Are you an empath?

Are you an empath?

by Lindsay on August 10, 2010

in Personal Growth, Spirituality

Over the weekend I was playing poker with some friends (why yes, I did win and no, they did not pay me yet).  Sitting at the poker table, I could look at any person in the room – and sometimes not even look at them – and feel what they were feeling. Although this isn’t new to me (I can often feel the energy/dynamic in a room as soon as I walk into it) the intensity with which I was sensing the feelings of those around me was something I wasn’t used to.

I know I’m not special or rare – there are millions of empaths out there. In fact, women, by their nature, are prone to being empathic. Being an empath does not make a person any better than another. It’s simply another ability – similar to clairsentience.

So what is an empath?

• Someone who can’t bear loud noises – it feels overwhelming.
  • Dislikes parties/night clubs/crowds. An empath will stand around at one of these venues/events and wonder how on earth anyone can have a good time and truly enjoy themselves in such a chaotic environment.
  • Suffer from anxiety and/or depression, often for no apparent reason
  • Overly sensitive to people and sense if their presence is not welcome. A tendency to avoid people if they feel like they do not ‘belong’ with that group.
  • Sensitive and aware of how others will feel in any situation.
  • Empaths are often very charismatic and have the ability to draw others to them. They often find that a complete stranger will tell them their life story while standing in line at the grocery store.
  • A daydreamer – someone who is often told they have their “head in the clouds”.
  • Can seem very moody with drastic mood swings. This is mainly due to picking up the emotions of others without realizing it and then reacting to those emotions (this one is heightened for me because I am a Cancer on the zodiac).

Here are some questions to ask yourself to determine if you are an empath. Though I suspect if you are one you already know it!

1. When in public (shopping malls do it to me), do you constantly feel overwhelmed with inexplicable emotions for which you can’t determine the reason?

2. Do you experience other people’s physical ailments?

3. Do you feel overwhelmed when watching something horrible in real life or even on television?

4. Do you ALWAYS know what someone really means? Are you able to read ‘between the lines’ of what someone is saying?

5. Do you feel compelled to care for anyone in pain, no matter who they are and what they’ve done to you?

6. Do people open up to you – even if you don’t want them to?

7. Can you heal others intuitively?

I’d love to connect with other empaths – finding like-minded people can sometimes prove difficult (especially since we’re all avoiding crowds!).

If you like what you read here – subscribe to The Daily Awe. Each month a subscriber is chosen for a free intuitive reading. And spread the love and share the article with friends/family/your neighbor/coworker.

Walker August 11, 2010 at 8:47 pm

It took me a long time to understand even a little of what was going on with me. I feel other’s physical pains as well as pick up moods and emotions. I’ve had to work diligently to learn to protect myself and create a shield.

Lindsay August 11, 2010 at 8:51 pm

How did you manage creating a shield? I find as time goes by my empath ‘abilities’ (if that’s the correct term) are heightened. It would be nice to learn how to shut it off every now and again.

Paula Tevalt September 8, 2010 at 5:21 pm

You are the first I’ve run across that gets that, too. Ever try watching the video shows or Jackass? The skateboard wrecks are the worst! I get shooting pains with every injury.

Lindsay September 8, 2010 at 5:22 pm

YES! I can’t stand hearing about people’s physical injuries or pain…they send shivers up my spine and sometimes I feel the pain too (just on a lesser scale).

Paula Tevalt September 7, 2010 at 6:25 pm

I never put this together with my luck at cards until now! I thought I was just really good, I guess in a way I really was cheating as suspected! Lol!

Lindsay September 7, 2010 at 6:27 pm

lol Paula! But no one you play with needs to know! 😉

Paula Tevalt September 8, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Oh yeah, I’ll be trying to work it now 😉

The Empathic Guide September 10, 2010 at 7:41 am

Hi Lindsay

Thank you for your comment on my blog – great to discover yours, you have some really interesting posts on here. I'll be back for more!

