When your intuition fails you

by Lindsay on March 20, 2014

in Intuition

bird on wire

Last weekend, friends of mine were discussing the Year Ahead Readings I’d done for them for 2014. We’re well into March, and much of what their readings said have come to fruition. Toot toot! My friend Laura asked me if I’d done a reading for myself, to which I responded, “No. I can’t do readings for myself like I can others. But I can use my intuition.”

The conversation steered to using our intuition, and how sometimes it seems that it fails us. One of my friends insisted that our intuition can fail us, citing some examples:

• When you meet a woman you just know is “The One”, only for that relationship to crumble and fall apart months later.
  • You’ve interviewed for a job and feel confident the job is yours, only for the hiring manager to call you and say, “I’m sorry, but we’ve hired someone else.”
  • You’re trying to conceive and your heart is telling you this is your month to get pregnant, you are certain you’ll have a baby 9 months later! And two weeks later, your period shows up, leaving you crushed and back at Square One.

Do you notice a pattern in any of these scenarios? They all involve emotions, wishes, dreams and hopes. In other words – your hearts’ desire was the voice speaking to you, while your intuition – the soft whisper that it is – got buried beneath the loud noises of your heart.

Intuition vs. Wants

Our intuition often gets lost under the deep well of human emotion that dwells in all of us. What we think or feel is our intuition is actually our desires, hopes, dreams and feelings guiding us.

Here’s the thing: our intuition doesn’t always tell us what we want to hear. Of course we want that job/man/lottery win to be ours. And if our intuition is telling us otherwise, of course we don’t want to listen! That niggling ache in your gut telling you that what you want might not be the best thing for you? Yeahhhh…you can ignore it, of course you can. But you’re better off actually “listening”.

“It’s not always easy to hear your inner voice – especially when certain louder, pushier, and seemingly more sensible presence wants to drown it out.” Martha Beck

You can learn your lesson the hard way, or the easy way. Either way, you’re going to learn it. I do my best to listen to the whispers, the niggles, the little voice that tells me it knows what’s up. Because when I ignore it, that’s when I start making mistakes. That’s when I start getting mad at myself for ignoring it.

As you listen to your intuition, the whisper becomes easier to hear. It does get easier to distinguish your intuition from your own thoughts/inner voice. Only with practice are we able to discern what our desires are vs. what our intuition is telling us.

When you first start practicing listening to it, that whisper might be so faint you have to squint to hear it. That’s okay. The more you listen, the louder it’ll get. And eventually, your intuition will be the one drowning out the sounds of the noisy “want” thoughts swirling through your head.

Living with intuition

I do my best to always listen to my intuition and do what it tells me to do. It never fails and always has better opportunities for me and brings me beautiful things, better then I could think of myself. Of course, I’ve ignored my intuition countless times. And I always regret it.

You see, sometimes we can’t always see where the road will go, we just know we need to be on it, our inner voice is telling us so. Consult and trust your intuition – it never steers you wrong.

If you like what you read here - subscribe to The Daily Awe.

If you’re looking for some insight into your career, relationships or life in general,  click here for an intuitive reading.

Valeria March 20, 2014 at 3:40 pm

I have to disagree with you. I worked for a company and got laid off. I consistently say or sing or write my believable affirmations daily. 40 times daily for 40 days. I manifested a job for me like the one at the previous company. This occurred in October 2012. I said my believable affirmations after eating breakfast at the bakery on Saturday and I said I wanted to work in that building. Spirit said write the name of the building down, so I wrote the name of the building down on a sheet of paper.
Monday came, I opened up Indeed.com and there was a job with the same exact title that I had at my previous job , Project Cost Analyst, in the building I wanted to work in.

I filled out the information and sent it in. One week later I was informed that the job had changed to an internship. I applied again but did not get it. What happened to that job I created for myself?

On April 8, 2013 I ate lunch and afterwards I did my affirmations. (After a good meal my vibration is up) Spirit said to look on the career page at Spanx. A job for an analyst had come up. I had dreamed that I worked for this company years ago. I sent in my resume.
They responded that the job had already been filled. I asked one of my spiritual advisers and she said this. Even though sick people who consistently pray for healing sometimes will die. We accept disappointments with grace and thankfulness that the LORD is sovereign, and we trust HIM. I like to think God has something better for me. Romans 8:28 states, “All things work out for good for those who Love God.” Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD , “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

Still out of work, been working temp jobs here and there, but joyfully persistent in searching for the divine steady job for me.

Valeria March 20, 2014 at 3:48 pm

PS: you talk of LOA sometimes on your website.
One thing about law of attraction people seem to miss:
Havoc can also be created in a person’s life, not by your energy (words, thoughts, feelings, actions) but also by the negative energy of another person (their words, thoughts, feelings, actions) in close proximity. You could become ensnared by their mess. That is why you do not want to hang out with negative people because they attract negative situations to them. Proverbs 22:24-25 Do not make friends with a hot-tempered person, do not associate with one easily angered, or you may learn their ways and get yourself ensnared. Birds of a feather flock together. You could be in a situation that you had no control over and Spirit will say GET OUT NOW!! that happened to me once.

Tatiana March 27, 2014 at 6:36 pm

This is really interesting.

So far, my intuition isn’t really helpful for doing things, if that makes sense. Right now, the way I work with my intuition is that I ask it a question and I get an answer. So I’ve gotten really good at figuring out what is my intuition and what’s my longing for something. Especially if I try to ask the same question more than once. But my intuition doesn’t guide me, or tell me to call someone or walk into a store or something.

I don’t really know how you get to that place though, because that seems the most useful. I seem to be in the dark when it comes to what direction to take. :/

Valeria March 27, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Prayer is man talking to God and intuition is God answering back.
Get this book by Florence Shinn “the Magic Path of Intuition”
also star mediating 10 mins a day. Just sit quietly and concentrate on breathing in and out. Say a prayer to connect with supernatural beings of your Highest Good. God is there for protection and quidance…
For instant, I went to a party and I could feel the negative energy there. Spirit told me to leave immediately. I listened and obeyed. Later on I found out a big fight had broken out and some people were hurt. Had I disobeyed Spirit, I am sure I would have been one of those who were hurt.
A great affirmation to say for protection is: The favor and grace of God surrounds me like a Shield. I am divinely protected, wisely directed, excitedly expectant by the Spirit of God.

Valeria March 27, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Prayer is man talking to God and intuition is God answering back.
Get this book by Florence Shinn “the Magic Path of Intuition”

cholecystotomy June 21, 2014 at 3:19 am

There’s certainly a lot to learn about this issue.

I really like all the points you’ve made.

hungry June 21, 2014 at 3:29 am

I know this site presents quality dependent content and extra material, is there any other web site which provides these kinds of things in quality?

www.storenvy.com June 22, 2014 at 11:20 am

Hi there, its pleasant post on tҺе topic of media print, we aall knoա media is a fantastic source ߋf facts.

sexe July 21, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Je peuux vous dirе que c’est incroyaƄlement du plaisir de venir
sur votre blog

iOS 8 beta 3 Download July 25, 2014 at 11:45 pm

Howdy! I realize this iѕ sort օf off-topic but Ι haԀ to аsk.
Ɗoes operating а well-established blog ѕuch as yours require
a large amount of wߋrk? I am completely neԝ to writing a blog but I Ԁо write in mү dkary daily.
I’d liҝе to start a blog ѕo I will Ьe able to share mʏ own experience
аnd feelings online. Ƥlease let me kniw if уօu have any recommemdations ߋr tips
for brand new aspiring blkg owners. Thankyou!