Are all children intuitive? Why we're born with the gift and (sometimes) lose it

Are all children intuitive? Why we’re born with the gift and (sometimes) lose it

by Lindsay on May 16, 2012

in Intuition

Noa Jane with an angelic presence near her

All children are inherently intuitive – we are born with the gift of intuition. In fact, children and babies often rely on the their intuition more than the other five senses. Any baby who is sleeping peacefully and then placed in the arms of mean Uncle John and immediately starts wailing can demonstrate that.

As humanity evolves, the energy of our children is changing. Children born today are more consciously “awake” than children born even 20 years ago. These souls remember they are spiritual beings, and they vocalize it almost as soon as they are verbal.

A couple of months ago, I had a very candid conversation with my nieces. Apropos of nothing, Meredith (4) exclaimed, “You know we’ve lived lots of lives, right!” I was so amazed to hear that come out of her mouth – as if it is fact. Her statement spurred a conversation between us and her sister Mallory (8) about the past lives we think we might have lived and what we’d like to come back as in the next one. To them, the conversation was as natural as talking about what we’d like to have for lunch. No doubting, no second-guessing.

When Noa (the baby I gave birth to 8 years ago) was just 11 months old, she called me “Mama” without any prompting. Certainly no one told her to do this and this word wasn’t a part of her daily vocabulary at that point because she lived with two Daddies. But yet, she always instantly snuggled in to me when we were together and eventually called me “Mama” on her own volition. She knew.

When I worked as a nanny many moons ago, one of the little boys I looked after had an “imaginary friend” who went by the name of Radio Rainbow. This “imaginary” friend would often communicate with Ben and tell him things about me that I was thinking or feeling – nothing I shared outwardly. Radio Rainbow even once had a conversation with loved ones (of mine) who had passed away. When I asked Ben what Radio Rainbow looked like he once said, “Like a light! With rainbow hair!”

If you’ve spent any time with children, it’s likely you have a story or ten about their intuition and ability to communicate with spirit, feel what we’re feeling and “remember” who they are. Unfortunately, most soon learn from adults and our “Doubting Thomas” society that the only valid ways to receive information about our world are through an analytical process and the other five senses. Our sense of intuition is buried, not cultivated. If our spiritual, intuitive abilities are not nurtured, we often lose them

If you are raising an intuitive child or have one in your life, here are some ways you can support him/her:

• Stay open to her perceptions without judgment.
  • Try to stay grounded when you hear what he is saying – don’t inflate the story or put words into his mouth.
  • If the child is an empath, realize that she may need your help in learning how to manage the more stressful parts of picking up on other people’s feelings. Plenty of alone time and yes, even meditation, is good for empathic children.
  • In that same vein, help him learn to distinguish between what is “his” and what belongs to others. Help him determine whether what he’s feeling is someone else’s mood, aches, pains, or worries. Gently remind him not to feel responsible for how others feel.
  • Help her feel comfortable with feeling and seeing life through an intuitive lens and let her know she is not alone.
  • Encourage him to develop these skills, just as you would any other talent such as soccer or painting.

If you or someone you know is raising an intuitive child, I highly recommend the book Raising Intuitive Children.

Do you have an intuitive child or were you intuitive as a child? What tips or advice would you offer to someone who loves an intuitive child? Please share your thoughts with us!

Ängry umlÄut May 16, 2012 at 8:15 pm

My 5 year old said (when he was 3) “you’re my wife” while tapping a finger on his palm. Serious tone and out of the blue..then went to “when are we going to the park?” Haha! It was odd. Especially since wife is not in his vernacular. My husband calls me a million nicknames but never says “wife”! He also described an ex bf (amicable ending ) and said his name. I pulled out several photos, group shots etc. And placed on the counter as i kept doing busywork. He snapped up the picture of my ex (who sadly committed suicide, he was bipolar off medication) and said his name excitedly then sobbed when i tried to take the picture to put away! He said he told himk jokes and “draws on mommy” (he was a hilarious person in his life and an avid artist..none of these things my son knew. He had also been dead for ten years!) I was one of the last who saw my ex and often think of how i wish i knew his sadness. Interesting but iwas floored. He heard things now, doesn’t “see” them. We heard something in our home at the same time once. I just explained it is normal and not to be scared. I told him no matter what he can tell me what he sees/hears and never be worried i’d doubt him. I experienced a few similar things as a y year old and my mom never believed me. I am not making that same mistake!

Lindsay May 17, 2012 at 6:52 am

Wow. That story pretty well amazes me – I’m sure your ex boyfriend has been around ‘talking’ with your son. Gives me chills! Your son is lucky to have you as a mom to help him foster his gift and keep it! And I bet you WERE married in a past life! Very cool.