Did you see my posts on being an empath too? You can find them here: http://empathicguidance.wordpress.com/category/em

or here: http://www.empathicguidance.co.uk/articles.htm

I think you're right – recognising that you are highly sensitive and/or an empath is a huge relief. It's so reassuring to know that you're not a freak and that there are people out there who understand what you're experiencing. And it's also great to know what you're dealing with – that way you can take positive steps to make your life so much easier and enjoy the positive qualities of your trait :)

Warmest wishes

Sharon

Lindsay September 10, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Yes I have checked out your blogs/articles and I love them. It just feels so good to know there are other empaths out there who feel the same way I do and experience life through similar lenses. All the best, Sharon! I’ll be visiting your sites often!

Kara September 10, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I felt like a moron, as I just putg the dots together to figure out that I’m an empath. After a lifetime of being a fellow Cancer for starters, but someone who according to others was “too sensitive”, “cries too much”, and who can’t realize that it’s “just happening in a movie”, it was a relief.

I’ve heard Rose Rosetree’s writings on empathy and especially shielding techniques are excellent. I’ve just read her blog a little but will be ordering her book “Empowered Empath”.

I look forward to reading your blog more…

Kara

Lindsay September 10, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Kara you’re definitely not a moron! I spent years hearing those things too – that I’m “too sensitive” and “cry too much.” I’m sure some people still feel that way about me but now I just don’t let it bother me.

It is so validating to know there are other people out there who feel the same way and there’s a *name* for it, even! The shielding techniques ARE excellent and I was hoping to dedicate a future post about that. Tips for empaths in dealing with daily life. Thank you for visiting my blog & commenting! :) I’ll be checking out your site!

Indira Lauterborn October 15, 2010 at 10:53 am

I love the way you write.

Lindsay October 15, 2010 at 11:23 am

Thank you very much!

loans October 16, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Aw, this was a really quality post. In theory I’d like to write like this also – taking time and real effort to make a good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and never seem to get anything done… Regards

Musing Dryad November 11, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Thanks for this! I realized a few years ago that I am an empath, but I don't often meet other empaths to share similar experiences with. It's always great to know I'm not alone!

Lindsay November 11, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Feel free to talk to me any time about it! When I first realized there was a name for all I was experiencing I was ecstatic and eager to talk to other empaths. I find we gravitate towards one another in one way or another. Even online. :)

diana January 23, 2011 at 8:12 am

Wow. So now what do I do?

I have never even heard the word “Empath” before about ten minutes ago. If you read my blog entries, maybe it will be clear that I fall into this category, maybe not, but after reading the list above, I am sort of in shock. That list is a clear description of me.

I have been saying, loud and clear, for about two years now, that for me the most important characteristics that a person can have are compassion and empathy. That realization (a result of a lot of drama and turmoil) resulted in my entering a period of self discovery that culminated with learning that at some very basic level (thank you, Dr. Brene Brown) a person who is whole-hearted is aware of her vulnerabilities and understands the importance of setting boundaries. The boundary setting dogs me, I feel pain, hurt, disappointment and stress from others so intensely that it can land me in bed. If I have caused the disappointment, all the worse. I can barely function.

On the other side, I am a truly caring and compassionate and empathetic person. But now I have to look into what you write here. It’s a new dimension for me.

Lindsay January 23, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Hi Diana,

When I first learned I was an empath and there's an actual name for what I've been living, it was like a huge sigh of relief for me. Followed by a "now what?!" for sure. Have you read the article here "I'm an empath…so now what?" You might find that helpful for first-step tips.

I love Dr. Brene Brown and what she has to say about healthy vulnerability!

