What happens when you ignore signs from the Universe

What happens when you ignore signs from the Universe

by Lindsay on August 15, 2013

in Intuition, Personal Growth, Synchronicity

Screen shot 2013-08-14 at 8.36.50 PMSeveral years ago, I went on a date with a woman who seemed charming. Although her written word captivated me and held my attention and interest, there was a feeling in my stomach: a feeling of a heavy, dead weight and uprising vomit. But despite that feeling, I went ahead and went on the date anyway. I lived to regret ignoring that gut feeling, as well as the several roadblocks the Universe put up to try to get me to avoid going on that date, because this person ended up taking me down a dark path that I never should have walked down. I just didn’t listen until the Universe dropped one of the heaviest sledgehammers on me it has ever dropped.

When the Universe wants us to pay attention to something, it has a way of getting our attention. In signs we see, conversations we overhear, songs that pop up on the radio, bubble gum pieces shaped into hearts on the sidewalk.  And we know this. So when the Universe speaks, we listen. Right? Well…..sometimes.

What happens when we don’t listen? When we either choose to ignore the signs we are given, or just plain ‘ole don’t seem them?

The Universe starts off by trying to get our attention through whispers. A good example of a ‘whisper’ is that niggling gut feeling you have. It then will ramp it up a bit and try to speak to us through load roars. Perhaps a song that is playing on the radio every time you get in the car, with the very message you need to hear. Or a friend who is going through the same thing as you are, and learned her lesson the “hard” way – acting as an example for you.

And if we still don’t pay attention? We’ll get hit over our pretty little heads with a sledgehammer. Metaphorically speaking, thank goodness.

You know when the Universe is trying to give you a sign. You know it because you register it in your mind – even if only for a millisecond – and then you go about your life. You can be like me and ignore those signs until the sledgehammer comes your way, or you can be a bit smarter and pay attention from the get-go. Your mileage may vary.

If you’ve ever noticed any of this, chances are you’re being given signs:

• “Coincidences” that happen – I don’t believe in coincidence, and usually it is the Universe’s way of speaking to us
  • Dreams that carry messages or suggestions
  • Books (or blog posts!) that speak directly to where you are in your life
  • A gut feeling that just won’t go away
  • You overhear a conversation that you swear was meant for you
  • Roadblocks: things that occur to make something harder than it should be
  • Physical symptoms: our bodies are smart, and if something isn’t right, it will tell us! Ever get a wave of nausea from being around someone who wasn’t a very nice person?
  • A sense of inner knowing that something is true, even though it feels completely crazy
  • Song lyrics that keep coming up: in your head, in the car, on your mp3 player
  • Synchronicities occur – it seems the Universe is lining things up to work just for you

Have you ever ignored any gut feelings, only for the Universe to amp up the message delivery? Has the Universe ever hit you over the head with the proverbial sledgehammer? It sure has done this to me!

If you like what you read here – subscribe to The Daily Awe.

If you’re looking for some insight into your career, relationships or life in general,  click here for an intuitive reading.

Julie Barrett August 15, 2013 at 7:18 am

Hi Lindsay! Yes indeed, I have certainly had those moments, although lately they seem to be changing and morphing into something else. I have been having some roadblocks where things are so hard I have to wonder WHY on earth everyone wants to make it virtually impossible (to get insurance – of all things!!). Stuff that should be simple has become a major challenge. But I do stop to think what other message wants to come through, what alternative is there that I am missing?

Michael August 15, 2013 at 8:59 am

I’m a fan of old cartoons – probably because I’m getting old!

One of the funny conventions they used to have was when a character smelled, say, a fresh apple pie cooling on a window sill. The wavy lines representing the aroma of that deliciousness would waft in from off-screen, and the character would take notice, be enthralled, and actually lift off the ground and be gently pulled along toward that pie.

That’s sort of where I am now, and where we all can be eventually. Take a deep breath of that goodness and just waft toward it, LOL. No fear, no anxiety. Just follow yer nose. There’s enough pie for everyone. :)

Sami August 15, 2013 at 9:56 am

Hey Lindsay! Recently I met someone who I was interested in. She told me she’s a certain age and right away my instincts went into full gear and told me she’s not being truthful. I saw her a few times but the nagging feeling kept getting louder and louder and I felt I couldn’t continue seeing someone who my gut says is being dishonest. A few weeks ago I had a dream where she was on stage doing a really good performance of…something…not sure what. When she came off stage, she was visibly upset and thought she hadn’t done a good enough job. I woke up with smile, knowing the universe probably saved me from some major issues down the road if I had continued seeing this woman.