Julie | A Clear Sign May 17, 2012 at 5:54 am

My two are opposites. The one slogs through life like he is physically weighted down and completely unobservant on his surroundings while the other one scampers, runs, climbs and sees the other world fully while he is busy being an active boy. I have noticed that as the younger one gets older he seems to be losing that very vivid and active connection. He is only 4. The older one articulates and analyzes what the other one sees and experiences, as if he’s been processing it for 2 years. Out of the blue he’ll comment on it as if he’s finally digested it.

Lindsay May 17, 2012 at 6:55 am

Pretty cool that your older boy articulates what your little one sees and experiences. I’d say together they are a pretty dynamic pair! I can see it when I look at their photos – how they navigate through the world differently. They’re lucky to have a mama like you.

AJ | OpenPsychic May 17, 2012 at 9:26 am

I love those stories! I’ve had similar situations happen to me, but not to that degree. It’s quite incredible that she even remembers living many lives before this one. It makes me wonder if we’re not subtly aware of our past lives be we’re forced to forget by our parents programming. I don’t really remember if I was an intuitive child.

Lindsay May 18, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I’d love to hear your story, AJ! So if you don’t remember being intuitive as a kid (you probably were anyway!) when did you start to become more aware of your gifts?

Karly May 18, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Slightly off topic, but while we’re on the subject of kids… Lindsay, what do you think about the whole theory that children who have “imaginary friends” may actually be speaking to their spirit guides? I ask because my mother always liked to tell me how I had a “friend” named James, who I apparently used to speak to and treat as a real person. I either had an overactive imagination (which I still do, actually…) or there was something else going on!

P.S. What a gorgeous little girl Noa is. She looks just like you!

Lindsay May 18, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Hi Karly!

I’d bet dollars to donuts (or however that saying goes…) that you were communicating either with one of your spirit guides or a soul who either previously lived in your home or was a member of your family but wasn’t a guide. I spoke with spirits as a child, too. These “imaginary” friends usually aren’t imaginary at all, in my experience!

And thanks for the compliment re: Noa! I am totally biased but I think she’s the prettiest child alive!

susan gale May 19, 2012 at 7:02 am

Thank you for a refreshingly down to earth article on intuitive children! It is a relief to know you are so very down to earth about this natural way of being!

We call “imaginary” friends, spirit friends and “ghosts,” spirit people.

Caron had an extensive interview with us and these words you print are very familiar!! :o)

dance in the light!

Lindsay May 21, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Thank you so much, Susan! I’m considering expanding my services to work with intuitive children & their parents. We shall see! All the best to you! <3

Ängry umlÄut May 19, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Lindsay i think your daughter is lucky to have three parents who adore her! I hope you share your experiences with her as she gets older. I would not be surprised if she inherits some of your gifts! So fascinating. Your kids (as souls) choose you so it’s a neat way to look at it. Cheers.

Lindsay May 21, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Thank you SO much for your kind words! That makes me feel good. I’ve not a doubt in my mind little Noa is an empath. Whether or not she’s got other intuitive abilities has yet to be determined, but I’m willing to bet she does! Thanks so much again. 🙂

Mary March 27, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Hi, I’m just in the process of discovering my own intuitive side, after a few intuitive healers have told me its all under the surface bursting to escape :).. I was talking to my children about some courses I’m about to undertake and suddenly one of them asked about the others “imaginary friend” when they were little. Both had imaginary friends, as did I, and they always got up to all sorts of trouble – odd things for a 3 year old to say, like they were in the old factory and they died, and “Boris” who climbs tree, fell down had to go to hospital. It has just dawned on me that perhaps there was so much more to it. 🙂 fascinating…

Lindsay March 27, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Absolutely, Mary! We all know children have lively imaginations. But in this case, I really do believe imaginary friends are actually spirits/souls the children are seeing and communicating with.

Best wishes on your intuitive development, by the way!

Mary March 27, 2014 at 7:23 pm

thank you so much! Im really excited about this new journey, and suddenly realising/understanding past events that I didn’t connect with before. I believe that both my children have the ability too, although its not as apparent as it obviously is in others. But to have them suddenly ask about their imaginary friends when we weren’t discussing that at all or about them being part of intution just made me think OH!! 🙂

EO January 27, 2016 at 2:02 am

You’re so cool! I don’t suppose I have read through something
like this before. So nice to discover somebody with a few genuine thoughts on this subject.
Seriously.. thank you for starting this up.
This website is something that is needed on the internet, someone with a
bit of originality!

Special Offer January 29, 2016 at 4:56 am

Could it be dialogue driven with a small cast easily fit in a link of locations?
Due to the reactivity, the particular compound is
often sealed in an airtight box. Keep the door individuals – whether a
man or even a woman.