If you ever wanna chat with someone, feel free to email me and we can talk empath shop-talk! 😉

anonymous May 19, 2011 at 4:33 am

i have experiences where i have “visions”. after i had an experience where i saw the next year of my life before it happened, i have become somewhat agoraphobic, in one of the segments i saw my friends funeral and blamed myself after he died for a long time even though i had no control over that outcome. All of those symptoms i guess you could say I am very sensitive to. I feel like no one understands and it makes me feel odd at times. i am trying to accept it but i still feel badly if i get angry and so i try to never be angry but i get so upset that i feel like my emotions are up and down at times and dont feel like myself randomly

Lindsay May 19, 2011 at 2:09 pm

When you're feeling upset and angry for "no reason" it is very likely that you are picking up on the emotions of others. And please – don't be upset with yourself when you get these intuitive hits and glimpses into the future. It sounds to me like you could use some ways to hone these skills and really sharpen them to use them in times when you need them or for good. You've got "the gift" as they say!

Patricia - Spiritual Journey Of A Lightworker June 17, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I can answer yes to #3, 4, and 6 and maybe #7 but with #7, I hesitate to say that I have ever healed anyone. I am a Reiki IV level practicioner. I send Reiki long distance to friends, family and sometimes to perfect strangers that I meet on the internet but Reiki teaches that I am just the channel for the healing energy to flow through and that the other person is the one who truly heals themselves.

I see my best friend as being an empath. She could answer yes to all 7 of your questions.

Only in the past 10 years have I started to shy away from large crowds of people. I try to do my Christmas shopping throughout the year just because I don’t like the crowds in the stores at Christmas. I am a Saggitarian who is supposed to love crowds but I always find myself at some point standing off to one side wondering why I feel that I don’t fit in, even when most of the people are my friends. I just don’t feel connected in the way that others seem to or they hide it better than I do.

Paula June 26, 2012 at 8:12 am

Wow Patricia, I started doing the same thing, shopping on line or going to stores when its off season! I would go out and get mad, depressed for no reason. The depression was the worst!!! I love Christmas and I think I remember a time I loved Christmas shopping when younger, but as I got older it got harder and harder to be in those large crowds and keep up my spirits! I with I had known then what I know now I would have protected myself better.

I also feel like I don’t fit most of the time, there are always to many emotions going on. Wow its so nice to know your not alone.

Deniya August 30, 2011 at 10:28 am

greetings from Jakarta,the capital city of Indonesia…i think if i read this article,i’m one of the empath person…i can easily adapt in the place that i go,i can attached anywhere that i want to…i can make friend easily with stranger and feels so close with them suddenly….they will feel that they knew me for long time already,and usually i can react or copycat their good aspects very quick…sometimes i wonder how fast my ability to copycat people…if i see someone in pain,i never hesitate to help them…this is my sharing,loved to know other empath people in this forum…i love this article :)

Lindsay August 31, 2011 at 11:43 am

Hi Deniya and welcome! I’m so glad you found your way to this site. It definitely sounds like you are an empath! Have you checked out the other articles on this site for empaths? Let me know if there’s anything specific you’d like to read about/see on this site!

joy November 3, 2011 at 12:36 am

I get a tingling sensation in my stomach when my husband and i are going to have a bad fight. It has never been wrong and it only happens if its going to be dangerous for me. He has a bad temper, but it is rare. Lately i have been using this as a warning and trying to change my path in my day, if the feeling goes away he leaves me alone. Do you think this is a coincedence or maybe a warning from someone or something else?

Lindsay November 3, 2011 at 9:06 am

I think this is your intuition speaking to you, Joy. I’m so glad you’re listening to it. It could also be a signal from your guides to “watch out” and steer clear of him.

Aiko December 3, 2011 at 5:59 am

I always hated the crowd, up to where I would get off the train or bus in the middle of nowhere because I felt extremely nauseous, and I’d rather wait for 3 hours for an empty/less crowded ride than get on one that is packed. Loud chaotic noises irks me. I cry too easy, especially when watching documentaries or movies about misery and sadness. Even from commercials! I didn’t know I was an empath, I just thought I’m borderline depressed or anti-social; until my best friend linked an article about empaths in her e-mail. What struck me most was the part where “complete strangers telling you their life stories” and “people open up about things when you don’t want them too”. Those 2 get so scary sometimes, that there was this one time, when a complete stranger said that I looked like her son’s girlfriend and she told me SO MANY things about the girlfriend. I smiled and made small replies just to be polite, but in my head I was screaming “wwwhhyy tell me all that??? i don’t even know you!! i don’t even know your son OR his girlfriend!” Actually, I’m still not sure if I’m an empath. I don’t read people so well, although sometimes I do know what to say or tell what they want to hear. And I have no idea about shields. When I’m overwhelmed for no reason, I just chew on mint candies (sometimes 5 in a row) or put on a headphone with loud music. Am I an empath or just super-depressed anti-social?

