Meet your spirit guides

Meeting your spirit guides

by Lindsay on May 5, 2011

in Intuition, Readings, Spirit Guides

Guides are like our guiding light that's always on

Every human being on this earth has a group –or, as I like to call my group, a “posse” – of spirit guides and angels watching over us at any given moment. From the moment you were born, your primary guide was with you; that guide will continue to be there until the day you “cross over”.

Spirit guides – I often tell the people I do readings for  – are human souls who haven’t incarnated at this time. They’re just like we are, essentially. They have human thoughts & emotions. In fact, your spirit guide may very well be a soul you have shared a previous life (or lives!) with in the past.  When I used to think of spirit guides, I considered mine to be some all-knowing entity who was somehow “above” me. A mystery. Some enchanting, mystical soul – the likes of whom I could never be like. Now I know she’s just kind of like a best friend who is always there and is in no way better or higher than me.

Not all guides stay with us like our primary guide does. And at any given time, we can have a varying number of spirit guides who are with us. It depends on what stage of life we are in and what sort of things are going on in our at the time. For instance, if you are going through a change of any sort,  you most likely have a special assignment guide to help you through that time.  If you’ve recently lost someone close to you, chances are you have more than your usual number of guides there to comfort you and help you get through the grief.

No matter how many guides you have with you, there’s no doubt about it – they want to be (and have been) in communication with you. Our spirit guides often ‘speak’ to us in ways that we sometimes just overlook. That song on the radio with the message in it that seems just for you. Your fortune cookie “fortune”. Graffiti on a building that you pass every day and never notice, but suddenly catches your attention and speaks to you. It happens every day. Sometimes, though, it’s hard to know if it’s our guides speaking to us or just our imagination.

Establishing a connection with your guide(s) and acknowledging it is a helpful step to getting clearer communications from them. Once you know your guide and feel like you’ve met (even though you already have on a soul level), it’s a little easier to open up the lines of communication and anticipate what sort of guidance you can expect from them. But how do you connect with your guides?

Druid Journal has a fantastic (and free!) meditation that I initially used to try to meet my guides. Others I’ve shared this with have had mixed success. I always tell people to be patient – chances are you won’t get the results you’re hoping for on the first try. I didn’t. The moment you drop the trepidation and expectations is the moment you will relaxed and, most likely, more open to meet your guide(s). You can find the meditation here:

Meet a Guide Meditation

If meditation isn’t for you, why not try talking out loud to your guides? Just do it in private, perhaps! Ask for signs that they’re around or validation that they’re here. It’s not always easy to connect with our guides — sometimes our emotions and expectations can often get in the way. Practice and patience are essential.

If’ you’ve connected with your guides — how do you do it? Share some tips with others here in the comments!

Okay. So my phone doesn't quite look like this.

And, (drum roll please)….

I’m now offering readings via telephone (and still through email), for those interested! Each reading will last 45 minutes and afterwards I will provide you with a follow-up write up to highlight the important stuff we’ve talked about. (I know it’s so easy to forget!) Check out my Intuitive Readings page for more information and email me to set up a time for your reading. And for the phone-phobic folks out there, I am still doing email readings, too!

Get weekly posts delivered to your inbox: subscribe to The Daily Awe.

If you liked this article, share it by pressing one of the buttons below (scroll a little!). It’s that easy and I’d be grateful!

Julie May 5, 2011 at 11:42 am

Hi Lindsay, Great minds think alike, I just posted on getting messages from your guides through songs on the radio :)

The first time I “met” my guides (saw their faces and asked for names) was actually when I was having a professional massage as a special treat. I realized I was so relaxed that I might as well try.

I personally have the sense that even though I know my own guides aren’t “above” me, they are at a higher vibrational level than I currently am so in my mind they deserve a certain degree of, if not exactly reverence, then at least respect. As you say it is kind of like a developing friendship.

Yea on the phone readings!!