Val August 15, 2013 at 10:54 am

Oh I can surely relate to this post. When it would be easier to pull a tooth from a stallion in heat, I know it’s time to give up..lol Been there. With age however, I have learned see the signs earlier than in my youth. So now when the “stallion” bites my hand while giving it a sugar cube, I move along..lol

Rachel August 15, 2013 at 10:54 am

Oh goodness. This has happened to me on several different occasions. There was one incident though, I’ll never forget. Several years ago I was surrounded by bad energies. I was walking a very very dark path. I had left my friends with an action already set in my mind. As I drove, I kept getting stuck behind slow driving cars. I would pass one, just to come up on another one. This happened to me all the way until my destination. As I parked, I literally held my future in my hands. Suddenly, a van pulled up and a family got out. A little girl looked at me, as I slouched in my seat, and smiled and waved(I’m a sucker for kids). I still ignored this sign. My life changed forever after this. I always keep an open mind now. :)

Tiffany August 18, 2013 at 10:53 pm

I recently met a girl online. We shared six weeks of amazing conversations, followed by four fairytale like days in person. I thought I had found ” the one”.. but as soon as I left her it all changed. Things stopped adding up.. the gut feelings started.. the physical illness.. everything that was mentioned in this blog I went through. And I knew deep down inside something wasn’t right but I made excuses to justify what I was feeling. It wasnt until a few minutes ago I realized my phone wasnt getting my email and that’s when I saw this and the sledgehammer ensued… well played my friend.. well played.

Lindsay August 25, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Sounds familiar, Tiffany! I hope you listened to your gut. I’d love to hear your follow-up/update!

Maureen August 24, 2013 at 1:10 am

Hi Lindsay! I’ve been trying to get back on track with my favorite blogs (and bloggers :-)) after much chaos with my computers crashing from viruses and malware (..A sign? Has to be … just not sure exactly about what, though).

This post raised some questions for me:

1. What happens if someone doesn’t yet know how the Universe speaks, and therefore ignores or dismisses those classic warning signs ranging from whispers to frantic gestures to massive red flags to asteroids falling around her? So she brushes those “coincidences” aside, and makes the fateful move to Pennsylvania — where one thing after another goes terribly wrong. Ten years later she’s incapacitated by illness and a suffocated soul … but she can find no acceptable way out. (Moving away would mean abandoning her children — which for her is not an option. It would nullify whatever joy might be found in freedom).

Will the Universe have mercy and help this person out of the hole she dug for herself … especially now that she’s grown spiritually and knows the language of Spirit/Universe? Or will she have to bear the consequences for many more years as penalty for not listening/hearing in the first place?

I had another question, but this one is loaded enough for one comment :-).

Lindsay August 25, 2013 at 7:52 pm

The Universe is forgiving and ALWAYS wants what is best for us. I don’t believe the Universe or guides would ever want to punish us for a decision we made when we ignored the signs. So even when we make decisions that we were told by the Universe NOT to, we can always get our lives back on track.

Ask for guidance and help for the next steps and ask for the light to be shown as to how to find your centre and next steps. That’s what I’d say to the person stuck in Pennsylvania. Life isn’t over, and it doesn’t always have to be bad. In fact, it won’t be. :)

Shawn July 1, 2014 at 6:01 pm

I found this site because I was trying to find an answer about missing signs from the Universe…in my case, I wasn’t ignoring a bad sign. I totally missed it when the Universe brought be exactly what I asked for and the opportunity slipped away.

I’m wondering if the Universe grants do-overs :) I realized what I had missed within less than an hour of missing it and had to laugh out loud at myself! How do I become more sensitive and in tune with the Universe so I don’t miss these wonderful gifts in the future?

Prins August 23, 2014 at 4:44 am

How ignorant we are coming down the centuries when only recently people are learning to think out of the box, the universe is always talking to us and listening to us. Simple equation, it gave birth to you so it is your parent, watching, listening, laughing, and taking care of you. So just pay attention and it will communicate with you. You are free to communicate or not to communicate. Do not communicate and you will loose the bigger equation to life “happiness”.

cheap nike nfl jerseys October 13, 2015 at 8:25 pm