Lindsay December 3, 2011 at 11:07 am

Hi Aiko – you sound like an empath to me. My advice is to start practicing the ‘shield’ and see how that goes for you. Are you fairly young? Because I think young folks have a harder time with the whole empath thing at first. I know I struggled so much until I hit about 29-30. You don’t sound like a super depressed anti-social person to me – classic empath more like.

Aiko December 4, 2011 at 8:19 am

Thank you very much. I’m in my late 20s, and my ‘ability’ heightened during my 4th year in college after getting out of a bad break-up and stress from finals. My best friend and her brother kind of tried to teach me how to build a shield but I just can’t seem to visualize it much less keep it stable. I get distracted too easily. Is ‘retreating into own world’ considered a shield?

Lindsay December 6, 2011 at 10:25 am

No, that’s not a shield – that’s just hiding away from the outside world. Empaths DO need more time alone, but don’t let that be all you do. :) You will learn in time and with experience – if you have any questions, feel free to email! :)

Lygeia Ferragallo January 17, 2012 at 1:03 pm

With the exception of loving parties now and again, and being a performer (I can be on a stage with a crowd just not in a crowd!) your description of an empath describes me so well! It IS me. I’d love to hear from others who are similar!

Lindsay January 17, 2012 at 1:06 pm

It’s great to know you’re not alone, isn’t it Lygeia?! I’ve learned that extroverts can be empaths, too. Before I thought it was just an introvert “thing”, but I was corrected on that! I wonder if the element to performing that gets you out of your head helps you with being around a lot of people in that case?

Clara March 16, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Hi, I know this is a weird question but… can some people choose to “switch on their sensors” but don’t feel anything at all? Like even though I can feel that someone is actually hiding his/her sadness, someone is hiding his/her true colours, but I don’t really get hit by all these emotions, because they are not part of me? I can still be happy, or even gleeful even if I can feel that someone is hiding his sadness. I suppose by nature, I just don’t care for how others are feeling, so no matter how much I feel their pain, I don’t share their pain. Hence, I do get overwhelmed in crowded places like a shopping mall because of all the different emotions from each individual, but I can still enjoy myself because… I feel what I feel. In fact, I actually like the feeling of getting overwhelmed by all these different emotions. It makes me feel all excited and restless, I will even turn into an extrovert in crowded places at such point. It feel so apathetic, because I don’t care for what other’s are feeling, I won’t even care if they are hurt deeply, so what can I do even if I know how they are feeling? According to what you have written about being an empath, being an empath is such a positive thing. But sometimes I find myself making use of my knowledge of their feelings to find joy… (this sounds evil, but never mind ha). So is this considered empathetic or apathetic or something else?

Lindsay March 17, 2012 at 11:34 am

Hi Clara!

Great topic/questions! The short answer is yes, people can “switch” on their sensors and turn them off. Consider it a blessing that you can easily read people but not take on whatever it is they’re feeling. Most empaths struggle with that!

As far as using your gift by using your knowledge to find joy — I guess I’d need a little more clarification as to what you mean. If you’re using their feelings as a tool of manipulation to get what you want, then I’d say that’s not such a good idea.

Being an empath IS a good thing, but it’s challenging. I haven’t ever thought about using these abilities as a means of getting people to think/feel/do what I want from others b/c it’s so easy to read them. I suppose you could, though (but it wouldn’t be the greatest thing to do!).

