Several years ago, I went on a date with a woman who seemed charming. Although her written word captivated me and held my attention and interest, there was a feeling in my stomach: a feeling of a heavy, dead weight and uprising vomit. But despite that feeling, I went ahead and went on the date anyway. I lived to regret ignoring that gut feeling, as well as the several roadblocks the Universe put up to try to get me to avoid going on that date, because this person ended up taking me down a dark path that I never should have walked down. I just didn’t listen until the Universe dropped one of the heaviest sledgehammers on me it has ever dropped.
When the Universe wants us to pay attention to something, it has a way of getting our attention. In signs we see, conversations we overhear, songs that pop up on the radio, bubble gum pieces shaped into hearts on the sidewalk. And we know this. So when the Universe speaks, we listen. Right? Well…..sometimes.
What happens when we don’t listen? When we either choose to ignore the signs we are given, or just plain ‘ole don’t seem them?
The Universe starts off by trying to get our attention through whispers. A good example of a ‘whisper’ is that niggling gut feeling you have. It then will ramp it up a bit and try to speak to us through load roars. Perhaps a song that is playing on the radio every time you get in the car, with the very message you need to hear. Or a friend who is going through the same thing as you are, and learned her lesson the “hard” way – acting as an example for you.
And if we still don’t pay attention? We’ll get hit over our pretty little heads with a sledgehammer. Metaphorically speaking, thank goodness.
You know when the Universe is trying to give you a sign. You know it because you register it in your mind – even if only for a millisecond – and then you go about your life. You can be like me and ignore those signs until the sledgehammer comes your way, or you can be a bit smarter and pay attention from the get-go. Your mileage may vary.
If you’ve ever noticed any of this, chances are you’re being given signs:
- “Coincidences” that happen – I don’t believe in coincidence, and usually it is the Universe’s way of speaking to us
- Dreams that carry messages or suggestions
- Books (or blog posts!) that speak directly to where you are in your life
- A gut feeling that just won’t go away
- You overhear a conversation that you swear was meant for you
- Roadblocks: things that occur to make something harder than it should be
- Physical symptoms: our bodies are smart, and if something isn’t right, it will tell us! Ever get a wave of nausea from being around someone who wasn’t a very nice person?
- A sense of inner knowing that something is true, even though it feels completely crazy
- Song lyrics that keep coming up: in your head, in the car, on your mp3 player
- Synchronicities occur – it seems the Universe is lining things up to work just for you
Have you ever ignored any gut feelings, only for the Universe to amp up the message delivery? Has the Universe ever hit you over the head with the proverbial sledgehammer? It sure has done this to me!
If you like what you read here - subscribe to The Daily Awe.
If you’re looking for some insight into your career, relationships or life in general, click here for an intuitive reading.