Forget New Year resolutions – make a life list instead

by Lindsay on December 27, 2012

in Attitude, Inspiration, Motivation, Personal Growth

Before the start of each month, I make something I call my “Life List”. It’s a list of the things I want to make happen throughout the course of that month: making XX amount of $ from doing readings, make a new friend, send thank you notes, win the lottery (kidding, that one hasn’t made the list yet). Big or small – if I want to accomplish it that month, it goes on the list.  It’s not really a to-do list as much as it is a “I want to manifest this in my life” list. And guess what? It never fails me, and often surpasses what I’ve asked for.

The Law of Attraction tells us that what we ask for will come to us – if it is for our highest good. That being said, I don’t think it’s just enough to say (or think) that you’d like a brand new wardrobe, a new job or to meet your future partner. It’s not enough to just put it on a dream board or your Life List and then walk away from it, forgetting you ever asked for it. Our ability to manifest the things we desire is in direct proportion to how powerfully and clearly we can state our requests.

Some of us were taught that it’s impolite to make direct requests, so instead we manipulate, drop subtle hints, skirt around the subject or expect the people we want things from to read our minds. Think of the trouble and effort we would save if we’d just ask directly for what we want. Mahatma Gandhi said, “If you don’t’ ask, you don’t get.” In order to turn our visions and dreams into reality, we have to begin making powerful (not to be mistaken for demanding) requests. Think about the areas in your life where you’re already making powerful requests.

• Are you clear with your partner about what you need? (And I don’t meaning nagging about her doing the dishes or him folding the laundry).
  • Are you vocal with your friends about what you need from them?
  • Do you clearly tell your children what you expect?

Now think about the areas in your life where you’re currently unable to ask for what you need for one reason or another. What stops you from making powerful requests. Is it embarrassment? Fear of rejection? Lack of confidence? Feeling, underneath it all, that you don’t really deserve it?

You may even be doing this with yourself when you sit down to make your “wish list” of things you’d like:

“I’d really like to manifest more money because then maybe I could use it for good things.”

You need to be direct and specific. Even with yourself. Actually, especially with yourself. Something like: “I’d like to earn $2,000 more this month by doing A, B and C and I will use it for D.” will be a lot more effective.

Give yourself time to identify what belief or feeling you’d have to give up in order to clearly state your desires in the areas where you’re not asking for what you want. Acknowledge it, but then let it go. Make a promise to yourself to make powerful requests in these areas where you are currently unable to. Give yourself a deadline of a week in order to make the request. Make the promise, set the goal and do it.

The Law of Attraction does work, but it works in conjunction with the Law of Action, which tells you to every day make a conscious step towards what it is you want to manifest/do/be.

Thinking about doing something is the foundation of action, but thinking in and of itself does you no good without action. You can be in a deli and think about eating for 40 days, but if you don’t get your butt off the stool & order a sub you’ll die of starvation.

If you haven’t already ordered yours, I am still offering the 2013 Year Ahead Readings! I connect with your guides and give a month-by-month reading for your upcoming year! These readings have had rave reviews from all who have received theirs and I’m having so much fun doing them!

Vision without action is a daydream. Simple action leads to power that helps you reach your goals and manifest your desires.

Julie Barrett December 27, 2012 at 8:20 am

I love how you’re so organized (or committed?) that you do this monthly. It would be nice to have this kind of clarity instead of turning to where the wind seems to be blow you. Maybe it’s tougher when there are too many “big questions” sitting out there and you just aren’t sure what IS in your highest good, so you only feel those super strong “certain” feelings once in a while. I do find that when I get them and make a point to get extremely clear and ask, that they manifest rather quickly.

Lindsay December 27, 2012 at 10:07 am

It’s my Virgo moon & ascendant that make me a lists person. I love lists – live for them, they keep me organized and on my A-game! Lists & all though, I definitely don’t always know what is in my highest good. I just hope that my desires/wishes/goals line up with that somehow…but I still get derailed sometimes!

Karly December 27, 2012 at 11:45 am

Ah, I just love when your posts reflect something I’m going through at the moment… lets me know I’m not crazy 😉 Sometimes, I have the hardest time asking for what I want directly. Instead, I do drop hints and expect others to read my mind. I certainly don’t do it on purpose, however I’m just now realizing that I do this and how many problems it can actually cause. As for my wishlist, one simple thing: I need to learn to have trust and confidence in myself. Life’s a lot harder if you wake up everyday and constantly fret about how much you think you stink at your new job- all that negativity starts to consume you!

Lindsay December 28, 2012 at 9:02 am

Karly you and I seem to be on the same wavelength often. I love how that works! And let me just say this: don’t be so hard on yourself! You are smart and a quick study and I’m SURE you are good at your new job. They wouldn’t have given you the position if they didn’t have faith in you!

April December 27, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I sometimes hear conflicting info on this topic. I’ve heard that being specific sometimes causes a barrier because then we hold this expectation of it happening in a certain way and sometimes the Universe may give us what we ask for but in a different way then we asked and because we are expecting it in the specific way we asked for it we miss, pass over, or even outright reject the opportunities the Universe presents us. And I think there is some truth to that. So how do we find the balance between being specific BUT staying open to different opportunities that bring us the same results we are asking for?

Lindsay December 28, 2012 at 9:03 am

April you bring up a VERY valid point/question – how do we find the balance? If we can’t

My friend Julie reminded me of something the Astrologer Robert Ohotto says: what happens is your answer. So no matter how detailed (or not) our requests to the Universe are, some things are going to happen whether we ask or not!

Jennifer Flint ~ The Aura Reader December 27, 2012 at 6:02 pm

This is great, and your advice here is really useful. I do keep a running “to do” list of action steps, but I like the idea of thinking of them as manifesting requests instead of just things to get done. That’s an interesting take on it, and I’ll have to try it out!

I’m busy coming up with my Word of the Year at the moment, which I posted about on my own blog today. It’s my form of replacing New Year’s resolutions (although borrowed from someone else). But I’m definitely experimenting with manifestation lately, so this idea is really helpful too.

Thanks much, and I hope you have a wonderful and abundant 2013! So glad I got to know you better this year! 🙂

Lindsay December 28, 2012 at 9:05 am

Ohhhh Word of the Year! I forget what my word of the year for 2012 was. I’ll have to consult my journal. I guess I didn’t put enough weight on it if I am not remembering it! But you reminded me to do that for 2013. I think I know what I”m choosing: allow. Just allow things to happen and flow as they are meant to. Allow love, allow abundance, etc, etc…WOOT! Thanks, Jennifer!

PS – I am so happy I got to know you better this year, too!

Anne McCarroll December 28, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Oh, how many times have I sat upon that stool and starved?!? What a wonderful analogy!
This call to arms is definitely a positive way to incorporate more action and invigorate the law of attraction ‘vortex’ everyone gets caught in at least once! I have some plans that I will set in motion – and my less stress plan is to put action to them constantly-without being a control freak, which, for me, is the challenge.
I’ve actually never made resolutions – only ideas I ‘put out there’ in September, when school starts.
No so this time! I’m off the stool!! And now that I’ve read Jennifer’s reply, the word is next! Lordy! Look out ’13! We will all burn through it white hot!

{ 1 trackback }