Thanks for dropping by! :)

Barbora May 22, 2012 at 2:30 am

I just read your article and the responses and it feels great to know that other people experience the same…I remember when I started being highly oversensitive. I really thought I was losing it…it took me a long while to understand that feeling pysically sick was connected to certain people or situations…especially these famous psychic vampires really know how to do the trick!! 2 weeks ago I got too involved with a friend and her problems. She ended up being hospitalized needing a liver transplant and was begging me for help. I tried to help her..especially by trying to throw all her negative thoughts out of her head, only to realize that she didnt NEED my help…she just needed someone to feel sorry for her. That’s when I started feeling sick and realized that I started having problems with my liver, while her results were getting better! i then decided to cut all the strings and stopped communicating with her. It’s still taking a while to feel better…I guess you can only help people that actually WANT help :(

Shopping malls, grocery stores and churches are a huuuuuuge problem for me. I can feel all the energy and always pray that I dont get “attacked”…Nothing feels worse than standing in line at the grocery store and feeling sick for no reason…so many times I wanted to run out. But I needed the groceries so I had no choice :)

I’ve tried the protective shields, the egg shell, the white light…I’m sure it has helped me…but still not a pro :)

Oh by the way…I did buy a black tourmaline gemstone that I “clean” and energize. It has REALLY helped me. It protects you from a lot of people. I have had 3 break in half for no reason…especially after meeting people with negative energy. I wear it 24/7..If anyone is interested I’ll be more than happy to explain how to take care of the gemstone :)

Lindsay May 23, 2012 at 7:47 am

Hi Barbora!

I’m so glad this article helped you feel better about being an empath and knowing you’re not alone. That story of your friend is a good example of what can happen to us if we’re helping someone else and not protecting our own energy at the same time. And you’re right – you can only help people who are ready for it. Otherwise it’s a huge drain – as you discovered – on our own energy!

I’m curious about the black tourmaline gemstones you carry with you. Where’d you get yours and how would I care for one? I’m only just starting to learn about crystals & gems and would love to hear! THANK YOU!

Heather May 29, 2012 at 6:12 pm

public places are also very difficult for me. My poor husband has to grocery shop for me at times because its just to much for me. Does anybody else have difficulty driving?

Barbora May 30, 2012 at 7:44 am

Heather I also have a huuuuuge problem driving. I used to love driving a year and a 1//2 ago…then I lost control of myself driving once…and ever since then driving can be the most terrifying experience. My heart starts racing, my vision gets worse, I start shaking, feel like I’m about to pass out.

Lindsay May 30, 2012 at 9:09 am

I recommend putting some amethyst in your car under the driver’s seat. That helps absorb your anxiety & is a great stone to carry when traveling!

Barbora May 30, 2012 at 9:29 am

Great! I have an amethyst at home :)

Terri September 19, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Driving is terrifying and stressful for me. Thanks for mentioning the amethyst under the seat. I’ll be trying that. Years ago, I was at an optometry appointment. As I was chatting with my doctor, she began rummaging through a box on her desk. She pulled out a huge, gorgeous amethyst. She handed it to me and said, “Here, this is calling to you. Take care of it.” Anyways, your list describes me to T. I feel like things have been “accelerating” in this regard, too. Thanks for writing such a wonderful blog.

Barbora May 23, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Thanks for your reply :)

I live in Europe, and these crystals are pretty easy to come about at any tea shop..However, I did order a few online. You can easily find some info online

Once you receive your black tourmaline…

Place it in a glass bowl/cup filled with water and a teaspoon of sea salt…I let it there from 12-24 hours. This is done to get rid of any negative energy.

Then I rinse it under running water…and during the night place it under moonlight somewhere by the window. (It’s best to energize this stone during the full moon).

It is best to wear as a pendant close to the heart on a silver necklace

I clean the tourmaline every month

Notice your tourmaline when you meet specific people…it will start having deep cuts and holes. If it gets too worn out (if you see that the shine is gone) or if it breaks do not throw it away, but thank the crystal and bury it into the earth.

