Using Reiki (Energy Healing) on Babies

Using Reiki (Energy Healing) on Babies

by Lindsay on September 26, 2013

in Reiki

A couple weeks ago, my friend’s baby was having a difficult afternoon.  He was fussy, cranky and eventually turned up the dial and started crying. My friend texted me, upset. At the time, I was nursing my daughter Evelyn down for her afternoon nap and couldn’t do much besides send text messages offering support. But then it dawned on me - Reiki! I’ve successfully given both Evelyn and Henry Reiki treatments in the past. For crankiness, illness and otherwise general malaise when we weren’t sure what was bothering them.

Without telling my friend, I sent her son Henry some distance Reiki to help calm him down. 3 minutes later she said, “He’s asleep now.” I’ve no doubt it was the calming energy sent his way to help him find sleep and stay asleep.

All zen with Reiki

Some of you might be rolling your eyes right about now, wondering how on earth energy ‘medicine’ could work in person much less via distance. A little healthy skepticism is a good thing to have, with all health-related treatments. All I can say is I’ve seen enough and lived through enough examples of it working to say that indeed, it does. I encourage everyone to try it for themselves.

Reiki is a Japanese word – Rei means universal transcendental spirit and Ki means life energy. Everything we are, do and experience is energy. And so, Reiki is a form of using our energy and that around us and setting an intention for its use. Reiki promotes the body’s natural healing process

Hands-on, yet gentle, Reiki can help:

• babies sleep well for longer stretches
  • aid in soothing a baby with colic
  • relieve pain from teething
  • speed up recovery during a cold

During a Reiki treatment, subtle energy flows from the hands of the practitioner to the client during a Reiki treatment session and it’s this energy that creates relaxation and a healing effect.

I’ve used Reiki most often in my Hospice work, with palliative patients. But given that I’m a mom to an infant now, with friends who also have babies, I’ve used it a lot on our babies with a great deal of success.   I am so confident in what Reiki does that I am considering creating and holding a course for local Toronto parents on how to use Reiki with/for their babies. Who wouldn’t want an extra tool in their arsenal to help soothe a crying baby?

Any local Toronto mamas interested? I’m putting together course materials now and will likely hold my first group/course here in my home in late October/early November. I am also considering a video series for those who don’t live in Toronto. Is there any interest out there for this sort of thing?

Have you ever used Reiki or any other alternative treatments on an infant or young child? Share your stories with me!

Anne McCarroll September 26, 2013 at 10:19 am

Reiki for children – I give my kids reiki all the time – for earaches, grumpiness, and test days. My daughter is more emotional; she responds well to reiki and its calming effects. My son likes reiki at the end of the day to put him to sleep and calm him-and I’ve noticed it helps with fever. Reiki and children is a definite plus to me!

TimeEnder September 27, 2013 at 3:46 am

with fever? HAH

Lindsay September 27, 2013 at 9:22 pm

TEST DAYS! Now THAT is an amazing idea! Your kids are lucky to have you as their mama and give them that little boost of help and healing when needed. Do your kids know how to do reiki yet themselves? I’m wondering at what age it would be appropriate to teach it. Any ideas?

Heather September 26, 2013 at 10:42 am

I think this is an awesome idea that people (moms especially) would be very open to! How wonderful to share this with people! I love how you choose to shine your light :)

Lindsay September 27, 2013 at 9:22 pm

You make me smile all the time, Heather. Thank you for your kindness and support!

Linda Griffin September 26, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Hello Linsay,

What a wonderful idea! I would be very interested in a video series, considering that I will be taking care of my baby granddaughter when her mom goes back to work at the end of October. Thanks for all you do.

Linda

Lindsay September 27, 2013 at 9:21 pm

What a lucky grand-daugther to have you to care for her when Mama goes back to work! I am working on a way to do the video series and will make an announcement as soon as I do! Thank you for your interest! :)

Jen September 26, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Isn’t it amazing how fast kids respond to Reiki? When my kids were even smaller they could only really handle it for a minute or two.. I used to send it to their video monitors when they were fussing in their cribs. It’s so great for kids, my boys call it “magic hands”.

Lindsay September 27, 2013 at 9:21 pm

“Magic hands” – LOVE IT! My baby can only really take it for a couple minutes at a time, too. I guess because the intention is strong enough and the energy goes right to their little, receptive bodies!

Nesha September 26, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more. I recently became a Reiki Master, with goals to treat/specialize in newborns.

Unfortunately I live in Calgary and won’t be able to attend your course in Toronto :(. Maybe there is another way of purchasing/receiving the course information from you? I would definately be interested xx.

Thank you Lindsay!!

TimeEnder September 27, 2013 at 3:45 am

how about you delicate your life to keeping fluoride out of newborns and kids water you fucking idiot.

i am sorry for being so blunt but you need to hear what I am saying.
when you focus on the ridiculous and think it is magic and are awed.. many suffer. Mostly the kids. D:

Lindsay September 27, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Congratulations on becoming a Reiki Master! Looks like we are on the same wavelength, with wanting to work with infants & children! Amazing! I am looking forward to teaching young children as mine and my friend’s babies grow older, too. I am working on a way to do some video courses and couple that with telephone mentoring. I will let you know as soon as I have something planned!

TimeEnder September 27, 2013 at 3:38 am

It is actually called INTENTION.
And is NOTHING new.
All was made by it.
And is up kept.
Solely but it.
Intention.

Fuck repackaging and prideful displays of delusional mental break downs had by people thinking they reinvented the wheel with a pebble. ;]

TimeEnder September 27, 2013 at 3:42 am

And mind you would be replies what what written about those who would harm a babe… I consider someone calling simple ‘intention’ by a new name, and glorifying it as an invention by man as harmful to the kids. Our Universe was made by it and is/was then and is now.. Intention.

‘Magic’… its mind bitch. Stop setting your children up to be mindless heartless superstitious dark arts bitches. ;P

Lindsay September 27, 2013 at 9:18 pm

What was your ‘intention’ in coming here and spewing your negative, nasty language? My ‘intention’ in replying to you is to let you know I truly believe: to each his/her own. I wish you well. Take care.