry display where she was trying to raise money for a charity for children in crisis –

But I also came across this You Tube of Angie’s doppelgänger –

Weird syncs indeed.

Darren B October 26, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I wrote a comment yesterday about Richard Martini’s book/film “Flipside” and a You Tube link to Angina Jolie’s doppelgänger,but the comment for some reason wasn’t posted.

Anyway,I wanted to add to that comment that Richard’s partner who passed in 1996 was Luana Anders who was in a movie called “Doppelgänger” starring Drew Barrymore.

Lindsay October 26, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Wow! Synchronicity, Darren! Very cool.

PS – Not sure where your first comment disappeared to! Sometimes Wordpress isn’t super reliable!

Darren B October 26, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Maybe because I had links in the comment the Wordpress robot may have trashed it.
The syncs were when you mentioned
” doppelgänger ,flip side,spirit guides/team of angels,drama in your life,and – there is a lesson in everything ”

FLIPSIDE is a book/movie conceived by Richard Martini,he has a blog called
“Flipside:A Tourist’s Guide On How To Navigate The Afterlife”.
His latest post is titled “10 Meditations to Ponder”.
I was over at his site reading the 10 meditations –
1. Go with the Flow.
2. Start experiencing life in the moment.
3. Accept and Forgive everything that comes to you.
4. Focus on Love and Joy.
5. Get in touch with your Guides.
7. Notice what connects you to others; not what separates you.
8. Focus on acts of kindness without wanting anything in return.
9. Destroy vanity in all its forms. (Money, fame, looks)

I left this comment under his post –
” All good points.
Your post bought a smile to my face when I saw –
9. Destroy vanity in all its forms.
(Money, fame, looks)
As I was reading an article about Angelina Jolie in “Vanity Fair” (Oct 2011)
,which is next to me on my desk…but I’m not going to destroy it.
Sorry.-) ”

And he replied by telling me how he got the chance to know Angelina while working on the film “Salt.”
He said ,”contrary to popular media, she’s about the least vain person I’ve met. A great sense of humor. The odd thing about the “destroy vanity” quote was one morning I awoke to hear someone speaking to me in Latin; “vanum populatum.” I don’t speak Latin, but it means annihilate vanity. I thought “I live in LA, where do I start? ” *

*Continued next comment

Darren B October 26, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Richard’s book FLIPSIDE is about
” a topic that’s been haunting him since the death of a soul mate (Luana Anders…who starred in the move ” Doppelgänger”) . After a dream vision of visiting his friend in the Great Beyond, Martini went on a literary quest to find out what the prevailing science and philosophical opinions on the Afterlife are. ”
I wrote a follow up comment when he mentioned Angie J –
” Go with the Flow” has been how I’ve let life lead me over the past two years and it’s a great,although free-falling type experience not knowing where life will lead me.
I let synchronicity guide me and I couldn’t help thinking about the parallels between Angie’s life and the lady who seems to lead a similar life (apart from being a movie star) in helping children in this synchronicity post here – (which I refer to a Synchrosectrets blog post called “Dona Nobis Pacem, Numbers, and Jeri Gerard”
which was about a woman named Jeri Gerard who sells jewelry from Nepal and helps underprivileged kids in Nepal similar to what Angelina J does with her charity work.
I found a You Tube of Angelina’s jewelry line for charity titled
“Angelina Jolie and Julien’s Auctions present the “Style of Jolie” ”
so I thought the parallels between the two women’s work was quite remarkable,and the gallery’s owner had the first name Darren,which happens to be my first name too.
But I also found a You Tube of Angie’s doppelgänger,almost a dead ringer of Jolie,in a You Tube called
“Angelina Jolie look alike is stunning.”
These syncs were just the tip of the iceberg,but they were the one’s I tried to post about yesterday in the comment.
All worth checking out by the way,at those sites.
Jeri’s site is called “goddessoftheconfluence” for anyone who may be interested.
Richard’s vision of his mate was being in a classroom with angles/guides in another galaxy .
There just seemed to be a lot of syncs with your post with the stuff
mentioned above,so I thought that I would mention it here.

Anne October 27, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Somehow, this concept is so important
To really grasp – that we are all part of one another.
I had a hard time wrapping my mind around it for a long time.
However, when it becomes a truth, our approach to everyone seems to change…I was just confronted with such a situation as you mention, L. I could not understand someone’s distant behavior – until I realized I had not only been distant as well, but down right closed off! Or, others will reflect what we ourselves want so much – be it affection or respect or whatever. That seems to be the hardest to realize…and admit.

watch dogs trailer August 3, 2013 at 10:02 am

It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d certainly donate to this superb blog! I guess for now i’ll settle for bookmarking

and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to brand new updates

and will talk about this website with my Facebook group.

Talk soon!

Plenty of Fish Dating Site of Free Dating February 7, 2016 at 12:22 am

That is a very good tip particularly to those new to the blogosphere.
Brief but very precise information… Thanks for sharing this one.

A must read article!