There are also times when the crystal will feel hot or start burning for no reason when you touch it…it means that its working and protecting you :)

One last thing….make sure no one else touches it

Hope this helps :)

Lindsay May 23, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Thanks so much for this Barbora! I just ordered myself a black tourmaline necklace on Etsy.com. I’ll let you know what results I get from it! Your help is invaluable. :)

Toni May 24, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Holy wow. I’m an empath. I had no idea. That explains SO much about how my moods are so affected by other people. I never even put two and two together. It also answers the question as to why I have become so reclusive in the past few years. Incredible. How could I be so out of tune with myself?

Lindsay May 24, 2012 at 8:39 pm

You just didn’t have the vocabulary for it! Once you get it (and now you have it), it blows your whole world open. NOW you know you’re an empath and you can take the steps to protecting your energy and not taking on anyone else’s stuff! And you can learn to use it to your advantage. :) I’m here to help you, of course!

Heather May 29, 2012 at 6:08 pm

hello there,

I have always been a extremely sensitive person and have suffered from anxiety and panic for must my life. I have a very hard time being in big crowds and I almost feel like I cannot breath when I am around people. I can read people very well and know their intentions. I recently stumbled upon the term empath and I would love to talk to others who feel they are empaths. Also, I was wondering if anybody else has a hard time looking people in the eye when you first meet them, for me its almost overwhelming.

Paula June 25, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Hi Lindsey and everyone,

I think I first knew when I was 14 my sister who was 17 was having a baby and whenever I was around her I “felt” like I was having a baby. I choose as much as I can solitude, being with a lot of people is exhausting. But honestly I never new why until I got older. I went to clubs when in my 20’s always had fun but I would be tired at the same time sometimes sexually attracted to people who I didn’t find attractive in that way. It was more recent that I have noticed it more, and feel so distracted and sometimes out of control I don’t know really how to explain, but I think you know what I mean. I am also a cancer born July 16 1963. My mom would say I was emotional. lol I also have been feeling like I should be doing “healing” work. Odd that I am almost 50 and all of this is just now coming out, right. lol

Lindsay June 25, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Paula your birthday is a day before mine! I was born on July 17th! :)

I can totally relate to the empath “symptoms” you listed that you’ve had. Welcome to the club! I find the more ‘out’ I am about being an empath, the more empaths I meet. Birds of a feather & all thta!

Lindsay June 25, 2012 at 8:01 pm

PS – It’s never, ever, never too late to get started on anything we feel called to do!

Paula June 26, 2012 at 8:20 am

Thanks for your reply.

I have to say it is really comforting to know so many of “us” are out there. That it’s more then just being “emotional”. lol

I feel relief to know so many others have and are going through this. I sometimes block it by changing my own emotions from what I am feel to making myself feel different, like lets say I am happy and suddenly I feel depressed or sad which happens a lot when I am in church, I sometimes suddenly want to cry, I start to think about happy things, as much of them and as fast as I can, it does help sometimes. I sometimes go and sit by the lake or the pool being around water helps I don’t know why, or I talk to nature, sounds silly I know, but it does help calm the mind and the emotions. I am so glad I found you Lindsay, that is in it self a miracle! Blessings and Love

Paula

Jordan Lightworker August 20, 2013 at 12:42 am

Everything has perfect timing! :) There is a reason you opening up now!

Paula June 26, 2012 at 8:22 am

P.S How about that Birthday thing! Right.

Dylan Lin Calista June 26, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I don’t really know when I started having ‘symptoms’ because it feels like forever.

The worst for me is when I’m in crowds. It could even be Christmas shopping in the mall! There were times when I’d just stop and stand and I feel such a surge that drains my energy. By the time I reach home, I feel like I’d been in a fight or something because I’d feel so tired, it was just crazy.

One of the most interesting things that’s happened to me was when I went for vacation with my partner. I was in the car sleeping during the trip and when we finally reached our destination which was a place where a lot of people died violent deaths (some tourist spot) and spooky church. I did not know the history of the place. I didn’t know ANYTHING about the place.