Maria Cosby May 5, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Great post Lindsay. I’ve personally known my guides for a few years now. I can see them clearly as can be in my minds eye without even meditating. I’ve got Thomas, Andrea and Sandra. I have others too, but they come and go. Andrea left me at one time because her job was done. It was so upsetting that after a year I asked her to come back. I missed her terribly. Thomas…OMG, must have been my hot and heavy lover in a past life because he very easily gets sidetracked and can be quite grumpy at times. He does not like that we are apart like this. I have all 3 of them in my ear all day long. I find it completely comforting. I do a test every morning with Thomas…he knows my body and physiology the best of all of them. I ask him what my weight will be to the tenth point. For instance, he’ll say 154.6 and it will be dead on. It’s my way of practicing my communication with him. :-)

Lindsay May 5, 2011 at 11:06 pm

The relationship you have with Thomas is pretty incredible, Maria! I can't say I'd want my guides guessing my weight (just because I don't want to know it!) but it's amazing how accurate he is. Just shows how connected we are to our spirit guides.

It's interesting that you really felt the loss of Andrea's presence, but not at all surprising. Did she come back when you asked?

Maria Cosby May 6, 2011 at 11:21 am

Thomas and I are connected deeply. He’s by my side all day, every day. Yes, Andrea did come back. Although, she doesn’t stay by my side like Thomas does. She’s been nurturing me since I was a baby. Andrea was, essentially, my mother. When she left, I had a hole in my soul the size of the grand canyon. She told me it was her time to go and I cried for 3 days. Even now, I’m choking back the tears. I love her like a maternal figure. I am who I am because of Andrea, not my mother. That’s a horror of another kind, but I’m working through that and they are helping me. You wouldn’t believe the message they sent me on my computer today. I’m so blown away by them.

Patti Foy | Lightspirited Being May 8, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Great article. So many people are interested in this topic, and especially how to do it. I think it’s great you pur a few options here because there are probably as many ways to do it as there are people!

One thing that helped me a lot and has helped people I’ve coached is that the experience of connecting might not be what you are expecting it to be. In other words, it happens, but you don’t recognize it as that because you’re expecting something else. (I’m sure you know what I mean!)

Thank you!

Lindsay May 10, 2011 at 11:08 am

Oh, I absolutely agree: often the contact from our guides isn't what we are expecting! So many of us find that particularly challenging. We keep thinking we're not getting the messages when really, they've just been in ways we haven't ever considered! Thanks for commenting, Patti! I just love your site!

Anna Barlowe May 12, 2011 at 11:27 am

I too am in extremely close communication with my primary spirit guide, Daniel, a young Jewish man who was my lover in my most recent past lifetime, until we were separated by tragedy. In fact, much of my blog is about him and our journey to be reunited. If anyone is interested, check out the category “Daniel’s Story,” which is separated into chapters for convenience.

Daniel primarily communicates by using special lights that he turns on to let me know when he’s around. He’s very sweet and helpful, although he won’t give me direct information about much of anything. We are very attached to each other, and he is with me constantly. It’s nice that everyone else can see him too, so they don’t think I’m just a nutty nutball! :)

Leah July 13, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Really enjoyed reading this article. Actually, your whole website for that matter!

I am uncertain if this is unusual or odd in any way, but I named my spirit guide. When I first met him, he did not tell me his name, and based on his appearance, I dubbed him Delta. I suppose that means I don’t know his true name, but he doesn’t seem to mind, and responds to Delta as well as to D. At first I only had limited contact with him and could only talk through meditation but now I can just ask things in my mind anytime. Sometimes get a reply, sometimes don’t. I think he is intended to be my logical balance because I get so clouded with emotion sometimes that his attitude helps clarify. He and I were once married in a past life, a long time ago in Egypt, and he said since then he prefers to watch over me and make sure I am protected because he could not fully protect me then. <3

Lindsay July 13, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Leah that is an awesome story! I don’t think it’s silly at all that you gave your guide a name. I did, too! I think many of us do that. How’d you come to find out that you two shared a past life? Did he tell you? Incredible. I’d love to hear more about your story and how you ended up being in touch with your guide, etc…Thanks for sharing here!

E March 15, 2012 at 4:26 pm

All of these people saying they ‘met’ their guides, saw them, have names, etc. I don’t get it. I read about this stuff a lot, and pay attention to signs (do not expect it to be massive mystical thing, i note when i see a bumper sticker, or a song that gets stuck in my head i hadn’t heard in years, i make note it might be something to pay attention to, etc) But i do not even think i have one ‘guide’ much less a ‘posse’.

I am very receptive to this sort of thing too. It’s interesting all of the people who are convinced or know they have all of this support and i can bank on not even having one. Why i keep reading about this stuff beats me. Wishful thinking perhaps.

