Over the weekend I was playing poker with some friends (why yes, I did win and no, they did not pay me yet). Sitting at the poker table, I could look at any person in the room – and sometimes not even look at them – and feel what they were feeling. Although this isn’t new to me (I can often feel the energy/dynamic in a room as soon as I walk into it) the intensity with which I was sensing the feelings of those around me was something I wasn’t used to.
I know I’m not special or rare – there are millions of empaths out there. In fact, women, by their nature, are prone to being empathic. Being an empath does not make a person any better than another. It’s simply another ability – similar to clairsentience.
So what is an empath?
- Someone who can’t bear loud noises – it feels overwhelming.
- Dislikes parties/night clubs/crowds. An empath will stand around at one of these venues/events and wonder how on earth anyone can have a good time and truly enjoy themselves in such a chaotic environment.
- Suffer from anxiety and/or depression, often for no apparent reason
- Overly sensitive to people and sense if their presence is not welcome. A tendency to avoid people if they feel like they do not ‘belong’ with that group.
- Sensitive and aware of how others will feel in any situation.
- Empaths are often very charismatic and have the ability to draw others to them. They often find that a complete stranger will tell them their life story while standing in line at the grocery store.
- A daydreamer – someone who is often told they have their “head in the clouds”.
- Can seem very moody with drastic mood swings. This is mainly due to picking up the emotions of others without realizing it and then reacting to those emotions (this one is heightened for me because I am a Cancer on the zodiac).
Here are some questions to ask yourself to determine if you are an empath. Though I suspect if you are one you already know it!
1. When in public (shopping malls do it to me), do you constantly feel overwhelmed with inexplicable emotions for which you can’t determine the reason?
2. Do you experience other people’s physical ailments?
3. Do you feel overwhelmed when watching something horrible in real life or even on television?
4. Do you ALWAYS know what someone really means? Are you able to read ‘between the lines’ of what someone is saying?
5. Do you feel compelled to care for anyone in pain, no matter who they are and what they’ve done to you?
6. Do people open up to you – even if you don’t want them to?
7. Can you heal others intuitively?
I’d love to connect with other empaths – finding like-minded people can sometimes prove difficult (especially since we’re all avoiding crowds!).
If you like what you read here – subscribe to The Daily Awe. Each month a subscriber is chosen for a free intuitive reading. And spread the love and share the article with friends/family/your neighbor/coworker.