We were the only people there – the place closes at 4pm and we arrived just in time for closing but a lady who was the head of tourism at the place let us in and gave us a private tour.

As I walked through the door of the old church (the foyer was converted into a showcase room filled with photos), I had goosebumps and I said : ‘Something…or SOMEONE is here.’ I don’t know why but I felt it.

No one said a thing. As we continued to walk, I felt such an overwhelming sadness that I wanted to cry. And so we kept walking until we reached a well. Our guide finally gave me a little background history on the place we were at. A lot of people died violent deaths because of war.

At the well, she asked if I felt a female presence and I said no. But what I said was, ‘children’…did children die here? And that’s when she was surprised and said, there was a small school next to the church that caught fire but she wasn’t sure if kids died there.

Then we moved along to another part of the area…and there were 3 doors on the side of the church. I kept looking at one of them. The guide asked me why. I said, I don’t know…something really bad happened there. I just don’t know…and it turned out, the door I was referring to was the room where a priest hung himself instead of being tortured and killed.

And finally…when we got into where mass was held, I was looking around and I said, ‘something doesn’t feel right here…’ I kept staring at one part of the church and when I was asked why, the only thing I could say was, ‘the sunlight doesn’t shine the same in that area.’ — and it turned out, the area I was looking at used to have a stairway where some people tried to escape…from being killed.

I don’t know if all of this counts as being an empath or something else…but it sure did have me wondering why. Why was I able to pick up on these things? And, suffice to say, it scared my partner so the entire time we were there, she was like : ‘Okay, I don’t wanna know. Keep away from me.’

Robin February 22, 2013 at 6:32 pm

I have known I am almost 50 and have known I am an Empath for a couple of years. I am my bosses only employee. I have worked for him for 6 years and I like my job. I have known from the start that he is an alcoholic but in the last year he has had some major personal life issues besides the alcohol issue. I feel so very empathetic and have felt the need to support him and not only been doing my job but taken on part of his and because he brings his personal life to work and now is so very absent minded, I find myself fixing his mistakes on a regular basis now. It has made my job three times as times as hard and so much more time consuming. I am too the point that I want to quit but I know it would take so long to train someone knowing he can’t afford to pay for that while the new person is being trained and I know he would have such difficulty training someone. I just don’t know what to do. If I leave it would help me feel less emotional pressure but I think I would be consumed with guilt for leaving him stranded in his time of need. Oh did I mention the company he works for will be eliminating him and his position in the next 5 years and I have said to him in the past I would stay with him till the end. Please advise anyone….

free ebook downloads for ereader July 20, 2013 at 12:23 am

Own some thing a little bit more distinct??? To illustrate, product reviews or
perhaps material regarding empath. How do I sign up to
your articles?

nicorette anti smoking reviews July 22, 2013 at 11:36 am

Have actually anything considerably more specialized?
?? Such as, reports or posts relevant to empath. Could I sign
up for your articles? :)

Jordan Lightworker August 20, 2013 at 12:35 am

I am completely 100% the same way. And it is a relief to know that there are others out there who feel the same way! I have known for a few years now what it meant to be an empath. I have tried to explain to my boyfriend or friends and it is extremely hard to explain. Especially when your friend is skeptical. So I do know what it is like. My boyfriend will watch things on TV or shows with torture, murder, etc. I CANNOT do it. I look away or it is literally traumatizing. I am extremely sensitive. The shopping mall totally speaks to me too. I get extremely tired/exhausted/grumpy after shopping because of all the excess emotions and energy that I pick up. I am gay. I love to shop! lol But I have to get in and out or else I will be totally drained and overwhelmed. I am in nursing school and I have worked as a nurse aid for 5 years because I feel drawn to help others and work in healing arts. I had orientation for school today for the last semester and I was sitting in the little classroom where there were about 30 of us packed in. The Energy was stifling. I could feel everyone’s anxiety as we discuss all that we have yet to accomplish this semester. It was 3 hours of being bombarded by anxiety. I have my own anxiety and depression but sometimes I dont know if it is me or someone else’s. lol Today it was certainly both! lol
I have major mood swings because of shifts in energy or when I can tell I am not wanted somewhere, like you mentioned. But i could never be angry with someone for not wanting me around because they never said anything like that, I just feel it. I can feel when my boyfriend is tired or aggravated at me or something. Being an Empath has been a wild ride. I would not change it for the world. Sometimes when I am feeling very disconnected spiritually I will actually not feel it and it scares me. Because I have always been this way. So I stay connected because it is a part of who I am. It is a part of who we are! There is a reason we were given this. <3 I am ready to continue learning and growing and embracing life. We must love ourselves. Even if being an empath is exhausting sometimes! lol :) Light and Love, all!
So glad to see others with similar experiences.

