The tale of my friend's haunted house

The tale of my friend’s haunted house

by Lindsay on December 6, 2012

in Environment, Paranormal

A few weeks ago, my best friend Sarah and her partner moved into a new (to them) home. As I toured the house, I felt good about the new space. But as we entered one particular room, a wave of sadness washed over me. I couldn’t really figure out why, and tucked those feelings away.

A few days later, Sarah and I were lounging around in that particular room when another wave of sadness came over me. This time, the feeling wouldn’t go away. Moments later, my puppy Solo – who is very sensitive to spirit, if you remember the Saga of the Bathroom Ghost – began barking at what appeared to be “nothing” in the room. Sarah and I looked at each other and we knew. We knew he was barking at something we just couldn’t see.

Previous owner’s premature death

According to the landlord, the previous owner of the home died at a very young age – only 36 years old. He was halfway through home renovations when he got sick and eventually succumbed to his illness. We could so obviously feel his attachment to the home, even from the Other Side. He felt sad, clearly, that he had to leave it behind. The particular room we felt the immense sadness in just happened to be where his former workshop was. Sarah told me that her partner’s brother had mentioned he “didn’t like the feeling” of that particular room, either. And it’s no wonder why. He recommended smudging – aka burning sage – throughout the home to clear the space.

What is sage?

Sage is an herb used for cooking, herbal medicine and energy clearing. White Sage (Salvia Apiana) is what is used for Smudge Sticks. It is these sticks that are used for clearing negativity–inside and outside ourselves, from our homes or any other type of structure. We can use it to cleanse our auras, too, when we’re feeling like we need a good energy cleanse.

How to smudge a home

Once you have your smudge bundle/stick of sage, you’re ready to begin!

Light the bundle. You don’t want it to burn like a fire, but instead like a smoldering piece of charcoal.

Start at the front door and take the stick and wave it as if you were drawing an imaginary line around the shape of the door.

Continue this process throughout the entire home. We made sure we waved the sage in every corner of the home, in each room and closet.

Speak to Spirit/say a prayer. In the room we felt was ‘haunted’, we said a prayer.  We asked that any and all Spirits that were there leave the home. We let them know that it was no longer their home and while we appreciated their attachment, it was no longer serving a purpose. We gently let the Spirit(s) know they were not welcome in the home. Then, we thanked our own team of spirit guides and angels for helping us clear the home.

Moments after we cleared the home, the room felt warmer, safer, less sad somehow. Safe to say, the smudging worked. Now hopefully the previous owner’s Spirit is calm on the other side, knowing the new home-dwellers will take care of his previous space.

As a best practice, I smudge every new home/apartment I live in. Not because I feel every home is haunted, but because it’s good practice to clear out anyone else’s energy to really make my new house my home.

Have you ever smudged your home? Do you use sage in your life or spiritual practice? Share your stories with us here!

Julie Barrett December 6, 2012 at 6:41 am

You know, I never have. Probably it would have been wiser to in this house though! I almost never am IN my house – I spend 90% of my time out on the back porch, in nature. I’ve always heard that you should do readings inside, in a closed room, and clear it first, but I dunno – I just cannot be constrained and I need to be outside.

Lindsay December 6, 2012 at 7:01 am

Do what feels right! I do my readings in a little ‘nook’ I’ve created here in my home, but that’s because if I stepped outside the sounds of the city might distract me and/or my neighbors (who I share a yard with) might try to talk, etc…You have the perfect place for doing peaceful outdoor readings!

To me, sage kinda smells like pot. It’s not the nicest smell but I do it anyway. I certainly don’t sage before/after each reading though. Maybe I should!

Laura Warnke December 6, 2012 at 2:03 pm

You know I purchased a bundle of sage about a year ago and have never used it. I always wondered what it smelled like and what you said is about what I thought it might. I worry I will go through the house with sage and then one of the neighbors will come knocking on the door at the exact wrong time.

Lindsay December 6, 2012 at 2:12 pm

LOL now that would be hilarious and a tale worth telling!

Susan S. December 6, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I smudged a room in my house when I was creating a sacred space in it. Boy, was that sage smokey! I had to open all the windows and air the place out really well afterwards. I have also heard that using a room spray with white sage oil works, too. (Haven’t tried it yet). I’ve also used different crystals over my doorways (doors to outside) to help move out energy.

