When things don’t go as planned

by Lindsay on December 15, 2013

in Attitude, Personal Growth

Screen Shot 2013-12-07 at 2.51.58 PMLast year at this time, I was 36+ weeks pregnant, about to go on my year-long maternity leave to take care of my soon-to-be-born daughter. I had visions of how we would spend our days: lots of cuddles, reading, swimming lessons, music. During Evelyn’s naps, I planned to do as much work for The Daily Awe as possible: readings, writing poignant articles and expanding the business side of things.

I had high hopes and dreams for The Daily Awe without the weight of an office job dragging me down. I wanted it to take off to places it’s never been, I wanted new eyes to see it, and I wanted to be able to make a steady income doing readings and Reiki for folks. And I wanted to do all of this while raising a brand new baby girl.

Um…insert sound of screeching tires here.

Why didn’t anyone give me a reality check? I guess sometimes, we just have to learn things for ourselves. These days, I feel like I’ve accomplished great feats just by hitting “publish” on a blog article once a month.

Long-time readers will notice that articles just don’t get published with the frequency here with which they used to. It started off as daily posts (hence the name), weekly, then bi-weekly and now? Well, you know…

Here’s what I learned: things don’t always go as planned. In fact, things usually don’t go as planned. But just because they don’t go the way we originally intended doesn’t mean that things are wrong/bad/awfully awry and astray. There’s the human plan, and then there’s the Divine plan. We just have to roll with the punches, go with what happens and know: the Universe always, always, always has your back.

If you find yourself in the thick of disappointment in yourself or something else because things aren’t going “according to plan”, remember this: It is common for successful people to describe their journeys a long series of minor and major obstacles, sprinkled with a few glorious moments of meeting goals. Our ability to withstand disappointment, reassess our routes, and continue on is so very important.

Goals, passion, and drive are what keep us moving forward and developing as people, but there’s no shame in changing direction in your life. As we grow, our values change, as does our perception of success. Our situations change – babies are born, jobs change, hobbies come and go, as do friends and family.  It makes sense that our dreams and goals need to be adjusted from time to time, too.

Need more reminding that it’s okay when things don’t go as planned?

Look back at yourself 10 years ago. Now, stop criticizing that haircut and that thing you insisted on wearing. You’re not the same person you were back then. Things didn’t go your way, all the time. And that’s more than okay. YOU wouldn’t be YOU if things always went the way you intended. It is amazing to take a look back and see how far you’ve landed from where you had originally planned, and yet find it is exactly where you need to be.

The Daily Awe: Now

As for The Daily Awe, it’s exactly where it needs to be right now. I’m doing several readings a week, which is wonderful extra income. My maternity leave has been the most incredible time of my life, as I spend my days with my baby girl. I will never regret spending more time napping with her instead of working on my business plan. These days are so very precious, and I am exactly where I need to be.

What have you done when things don’t go “your way”? Do you see how the Universe always has your back and steers you in the right direction, even when you’ve veered “off course”?

Julie Barrett December 15, 2013 at 6:13 pm

I told you, didn’t I? I swear I did :) Maybe this is like when we graduate high school or marry the wrong person, fingers in our ears, ain’t nobody telling us nothing!

And yet, isn’t it wonderful.

Lindsay December 16, 2013 at 8:31 am

Come to think of it, you DID tell me. In the gentlest way possible, which of course I ignored. LOL And yes – it is so, so wonderful and so, so worth it. Hardest/best things I’ve ever done!

Susan December 15, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Don’t I know it! When I was 16, I got to spend part of a summer being a nanny for a lovely 3 year old girl. She was so much fun and I had a great time. I made the mistake of thinking that all kids were like her. When I had my son, I was a sleep deprived mess for at least the first year. And it was merged with low thyroid, out of whack hormones and depression until my son was about five or six. On top of that, my son had a host of issues, ultimately wearing several hats of diagnoses.

However, if my son hadn’t had so many difficulties, I never would have discovered energy medicine, and I never would have had a spiritual awakening. So, even though the road was rougher than I ever dreamed, life has turned out better than I could imagine- and it’s just really getting started.

Lindsay December 16, 2013 at 8:33 am

I can TOTALLY related to the sleep deprivation! Evelyn is such a happy baby, but she doesn’t much care for sleep at night. Or so it seems. I’ve never been more tired in my entire life, but I’ve also never been happier.

It sounds like your son is just as big a teacher for you as you are to him. What a gift! It just keeps on getting better.

Karly December 16, 2013 at 6:50 pm

It doesn’t matter if you write once a day or once a month…. two years after discovering your blog and I still love reading your posts! They are so full of insight and wisdom, and they genuinely make me smile.

P.S. it also totally helps when you post one about the exact same thing I’m going through! I’m at that troubled spot where I’m having trouble realizing that certain things are out of my control for now… as I like to say, “man plans, God laughs!”

Lindsay December 18, 2013 at 11:43 am

Thank you, Karly! You are just so sweet and I couldn’t be more grateful to have your support and to have you along on this journey with me!

Dylan Calista December 19, 2013 at 11:48 am

Lindsay, I rarely ever get online to read blogs anymore. I do not even have the time to maintain my own. But each time I am drawn to visit your site, I feel that there is a message for me that I should read. And truly, there is.

I have been thinking about this – when things don’t go as planned. I have lived my life trying to plan as much as possible. Planning was my security blanket so I could feel a sense of direction and knowing where I was heading. But, thus far, everything I had planned for myself seems to have gone awry. My life has been completely turned upside down. That is not to say, however, that it’s been terrible because it hasn’t been. I have learned a lot through my experiences and I am happy about that.

Right now, I do not know what I’m supposed to do with my life or where I’m supposed to go, what direction, etc. And maybe right now, the point is to go with the flow and to stop planning so much.

Since I was a child, mediums have approached my mother to speak about me and my gifts. But, because of my religious upbringing, my Mother thought it was best to shield me from all of these kinds of stuff because it is ‘evil’. And so, I somehow shut off my intuition, instincts – whatever you wish to call it. And I lived 25 years being ‘switched off.’

What did the universe do about it?

Well. You know my story. I underwent major surgery. I died. And I came back. And I feel like my life went on reset. Maybe I needed to be put back on track to fulfill my purpose.

And now’s the part where I figure out what I’m supposed to do with my life.

I don’t have all the answers but I know I’ll make sense of everything. One day at a time.

Mary December 20, 2013 at 7:58 am

Congratulations with your little one and just wanted to say I enjoy your postings. You reminded me of what a friend told me once after having a baby – “I could have written a novel with the time I had before the baby came!”. At the time, I didn’t have children yet and didn’t understand, but boy do I now! :) Thanks for the reminder that life is a process, a journey, rather than a race for results.

Jeremy February 2, 2014 at 12:07 am

I think we have to be clear of our directions in life. It’s probably easy for many bloggers to say that their “directions have changed” when the reality is that they’re just getting lazy or something along those lines. So ultimately, we need to be honest with ourselves.

Thanks for writing this. :)