Ailani August 23, 2013 at 9:09 pm

okay soooo i know for sure i am empath, because i know someone’s feelings before they tell, because i feel it myslef when i am near them or whenever we start talking thru via email, text, facebook etc.
and i hate watching all those sad commericals and i hate tradgey movies because i get this kinda empty heavy feeling in my stomach, if that makes sense?
but i am very social, i love parties and dances and i love going to the mall, sometimes when i hear loud noises it does get me distracted, acutally i get distracted very easliy especially by noises but i somehow control during parties or other soical events.
but yes there are times when i prefer to be alone in lately i would rather be in my room finishing my homework or reading a book or being with one other person but sometimes i just crave human interaction and plus i LOVE to dance.
so i guess what i’m asking is am i truly a empath?

Jessica February 23, 2014 at 8:41 pm

I am new to The Daily Awe and I’ve enjoyed reading the articles and the comments. I have been on a spiritual journey hunt today, as I feel somewhat lost. I first read about the Spirit Guides and will take when I read and apply it to my everyday, to see if I can move along on my path.
I know for sure than I am an empath and I used to confuse it with having a mass amount of anxiety come crashing down on me, randomly. I felt like something was always wrong with me until one day, I realized that I would pick up things from others and take ownership of them on top of my own issues.
I am a much happier person now that I have become more aware of how I feel, when I am around others and in different places aside my own home.
It’s like a jigsaw puzzle….
Trying to figure the many aspects of spirituality and the tools out is very mind boggling. I wish everyone well on their journey.
I hope I am able to reach the highest peak before I am moving beyond this body that I am occupying for the time being :)

Love & Light!

Teena May 29, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Thank you for this informative explanation of empaths – I always just thought I was really weird! Your list was all too familiar. I’m feeling that this might help me “own” some of the characteristics I have been embarrassed about. Thank you so much!

meredith July 27, 2014 at 10:45 am

Hi well being a nurse makes it all the worse lol.i spent years trying to work out why I went home sick or with a pounding headache and guess what, picking up on everyones emotions. It nearly drove me spare. The only thing I find that helps is a white light of protection and asking my guides to protect me. As for parties and crowds, they can keep them. Love and light.

Nicki August 13, 2014 at 3:55 pm

I have always known that I feel things differently than others. I have often said that my soul purpose in life is to love others and to make them happy. I have always seen it as a weakness, until recently. I know that this is my gift. I feel lost in life as far as a career path goes. I’d love to help others or some how utilize my gift. I am looking for guidance, advice, or really just looking to talk with other’s who feel that they experience the same things as me. I am so glad that I found this site. I feel like my angels and spirit guides are working hard in my favor today to help me key in on things that will help me “find myself”

Apple Stock Price March 2, 2015 at 10:45 am

I like the valuable info you supply in your articles. I

will bookmark your weblog and check again right here

regularly. I am slightly sure I’ll be told plenty of new stuff proper right here!

Good luck for the following!

quest bars February 8, 2016 at 11:53 am

A fascinating discussion is worth comment. I think that you ought to publish more about this subject
matter, it may not be a taboo matter but generally folks don’t
talk about these issues. To the next! Best wishes!!

{ 7 trackbacks }