Lindsay December 7, 2012 at 7:14 am

That white sage oil sounds like it’d be more gentle on the eyes and lungs…I’m going to see about getting some! I bought some sort of room spray from a Native American man who sold things like that but I don’t know if there was any sage in it. I’ll have to check the ingredients but oh, it smelled so good!

Aunt Susan December 6, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Lindsay: In my Christian tradition in the Lutheren, ELCA tradition, we have what is know at a Blessing for the Home. IT is a celebration of vocation in the deepest and broadest sense. WE thank God for the gift of a home while honoring the ways people practice their faith in their life at home: chores, hobbies, cooking and eating, ways of relaxing, relationships within the household and beyond it, caring for our bodies, connecting with the creation. When I do this Blessing of homes, I always leave a cross behind in the house or in one special room where the family spends most of their time together. In a way, this is my way of smugging a room and home but with the Holy Spirt as I know. + Father, Son and Holy Spirit three in one. Also: I wish you knew Nanny Sue. you would have loved her and the things she used to do when alive. I will be happy to share them when I see you.

Lindsay December 7, 2012 at 7:15 am

I didn’t know Lutherans did that sort of thing, Aunt Susan. That is so cool! Would love to see one. :)

Also…I would really love to hear your Nanny Sue stories. Was she a very spiritual person? I hope we get to see each other some time soon. Hopefully in 2013 when I’m in PA!

Cassie December 6, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I absolutely love sage!!! If I am not using it for my whole house I am often doing it for myself. Sometimes we pick up on so much energy we just need to clear it all away and start fresh. Between smudging and my crystals I can’t go wrong. Plus my 2 year old often has conversations in his room all alone with “someone” but I don’t always worry because I have never really used the word angel around him and one day when I went into his room he said “angel mommy!” So hopefully nothing but love & light all around my house.

Lindsay December 7, 2012 at 7:16 am

Hi Cassie! I just love stories about children communicating with people on the Other Side and their guides/angels. Even cooler than he used the word “angel” on his own! You’re right – smudging and crystals are a powerful combo. :)

Heather December 6, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I got a sage bundle about 6 months ago and smudged the whole house. I mainly wanted to clear out any stuck energy and lighten things up. I love the smell of sage, it reminds me of New Mexico. I lived in Taos for a couple of months during my 20s and the house I stayed in was right in the middle of sage fields. I don’t think it smells like pot though…

Lindsay December 7, 2012 at 7:17 am

Sage fields! I bet those were beautiful to see and nice to smell, too, when it’s so fresh like that. I forgot that you’ve lived in Taos. I’ve heard it’s very beautiful there. It’s on my Places to Visit list…some day. :)

Anne December 6, 2012 at 6:15 pm

You bet I use that sage smudge. I use it when the seasons change – all windows open, doors, too – and my children and husband parade around while we smudge. The kids love the ritual, my husband takes comfort in the transition it invites, the cleansing it does. I have one of those “mega” sage smudges. It’s huge! And it has a special spot in storage when not in use. I use it to clean the house after a large group of folks come over. I used it when the holidays were over last year. I’ll do it again at the new year in a few weeks.

I will say, when I use it, the act itself is one of reverence and love, one full of prayer and contemplation. The house smells like a hemp hut for a while, but I will excuse that!

I’ve also burned dried lavender in the fireplace. It has cleansing properties, and doesn’t smell quite the same. One year after everyone had been sick with Flu or the winter funk or whatever – I smudged the house to start ‘over’ and clean out the cruddy air.

can’t live without the sage!

Lindsay December 7, 2012 at 7:18 am

I laughed out loud at your “hemp hut” comment. You always make me laugh. :)

Oh my gosh Anne dried lavender in the fireplace sounds SO nice! Makes me wish I had a fireplace. I have some lavender essential oil I use on my pillow on the nights when I can’t sleep. It smells so good.

I hadn’t thought about using sage to clear the home after everyone has been sick…that’s an awesome idea and I’m going to use it next time that happens!

Jennifer Flint ~ The Aura Reader December 8, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Heh heh, I actually did try to smudge our last apartment with sage when we moved in there, but it didn’t go over well with my boyfriend, who’s very sensitive to such things, and suffers from a number of allergies. There was a lot of window-opening and waving of towels, as I recall. Not likely to try that again anytime soon!

I think we have a couple of spirits in our current place that belong to the house, but they don’t bother me and I don’t mind them at all. I wouldn’t dream of chasing them out. I do like to burn a bit of incense down again, though, but only when the birds aren’t around! :-)