Lindsay March 16, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Hey there,

I think a little healthy scepticism is a good thing. That being said, what your experiences are can be and are totally different from someone else’s. Just because you don’t think your guides communicate with you in one way doesn’t mean others’ guides don’t.

I am certain you probably have at least one guide. Your curiousity about them (guides) leads me to believe that you will eventually have some sort of sign/contact from there. Keep an open mind. :)

Krishna October 29, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Can you command tour spirit guide to do physical stuff? (i.e : move objects, pull objects, etc…) if yes then how???

Z January 19, 2014 at 6:20 am

Im interested in this because I’ve recently had a situation where I found out about someone cheating on me because I felt the urge to go to his house when he was telling me he was somewhere else. I’ve never followed these feelings before and always regretted it so for once I did, and uncovered everything very quickly. When he asked why I can I said “something told me to”… A few days after a note came up on my phone “we are the council”, with “council” highlighted. I must have written it myself ages ago but it somehow came up in my pocket just as I was wondering who helped me. So now I feel like my guides are getting in touch with me very openly and I also want to be open to them

Z January 19, 2014 at 6:30 am

Krishna, I just read your post before mine: why would you want to so that? You have arms, you can move things yourself presumably…

NixGigi September 8, 2014 at 3:33 pm

I read all of your replies & stories & feel a sense of connection with all of it…I have always had this funny feeling inside me ever since I can remember but as of late it is just getting stronger & stronger. My feelings are so intense & overwhelming at times that all I can do is cry to release some of the intensity I guess is the best way to put it. My father is very intuitive, my mom is the same, my sister shuts down or crashes computers when she walks into a room. I myself never understood it could be me shutting down street lights when I pass by until I read this on your page. It has made me feel scared recently when every street light I passed shut off, also my phone battery drains like you wouldn’t believe & it happens to every phone I’ve ever had. Ever since I was little everyone I come into contact with be it at a store on the street wherever stares at me especially children are in awe of me & it’s in no way that I say this out of being full of myself or conceited I am quite the opposite never been sure of myself because of being so different from everyone else. I have been with friends & family that point out the same thing about how EVERYONE I come into contact with stares at me…it’s almost as if they can see something in me that I can not. If there is anyone out there that can help explain all of this I would be so appreciative for some insight.

MrsGentle October 24, 2014 at 10:27 am

Hello! Completely new to this, but I wanted some advice.
Always been fascinated by everything to do with spirits and spirit guides but never really looked much into it?
I’m a nurse and had a terrible terrible few days at work – emotionally draining. So last night, I chose to try meditation and to try and find out my spirit guide and who they were… I meditated for about 30 mins, deep breathing and such and I felt myself climbing a set of stairs… At the top of these stairs was a door which opened into the roof space of this building – the weather was awful – real turmoil. Dark thunder clouds, but no rain. I felt oddly at peace and calm there, stood watching out across my hometown. In amongst all the darkness was a figure – wearing bright white.. I instantly felt the presence to be male. He had blonde blonde hair – almost white. He didn’t say anything to do me initially or even look at me… But the name Ryan instantly came to me. I don’t know anyone called Ryan nor have I nursed anyone with this name in the 6 years I’ve been nursing. I instantly heard the words “Robyn, you are ok. Everything is ok” and I woke up.
This has fascinated me beyond belief! SO, I tried again today – this time I listened to a guide meditation… It asked us to follow a path – I immediately found myself in a forest.. Once again, it was relatively dark and gloomy but I found it peaceful.. I followed this path and through a tunnel, I found a gate – I pushed open this gate to find “Ryan” stood there. I knew straight away who it was, however this time he was wearing “normal” clotheS – a pair of dark trousers and a brown coat – he put out his arm and I placed my arm through his… And then I came out of meditation. I feel like I know this person, like completely at ease with whoever they are and I feel calm.

Could this be my spirit guide? I feel like it’s my
Imagination running away with me.. But I feel so oddly calm in Ryan’s presence…

giuseppe zanotti outlet February 8, 2016 at 2:38 am

Hi there! This post could not be written any better!
Reading through this article reminds me of my previous roommate!
He constantly kept preaching about this. I will send this post
to him. Pretty sure he’ll have a very good read.
Many thanks for sharing!